Pugsly's FG rebuild thread

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The SRW 285/75R19.5 Toyo's are 35.4" diameter.
Stock 235/85R16 are 31.7"
When you consider that changes you from 100" of travel per revolution to 111", it effectively changes the stock final gearing from 4.875 to 4.365.
As a result I can now cruise down the highway 60 mph at 2300 rpm.

I'll add, I'm seeing the same 'real world' change when I switched to Super Singles also in my case. My 325/80-16 (36.5") gives me about 2400 rpm at 60 mph (a 2002 so 5.714 final gearing). What a difference it makes in crusing down the highway. Plus the very high sidewalls of the 325/80-16 have done wonders for the 'suspension', pretty much a smooth ride all the time now on the highway. I'm happy driving at 55 and now the Fuso is also.
Almost perfect now except for pulling 6% grades. I always have to down shift to 3rd, so 35 mph (that is loaded with 2000 lbs of ATVs and camping gear and pulling a 1500 lb dunebuggy).

Pugslyyy, when are you going to start working on engine mods (computer, injectors, water/methanol, etc), so 'we' can stay in 4th gear on the grades ? :smiley_drive:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'll add, I'm seeing the same 'real world' change when I switched to Super Singles also in my case. My 325/80-16 (36.5") gives me about 2400 rpm at 60 mph (a 2002 so 5.714 final gearing). What a difference it makes in cruising down the highway. Plus the very high sidewalls of the 325/80-16 have done wonders for the 'suspension', pretty much a smooth ride all the time now on the highway. I'm happy driving at 55 and now the Fuso is also.
Almost perfect now except for pulling 6% grades. I always have to down shift to 3rd, so 35 mph (that is loaded with 2000 lbs of ATVs and camping gear and pulling a 1500 lb dunebuggy).

Pugslyyy, when are you going to start working on engine mods (computer, injectors, water/methanol, etc), so 'we' can stay in 4th gear on the grades ? :smiley_drive:

I'd love to look at computer mods, but I don't think there is anything available in the US!

pugslyyy

My last big post was the tire carrier fabrication - now time for the install.

I already use a Superwinch LT2000 winch in the garage for loading/unloading the motorcyce and have been happy with it - so picked up another one for loading/unloading the spare from the rack. The tire/rim is around 175 pound of dead lift, so much better to use a little hoist than try and manhandle it.

Because I wanted to use the LT2000 as a short hoist (rather than ATV self-recovery device) I decided to convert it from a wire-rope winch to a strap hoist (same type of strap you would use on a hand-winch to load your boat back onto the trailer).

I modified the drum to accommodate a strap, and am very pleased with the results. For lifting a tire a short distance, the non-dynamic, non-twisting/rotating strap makes life easy.

The high moment of the tire carrier, especially with respect to fore-aft motion, is my largest concern. The dual-receiver setup does a great job of holding the weight and resisting lateral motion, but the height of the tire above the receivers makes fore-aft oscillations an issue to be dealt with.

I took a two-pronged approach.
1. Vibration dampers at the middle and top of the tire carrier.
2. Positive retention of the 2" square tube in the receiver hitch (the square tube is bolted to the hitch, doesn't just have a bolt passing through it)

01 tire carrier install - no spare.jpg
02 tire carrier install - hoist closeup.jpg
03 tire carrier install - side vibration damper.jpg
08 tire carrier install - plate relocation.jpg
10 tire carrier install - upper vibration damper (exterior).jpg
11 tire carrier install - upper vibration damper (interior).jpg
12 tire carrier install - upper vibration damper (interior with trim replaced).jpg
16 tire carrier install - tire mid-hoist.jpg
17 tire carrier install - tire stowed.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
What is to prevent the theft of the spare tire? I am confused.

It looks like a nice tire rack. Are the red strap and the winch strap the only things keeping it on the truck? (yes I saw the two small nubs sticking up, I mean is there a bolt running from the frame through the wheel etc, or similar?)

Cheers

pugslyyy

What is to prevent the theft of the spare tire? I am confused.

It looks like a nice tire rack. Are the red strap and the winch strap the only things keeping it on the truck? (yes I saw the two small nubs sticking up, I mean is there a bolt running from the frame through the wheel etc, or similar?)

Cheers

It's strapped down to hold it in place - believe me, it isn't going anywhere. The biggest theft prevention is that it is big, heavy, and 5 feet in the air. Someone could cut the straps and flip it down, but then they would have a very unusual truck tire on a very unusual rim. Unless they had a Fuso and were taking the other 4 tires as well while they were at it, I don't see how it would be much use.

pugslyyy

Fixed the front roof vent out yesterday. What a mess! If you remember from Doug's build, this was a dealer installed option (not factory) and was a disaster from the get-go. The ceiling is still pretty stained from the water leaks.

I didn't take photos, but it looked like someone had used an axe to cut the hole in the roof - jagged torn edges with radiating cracks and chips in the fiberglass. The vent came out quite easily, because there was no caulk or tape or butyl between the vent and the roof. They had just plopped the thing in the hole and screwed it down. Doug had issues with leaks that he caulked (screws and edges) which held up until now but during a recent rainy weekend it started leaking again.

Also, when I pulled the vent out about 200 ants dropped down onto the bed beneath. :(

Anyway, I put down butyl tape between the roof and the vent, screwed it down with new stainless screws (they had used steel screws which were rusting into oblivion), and then laid down 4" eternabond all around. Either the butyl or the eternabond are independently capable of doing the job, but I like the belt-and-suspenders approach.

At $60 for 50 feet of length, eternabond isn't cheap - but it will be my go-to product for leak/body repairs and is worth the price. If something damages the fiberglass camper (a tree limb, bashing something going down the road, etc) this is the way to patch things up again so you can continue on.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It's strapped down to hold it in place - believe me, it isn't going anywhere. The biggest theft prevention is that it is big, heavy, and 5 feet in the air. Someone could cut the straps and flip it down, but then they would have a very unusual truck tire on a very unusual rim. Unless they had a Fuso and were taking the other 4 tires as well while they were at it, I don't see how it would be much use.
Man, You must have a much higher educated group of crooks on the right coast*
Here on the left coast they will do $2000 worth of damage to steal a radio they can get $10 for (aka: 1 rock)
At least throw a cable lock around that, or I’m going to start watching the NC Craigslist for an extra spare that will almost match mine.
* - I’m not believing that, my son is stationed at Camp LeJeune, and the stories I hear, rival the left coast

pugslyyy

Man, You must have a much higher educated group of crooks on the right coast*
Here on the left coast they will do $2000 worth of damage to steal a radio they can get $10 for (aka: 1 rock)
At least throw a cable lock around that, or I'm going to start watching the NC Craigslist for an extra spare that will almost match mine.
* - I'm not believing that, my son is stationed at Camp LeJeune, and the stories I hear, rival the left coast

Yep, I do plan on securing it with a cable lock.

btw, anyone interested in 8 FG standard rims/tires?

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I expect that people do not need a reason to take something, just an opportunity. That is why I asked. Not that I figure anyone would need your tire, but if they will break your windows, why not take your tire? Sorry to be melancholy.

pugslyyy

I've been quiet this month because we've been on the road since September 1 - so today is now our 21st day living in the truck, not a big deal for a lot of folks here, but our first time doing this in the Fuso. We're planning to get home October 1 giving us a full month on the road.

I did have to do the traditional 'last minute just before departure critical repair' (alternator replacement) but pretty smooth sailing otherwise.

German Overlanders at Craters of the Moon
craters of the moon overlanders.JPG

Camping in the Badlands
SD Badlands campsite.jpg

Custer State Park (Black Hills)
SD Custer State Park Tunnels.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Tires will be the Toyo M608Z 285/70R19.5, one of only a few Fuso SRW options that does not require derating the rear GAWR.
I've been very happy with the way the new wheelset is performing.

I hope your travels have been un-eventful mechanically since your wheel stud, and very eventful from a travel standpoint.
I'm wondering now that you have a fair amount of miles on the Toyo tires, how they have worked out and your take on them?
-
I was on Gonnatrack's website today reading about their South America adventures, and went over to their Super Singles page ( http://www.goannatracks.com/Home/Super_Single_Rims_for_Canter,_Isuzu_%26_Iveco.html)
They did not seem to be too "up" on the Toyo M608Z tires
" 19.5 x 8.25” mounted with Toyo 2M608Z 285/R70/19.5 -These are extremely heavy duty 16ply tubeless tyres designed as steer tyres for logging trucks. Because they have such a strong side wall, airing them down for off road use is useless. To get a reasonable footprint they must be aired down so far that one is likely to break the bead. On road, the suggested travelling pressure (120psi) is so high that the vehicle rides like a concrete truck. Tyre Height: 877mm ( 35 inches) Sidewall Height: 199mm Total tyre + rim weight is a whopping 80Kg"
-
So I am wonder how they have been working on the Robinson Fuso?
Thanks,

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Haven't done much travel since getting home in October (and nothing in the Fuso, just a long weekend in Chicago), in fact I drained all the water tanks today and purged the lines in preparation for winter. (I may still use it so didn't pour in antifreeze but just didn't want to get caught by surprise with an early cold snap)

6200 miles on the Toyos with no drama. Anything from highway speeds to crawling down desert washes in low range 4x4. The tires have stiff sidewalls, so airing down doesn't make sense - and with the weight of my truck I'm not sure it would ever make sense. I've found that if I am going to have traction issues I'm going to end up high centered - the reason for the winches and pull-pal. That said, I haven't had to use my winch in anger since I made the switch from duallies to the super singles.

For what Goannatracks is doing (looks like they derate to 4000 pounds max per tire) there are plenty of options. The reason that you go with the M608Z is because it will handle 6400 pounds - that's a lot more load. To compare them to a lower load rating tire is not apples-to-apples - all things being equal the lower rated tire is going to way less and have more sidewall flex.

I'm also not sure what they mean about inflating them to 120psi. Going by the Toyo load inflation table you should not be going over 80 psi (up to 4470 pounds per tire).

I like the Toyos - they are nigh indestructible, which is what I want (thanks to their logging-truck heritage). I wouldn't be surprised if years down the road I'll be replacing these tires due to dry rot - not wear or mechanical failure.

If I were lighter, I would probably run recentered 24 bolt HMMWV wheels with their double beadlock.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I hope your travels have been un-eventful mechanically since your wheel stud, and very eventful from a travel standpoint.
I'm wondering now that you have a fair amount of miles on the Toyo tires, how they have worked out and your take on them?
-
I was on Gonnatrack's website today reading about their South America adventures, and went over to their Super Singles page ( http://www.goannatracks.com/Home/Super_Single_Rims_for_Canter,_Isuzu_%26_Iveco.html)
They did not seem to be too "up" on the Toyo M608Z tires
" 19.5 x 8.25” mounted with Toyo 2M608Z 285/R70/19.5 -These are extremely heavy duty 16ply tubeless tyres designed as steer tyres for logging trucks. Because they have such a strong side wall, airing them down for off road use is useless. To get a reasonable footprint they must be aired down so far that one is likely to break the bead. On road, the suggested travelling pressure (120psi) is so high that the vehicle rides like a concrete truck. Tyre Height: 877mm ( 35 inches) Sidewall Height: 199mm Total tyre + rim weight is a whopping 80Kg"
-
So I am wonder how they have been working on the Robinson Fuso?
Thanks,

Hi Mog, very keen to hear some feedback from Pugslyyy too but since you quoted that page......and this comment has been said by other members before..... there is a lot of "spin" in what is said here. In Australia there is another term for it.

Regarding the Toyo M608z:

The rim and tyre weight is not 80kg......It's 76kg.

The rolling diameter is not 877mm ..... It's 899mm. ....Petty maybe but if you are going to quote specs on your website thinking somehow to boost your own sales, maybe the specs should be accurate.

The recommended tyre pressure on a typical FG is not 120psi......that is the maximum pressure at a wheel load of 2900kg which could mean a 4x4 truck weighing 11600kg!!!! A truck weighing 5000kg will use approximately half that pressure.

There has never been a report to us of anyone breaking a bead when airing down......not saying you couldn't pop a bead if you tried but never has anyone reported this actually happening and we're talking after a couple of 1000 M608z sales now.....and some guys have dropped down as low as 20 psi to get out of a jam too.

Most importantly they were not designed as "Steer" axle tyres for logging trucks.......the M608z is an "All Position" tyre for use on a wide variety of surfaces (hence the Mud+Snow rating) .....however they are also highly recommended as a "Drive" axle tyre on any trucks that require extra traction. Am sure they would make a great drive axle tyre for any logging truck too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman