Pulley Block and Shackles for a 10,000# Winch

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
NOTE: the warn pulley block shown above is not to be used with synthetic line! (according to the warn engineer I spoke with)
Did the person say why not?
The sheave is very smooth.
I can't see how the rope might get between the sheave and housing, which might be another worry.
There is a bit of roughness in the housing face that the rope might rub against if you were somehow pulling at such an angle that one run of the rope angled up and the other one angle down. But that could be easily fixed by opening up the block and soothing the spots.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
more

Antichrist-
Called warn again and was told the same thing- no. I asked why and was told that the sheave is not polished to a level that is required for a synthetic line. Also, the synthetic line will shrink (in outside diameter) to some degree under load causing it so fit further down in the groove and (i was told) that it will not be fully supported.
They guy said everything will probably be fine- however warn for the second time has stated that they do not stand behind their snatch block in use with synthetic line.
I am speaking only of model#63490 and have not inquired about other models.

jrose609

Explorer
Antichrist-
Called warn again and was told the same thing- no. I asked why and was told that the sheave is not polished to a level that is required for a synthetic line. Also, the synthetic line will shrink (in outside diameter) to some degree under load causing it so fit further down in the groove and (i was told) that it will not be fully supported.
They guy said everything will probably be fine- however warn for the second time has stated that they do not stand behind their snatch block in use with synthetic line.

Alex, any ideas? suggestions?

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Hi All,
Received my P/N: 1240 snatch block from Allen Machine today and as far as I can tell it is exactly the same as my Warn 15640 block (in every detail). The difference in cost to me was $35 vs $175. I called Warn about my Warn 15640 block (the 24k model) and asked about using it with synthetic line and was told it was ok, no problem. As far as crushing the line, the shape of the pulley wheel appears to be the same as my old ARB block used with the Tacoma, which was supposed to handle up to 1/2" line.
BX

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Antichrist-

I have not used that WARN snatch block before, but I have used the 61560 WARN snatch block with synthetic rope in the past. What the WARN guys told you about the rope shrinking under stress is partially true. Rope like AmSteel Blue, or our basic rope is looser then Master-Pull Superline or Superline XD. So when those loose ropes are put under stress they will compress slightly. A Superline will not change dimensions and neither will a Superline XD, so I would see no problems using those ropes with any snatch block that is smooth to the touch.

But since I am probably not going to be out wheeling with you guys, use your best judgement. If you have a snatch block that is chewed up from steel cable, don't use it with synthetic.

-Alex

racewave

I see D ring shackles are sized 3/4" or 7/8" or 1", anybody know what that means? I need D shackles big enough to place around the closed loops on the front of my F-350 which are made of 1" diameter material.

housedad

Observer
Actually, the size is the diameter of the shackle metal in the bow section. I refer you to the diagrams at:

7 ton WLL shackles from Mcmaster-Carr part #3663T44
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

The size of the pin on a 3/4" shackle is 7/8". A 5/8" shackle has a pin of 3/4"

Last edited:

rezdiver

Adventurer
x2

the size of the shacle is definately a measurement of the body and not the pin, a very very common misconception even by professionals in the field.

rezdiver

Adventurer
Alex,
I understand putting in a plug for a product but you should clarify exactly what it is that you quoted as rated to 62000lbs.

i think if a person is asking what the sizes on a shackle means, then they should not be quoted a number like that without an explanation.

a 3/4inch shackle on most brands is rated for 4.75 tons or 10500 pounds Working Load Limit. Some brands may exceed this or be less than this. The load rating must be rated and stamped on the shackle.

The size that is listed is the diameter of the pins. You will probably be safe with a 3/4 inch shackle, the ones we sell are rated to 62,000 lbs.

-Alex

Last edited:

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Alex,
I understand putting in a plug for a product but you should clarify exactly what it is that you quoted as rated to 62000lbs.

i think if a person is asking what the sizes on a shackle means, then they should not be quoted a number like that without an explanation.

a 3/4inch shackle on most brands is rated for 4.75 tons or 10500 pounds Working Load Limit. Some brands may exceed this or be less than this. The load rating must be rated and stamped on the shackle.

I misread his original post, and have deleted mine as it was not applicable. I originally quoted the breaking strength of a 3/4 inch shackle at 62,000 lbs, the WLL (working load limit is stamped on shackle) and is rated for 4.75 tons.

-Alex

racewave

I was asking about the actual gap size in the bow at its narrow spot (at the location of the pin) with the pin out. I did find one spec sheet on the net that had a 3/4" shackle shown with the gap at 1&1/4",which would fit around the the 1" thick front recovery closed loops on my F-350. Almost all the sites show a WLL and many show pin size and ultimate failure load rates, few show the bow gap opening size. Is pin size the lenght of the pin overall? The length of the pin smooth grip non threaded area? The length of pin exposed in the installed position (same as gap)? Or is this the diameter of the pin?

racewave

I just noticed that I missed the chart of shackle sizes on the link from an above post,it answers all my questions, thanks. I wonder if the dimensions are industry standard or vary with every manufacturer? Thanks again.

housedad

Observer
Federal Specifications RR-C-271D stipulate all the dimensions on rated shackles that meet their specs. So it is pretty much a industry standard for rated stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater