Pull Pal or Hi-Lift?

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
one thing that I expected someone would have brought up by now is making a deadman. I have buried my high lift and used it as an winch anchor point. Of course this only works in certain soils. And yes you need to be aware that the jack could break free and with enough stored energy in the cable become a projectile.

Crowfly

@Kohburn: Yikes! Think about that hi-lift failing catastrophically because the rail got tweaked/twisted/whatever during a pull-pal-party ... gulp! Think about the patent lawyers ... oh crap!

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
@Kohburn: Yikes! Think about that hi-lift failing catastrophically because the rail got tweaked/twisted/whatever during a pull-pal-party ... gulp! Think about the patent lawyers ... oh crap!

There are some great photos here from a Toyota guy, stuck in the mud in Death Valley, burying his spare tire and using it as a recovery point to winch himself out. Great pictures and a textbook recovery.

MOguy

Explorer
I bought pull pal used it once and bought a winch the next week. I was not comfortable standing between my stuck vehicle and the anchor point witching out my vehicle a few feet at a time. I still carry my hi lift with me. I don't use it allot but it come in handy on occasion.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I bought pull pal used it once and bought a winch the next week. I was not comfortable standing between my stuck vehicle and the anchor point witching out my vehicle a few feet at a time. I still carry my hi lift with me. I don't use it allot but it come in handy on occasion.

In my experience a winch is necessary but not always sufficient. There are many places where to appropriately use a winch you just have to have a pull-pal along as well. I've had a number of self recoveries that just plain would not have happened with winch alone.

MOguy

Explorer
In my experience a winch is necessary but not always sufficient. There are many places where to appropriately use a winch you just have to have a pull-pal along as well. I've had a number of self recoveries that just plain would not have happened with winch alone.

I was thinking a pull pal was another name for a come along, now I know the difference. My Jeep is pretty capable. When I see something in think might cause a problem I usually a avoid it, if I am alone. There are surprises but places go there are multiple anchor points. I do carry a hi lift, pulley, shackles, chain and a strap.

If I am setting out to look for terrain that is that rough are deep in it don't go alone.

If I lived in an area where anchor points weren't as abundant as where I am or I traveled deeper in alone in would get a pull pal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle