Pulled the trigger on a 30 watt Powerfilm foldable solar charger.

coldwarkid

Observer
I am relatively new to solar chargers. But I have been doing a bit of research. I ended up deciding on a Powerfilm foldable panel that would not only serve me today but also down the line (think Adventure Trailer). Right now my only power requirements are trickle charging the battery in the jeep for listening to the radio and maintaining power levels for a newly installed Constant Duty VIAIR system. The air system will only be used periodically campside to blow off camera equipment etc., while the Jeep is not running. Other than that, I see an Engel 45qt. in my near future. I ended up getting one of these guys:

Powerfilm 30 Watt Foldable Solar Charger (F15 – 1800)

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/military/foldables/30wtechdata.html

and one of these:

Charge Controller
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/military/foldables/30wtechdata.html
RA - 9

and one of these:
15 Ft. Extension Cord w/ Alligator Clips

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/military/foldables/accessories.html#8

Does anybody have experience with this or a similar model? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:bigbossHL: I've used SOLAR to charge my trailer battery, all last summer for 5 camping trips
and without setting up a COMPLETE dual battery system--A GOOD SOLAR PANEL IS INDESPENSIBLE

I've also used the SMALL trickle charger, to keep my vehicle battery TOPPED off, during any long shutdowns

My SOLAR panel is a 60watt CRYSTALLINE CELL panel, that will put out 2/3 amps in full sun and that can last all day

IMGP0670-1.jpg

They take a little care and remember, they are around 80% efficient, in FULL SUN, so you will have to devote a LITTLE time, to the placement of the panel and except for the little ones (1.5/3 watt) ALLWAYS USE THE CONTROLLER

GOOD LUCK

:roost: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

coldwarkid

Observer
Jimbo,

Your camp set up is outstanding. I did find out that the rigid panels are much more efficient the the soft panels, as you probably already know. My problem is space issues. In addition, I thought it would great for travel outside of the US. My intentions are to purchase a voltmeter and log the environmental conditions along with the output of the panel, before the charge controller, and document the data, lets say every 30 minutes, over the course of a day. If I have the time to do this over the next few months I can calculate a general output based on conditions and so forth.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:REOutShootinghunter Thats a good idea CW, but

coldwarkid said:
Jimbo,

Your camp set up is outstanding. I did find out that the rigid panels are much more efficient the the soft panels, as you probably already know. My problem is space issues. In addition, I thought it would great for travel outside of the US. My intentions are to purchase a voltmeter and log the environmental conditions along with the output of the panel, before the charge controller, and document the data, lets say every 30 minutes, over the course of a day. If I have the time to do this over the next few months I can calculate a general output based on conditions and so forth.

Remember, that the solar panels can put out up to 23 volts, (12v type) and you can't incur any load, BEFORE the controller and never, hook up directly to a battery (before controller)

Always place the panel to "full face sun" and try to keep any shadows away from the face, (major efficiency drop)

Otherwise, unless you drop it or a branch falls on it, should last quite a few years (no moving parts)

:26_16_2: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo Well CW, any SOLAR CONTROLLER that you buy nowadays, I'm pretty sure is adequet-if you stay below the CURRENT limit stated in the mfg info

coldwarkid said:
Jimbo,

Based on the requirements I listed above do you think that this charge controller has adequate specs? What kind of controller are you using? Thanks.

Charge Controller
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/produc...wtechdata.html
RA - 9

I got my controller from NorthernTool.com and it's SunForce 7 amp controller

It's designed for 12v sys and will handle panels from 10 watts to 105 watts--FOR BATTERY CHARGE

Just remember, your powerfilm panel is JUST for trickle charging, like the red one (1.5 watt), in one of my pics

Your panel will only provide 1.5 amps on a GOOD exposure and will generate 15 volts, so it doesn't need a controller

My panel, which is 60 watt and basically puts out 23 volts-NEEDS A CONTROLLER, to drop the voltage to 13.?? volts for 12v battery charging, but

I have SETUP other 12 volt outlets so I can operate additional DC gear, while it's RECHARGING MY BATTER (TRAILER)

Don't assume that your 30 watt panel is to small, it just has a limited application

Mine is for a different purpose, I have a 700 watt inverter hooked up to my sys also

The technology is improving steadly and is expensive, you just have to PLAN your requirements ahead of time and get a little MORE, than you need !!!

:campfire::safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

coldwarkid

Observer
Jimbo,

I appreciate the input. Your system looks well thought out. I definitely want to get a hardside panel someday but this is just my introductory panel for use with Jeep. There is a price gap between the two and this one was a hard pill to swallow, but I was able to consolidate some other gear to pay for the entire system.

2 questions:

Are you also using one of the SunForce panels?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329427_200329427

"It's designed for 12v sys and will handle panels from 10 watts to 105 watts--FOR BATTERY CHARGE"

How do you calculate the topend of a controllers maximum wattage capacity?
(strange question?)

Thanks.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:clapsmile Can't fool you CW, thats exactly the one I bought in Feb, this year and the instructions and performance is flawless

coldwarkid said:
Jimbo,

I appreciate the input. Your system looks well thought out. I definitely want to get a hardside panel someday but this is just my introductory panel for use with Jeep. There is a price gap between the two and this one was a hard pill to swallow, but I was able to consolidate some other gear to pay for the entire system.

2 questions:

Are you also using one of the SunForce panels?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329427_200329427

"It's designed for 12v sys and will handle panels from 10 watts to 105 watts--FOR BATTERY CHARGE"

How do you calculate the topend of a controllers maximum wattage capacity?
(strange question?)

Thanks.

The Sunforce controller they supply with that panel, would handle (as stated) 105 watts, now that controller isn't designed to PIGGYBACK solar panels to produce more wattage

The only reason you need a CONTROLLER for the mobile systems, is to controll the voltage provided for lead acid/gel/ and elex device batteries, (CHARGING)usually the controllers will limit the solar panel output to MAX 13.?? volts, to prevent overvoltage/drive-boiling-KABOOM

I have my Sunforce hard wired in direct line from the 60 watt solar panel to the trailer battery and all my other systems are seperate circuits, OFF THE BATTERY, with subsequent fuses-they don't need any controller ie:

DC lights
inverter
DC heaters
radios
DVDS

ETC, AGAIN all you need a controller for, is to control the voltage output of any solar panel

---------------FOR BATTERY CHARGING---------------------

Now, of course they make much larger controllers for multiple solar panels and they have fairly detailed instructions, for additional wiring components

Not for my simple, little, TENTRAX camping trailer and single trailer battery

My 60 watt panel, used 8/10 hrs each day of good sun has kept my battery topped off for all night use, I also have several other battery condition meters and ammeters installed, but they're only for my camp trailer modification enjoyment !!!

Finally, that Sunforce 7 amp charge controllER is a good safety device to use with any solar panels, but again just for CHARGING BATTERIES and it has indicater lights to tell whats happening with the SUN EXPOSURE

Just don't wire it into OTHER CIRCUITS-direct between solar and battery !!

:26_7_2: :suning: JIMBO

coldwarkid

Observer
I received the panel. When I get a new voltmeter I'll do some initial testing, and pics, over the turkey day break....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:costumed-smiley-007 "Great" CWK

coldwarkid said:
I received the panel. When I get a new voltmeter I'll do some initial testing, and pics, over the turkey day break....

If you measure the voltage output, under direct sun, you'll see in excess of 23 volts DC, so be sure and use the BATTERY CHARGING controller, that will drop the voltage down to below 14 volts

Notice how much the panel output, DROPS, when you pass your hand over the panel, momentarily blocking the sun

These are touchy little suckers

Good day

:clapsmile :suning: JIMBO

coldwarkid

Observer
So today I had an opportunity to test out out the new PowerFilm 30w solar charging system. It was brief, as the family was in tow. I was able to test it with a multimeter without any devices or peripherals connected at the end point for about 30 mins.

Log Entry #1

Date: 11-27-08

Time: 1430

Weather: Mostly cloudy skies.

Temp: 70 F.

Multimeter Max DC Output: 19.70v????????? I tried converting this back to watts:

X 1) P=watts
Volts x Amps= watts
19.7(multimeter DC reading) x 1.8(manufacture spec) =35.46 watts

FAIL!
This is deathly wrong....Help?

I'll keep doing this as a hobby on upcoming trips and to determine the actual average output of this panel. After gathering a sufficient amount of data I'll repost the results, once I figure out the conversion :confused: .

Attachments

• DSCF2085 50.jpg
    DSCF2085 50.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF2068 50.jpg
    DSCF2068 50.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF2028 50.jpg
    DSCF2028 50.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
Don't forget that the 19.7 volts you measured was with no load. The panel wasn't putting out any real current to drive the voltmeter.A more realistic measurement could be taken with a known load connected to the panel (ie: a power resistor).

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo Yea, CWK, remember that any of these panels are only 80 %, efficient at FULL SUN--

762X39 said:
Don't forget that the 19.7 volts you measured was with no load. The panel wasn't putting out any real current to drive the voltmeter.A more realistic measurement could be taken with a known load connected to the panel (ie: a power resistor).

And your flexible panel, has diff. outputs from each segment, but overall--whats the problem???

None of the solar panels will work very good on a cloudy day and your MAX output, will be 23 volts +++

Like (762) says, thats with no load, but you're probably at 40/50% effeciency, on the cloudy days and once the sun gets down to afternoon exposure--you get down to 20/30%, if that much

I look forward to your further posts

I'm 500 miles from home now and I'm "surfing"

:bike_rider: :REOutIceFishing: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears