Pulled the trigger on a 30 watt Powerfilm foldable solar charger.

coldwarkid

Observer
JIMBO said:
:archaeolo Yea, CWK, remember that any of these panels are only 80 %, efficient at FULL SUN--

And your flexible panel, has diff. outputs from each segment, but overall--whats the problem???

None of the solar panels will work very good on a cloudy day and your MAX output, will be 23 volts +++

Like (762) says, thats with no load, but you're probably at 40/50% effeciency, on the cloudy days and once the sun gets down to afternoon exposure--you get down to 20/30%, if that much

I look forward to your further posts

I'm 500 miles from home now and I'm "surfing"

:bike_rider: :REOutIceFishing: JIMBO

Jimbo, you were right about the power drop when you pass your hand over the panel. But before I could do that, an acrobatic paraglider got the jump on me. Consequently, she was hot! And yes my voltage dropped as I glanced over to see me wife's hands on hips staring at me, staring at the glider chick....

Alright anyways, I think I get it. With no load attached, the voltage will always run higher than if a peripheral is connected. Which in turn will drop the free unrestrained voltage down. And when a load is connected, will the equation render a accurate measurement in watts right?

Volts x Amps= watts

I am impressed with the 19.7 volt output considering the weather conditions and look forward to seeing what the averages will be. I wish I had measured it before and after the charge controller, next time. I think I might have get the Sunforce 60 watt panel next. The wife is going to love that one...:bigbossHL:

762X39

Explorer
Don't be discouraged by all the what ifs...We purchased a 20 watt panel for my dad's trailer about 20 years ago (at a cost of $500 back then) and it was fine for topping up the battery to keep the incandescant 12 volt lights and the water-pump running on his Jayco travel trailer for 10 years.We didn't even think to use a charge controller back then and only boiled 1 battery dry.Charge something with the panel and enjoy it.

coldwarkid

Observer
teotwaki said:
No pic of the glider chick? :bike_rider:

Since you asked... Of course! She actually almost high-fived a standing dude on one swooping pass unfortunately said dude was not me... At this juncture I was done looking at the solar charger.

Attachments

• DSCF2071 60.jpg
    DSCF2071 60.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF2070 60.jpg
    DSCF2070 60.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 49

coldwarkid

Observer
Una mas... Unfortunately I didn't get her telephone number...Maybe I need to step up my game...Wait, I'm married...Just forget it....I give up. Maybe I could get that seagull's number...:REOutShootinghunter

Attachments

• DSCF2069 59.jpg
    DSCF2069 59.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:punk03: Well, CWK, since you're becoming practiced at SUN effects

coldwarkid said:
Una mas... Unfortunately I didn't get her telephone number...Maybe I need to step up my game...Wait, I'm married...Just forget it....I give up. Maybe I could get that seagull's number...:REOutShootinghunter

Just start practicing your SUN/MIRROR messaging and you can do all of it SILENTLY !!!

:suning: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears