Pulling a Heavy Trailer Offroad - A Good Tow Vehicle

Cortttt

(I posted this elsewhere but I think this is probably the appropriate place).

I have never towed anything - let alone an 8000 lb (maxed out) trailer (Conqueror 19) on dirt roads.

I'm not worried about national forest roads - it's getting stuck in the desert I'm worried about. I've gotten stuck many times - but not with a big trailer :). I'm pretty conservative where I go as well. I'm not a daredevil.

So the question is what is the best or at least a sufficient tow vehicle?

Right now I'm looking at Chevys and Fords.

Does anyone have experience towing a heavy trailer off-road with GM's 6.0 liter or Ford's 6.2L? My concern is low-end torque and getting unstuck. These would be the most economical buy for me if they work.

The newer 6.6 (Chevy) or 7.3L (Ford) would be fine - they apparently have massive low-end torque. One in my price range, though, would probably have high miles (80-100K).

The diesels, of course, would work. One in my price range would either be older or have 90-100K miles on it, though, and I worry about problems with emissions.

Since this came up in another Forum - why a hugely expensive trailer and a less expensive tow vehicle? We'd actually love to buy a cheaper trailer - and the Oliver is an option. The problem is that I have significant chemical sensitivities and the Conqueror has an all-aluminum interior plus my partner requires a standup shower. Right now its either the Conqueror or the Oliver (which I know will work for me as well.)

Any suggestions would be helpful :)

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I really don't consider 80-100k high miles, actually I almost never buy anything with less than 100k on it. Just my op, I have no use for warranties would rather get a fully depreciated price on a vehicle with plenty of life left to it.

Would think short wheelbase with winch and at least one locker and a stuffed recovery kit would be what I'd want for towing offroad

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I think the conversation should be switched to "what recovery gear do I need for a 3/4 ton and a heavy trailer". I wouldn't go anything under an F250/2500. An F150 with max tow package *could* get the job done but you'll want more strength.

You'll likely be fine going Chevy or Ford for your truck option, I'd base that on which one is more comfortable and if you prefer IFS or Solid front axle.

Think more along the lines of Tire options, Locker/s, winch, traction boards, tow ropes, etc. Having the right gear for your application will give you more of a fighting chance than the make of your tow vehicle.

Cortttt

Both trailers have sealants in them
Yes. Nothing is perfect, I know the Oliver will outgas just fine as I've been in one that's a couple of years old. The Conqueror is a bigger question - a new one was a bit problematic but it was also miles better than any other trailer I've tried. All in all it provides more - king bed/shower - more robust - but it's more chancy, for sure.

Last edited:

Cortttt

I think the conversation should be switched to "what recovery gear do I need for a 3/4 ton and a heavy trailer". I wouldn't go anything under an F250/2500. An F150 with max tow package *could* get the job done but you'll want more strength.

You'll likely be fine going Chevy or Ford for your truck option, I'd base that on which one is more comfortable and if you prefer IFS or Solid front axle.

Think more along the lines of Tire options, Locker/s, winch, traction boards, tow ropes, etc. Having the right gear for your application will give you more of a fighting chance than the make of your tow vehicle.
Thanks! I have plenty of recovery gear. It seemed like every time I got stuck in the 2wd Chevy van I added something else - 3 sets of traction boards, hi-lift jack, pro-eagle jack, the balloon that blows up - exhaust jack? - and tow ropes. There was a time the hi-lift jack and pro-eagle jack were out of commission and the exhaust jack was the only one left - and it worked (thank the gods).

That heavy van (9000 lbs) actually broke both the hi-lift jack and the pro-eagle jack at one time - even though both were rated to take it. The pro-eagle was an early version - may have been a design flaw as I saw that others had the same problem. They gave me another one and its worked just fine. It's my go-to jack now after I got whacked underneath the chin by the hi-lift after my attention lapsed during a long recovery in the sand. Luckily it just left a bump but it scared the crap out of me.

Glad to hear that any of the 3/4 tons - that's good news :)

Last edited:

Cortttt

I really don't consider 80-100k high miles, actually I almost never buy anything with less than 100k on it. Just my op, I have no use for warranties would rather get a fully depreciated price on a vehicle with plenty of life left to it.

Would think short wheelbase with winch and at least one locker and a stuffed recovery kit would be what I'd want for towing offroad
I like it! the SWB/locker/winch and recovery gear - I have quite a lot after getting stuck in my 2wd van - sounds good to me. Thanks!

Corbet

Observer
Pick a diesel truck you like then invest in a large recovery kit, avoid traveling solo over difficult terrain.

I don’t tow anything that heavy but have a couple trailers that see offroad duties behind a LandCruiser. It’s way easier to get stuck and much harder to unstuck. Especially solo. You generally get one attempt on a difficult obstacle or it’s recovery mode.

IMG_8018.jpeg

Cortttt

no doubt, I was a builder and the market for people sensitive to oil and gas products used in melamine, lino, carpet is huge. My sister is sensitive to cedar aroma, it congests her instantly

I am sure you have done the due diligence for your family.

Back to towing. Sure you can buy a massive diesel 4x4 lift it, regear it, floatation tires but fact is if you get that stuck.....

I'd look into 4x4 clubs, not sure if there are courses but find a way to get exposure and mentorship. Sand can be deceptive but it sounds like you are gaining experience. With a big heavy rig far from civilization, learn to back out, turn around BEFORE getting stuck.

This is me on a high mountain pass once I hit snow, knife the trailer, drop it, turn around, recouple and go home. Saying I don't think so early is what counts.

View attachment 785026
That was exciting! Things can happen in an instant. Congrats on getting it out of there. :) Thanks for the idea of the 4 wheeler clubs - I like it!

Cortttt

Pick a diesel truck you like then invest in a large recovery kit, avoid traveling solo over difficult terrain.

I don’t tow anything that heavy but have a couple trailers that see offroad duties behind a LandCruiser. It’s way easier to get stuck and much harder to unstuck. Especially solo. You generally get one attempt on a difficult obstacle or it’s recovery mode.

View attachment 785033

Warning well taken! The more I get stuck and I've been stuck many times in the van - the more careful I get. That's a great example of what looks like a highly capable truck getting stuck with a not-very-big trailer behind it.... Was the problem - not enough oomph from the engine?

My nightmare is getting stuck way out there with this big trailer. My plan is to be quite conservative :)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I towed a 10,000 lb 34’ travel trailer all over with a Chevy 6.0. I towed it on a 4,000? mile road trip out west and back. Power was lacking a bit at altitude at highway speeds. Not sure how much power comes into play off-roading. You’d be in low range anyway.
That thing was too big for me, I didn’t like maneuvering it around parking lots etc.
I would guess a power wagon/ Tremor type truck would be your best bet.

Also I’ve heard diesel engines don’t do as well off road. They’re heavier and seem to get more wheel spin.

DFNDER

If you go with the Oliver then you shouldn’t have to worry about getting stuck off-road because you’d be crazy to take one of those on anything but the smoothest of dirt roads. They are not off road trailers by any means, despite their presence at overland expo.

Cortttt

I towed a 10,000 lb 34’ travel trailer all over with a Chevy 6.0. I towed it on a 4,000? mile road trip out west and back. Power was lacking a bit at altitude at highway speeds. Not sure how much power comes into play off-roading. You’d be in low range anyway.
That thing was too big for me, I didn’t like maneuvering it around parking lots etc.
I would guess a power wagon/ Tremor type truck would be your best bet.

Also I’ve heard diesel engines don’t do as well off road. They’re heavier and seem to get more wheel spin.
34 Footer! That's a big one! Thanks for relaying your experience. Diesels have all that great torque but will probably stay away because of emissions worries. Time will tell, though. Some are surprisingly affordable.

Cortttt

If you go with the Oliver then you shouldn’t have to worry about getting stuck off-road because you’d be crazy to take one of those on anything but the smoothest of dirt roads. They are not off road trailers by any means, despite their presence at overland expo.
Believe it or not, I know a guy (who now has an Oliver) but who has taken a big Airstream all over the west - and he is not a campground camper. He's a geologist who loves to roam. He has a Powerstroke - lots of torque - and he modified the Airstream - increasing its clearance and making sure that everything was nailed down securely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle