Pulling exhaust manifold Gen2 SR

Jrussell90

Hi everyone,

After having my truck in at Chai's in LA and having all the service work done + valve seals, it's running great and now on the road. He mentioned that the exhaust manifold had some issues but can address in the future. I'm going to attempt to pull one from a junkyard car tomorrow as I know it's hard to find replacements now. I'm a beginner so if anyone has any advice like tools outside of the regular toolbox that I'll need I'd really appreciate it. Iv set aside two days expecting that I'll run into a lot of issues.

Thanks

PaydayGabe

Did your Mechanic mention which side is suspect??

Take the std metric tools/ sockets, extentions. Some ViseGrip pliers/ penetrating oil and your patience. Access may be easier thru the wheel wells. You will have to drop the exhaust pipes from the manifolds then remove the manifolds from the engine.
Remove the heat shield first and save. Save the EGR tube on the driver side if needed.
Good luck and hopefully you find success. , G

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mine are cracked also, are you pulling them from another SR or an LS? I'm not sure if the 3.0 has different manifolds, maybe someone here has info.

PaydayGabe

That a great question,, but, I don't think cylinder heads grow in size as would the cylinder bore diameter would from a 3.0L to a 3.5L
Just thinking out loud.
Anyone with in depth knowledge please enlighten us. G.

Make sure you get the right SR manifolds. If yours is the DOHC then you are limited to 94-96. 97+ the exhaust ports change. Take the standard 10,12,14,17mm sockets with a couple extensions. Likely only use the 12,14, and 17 though. End wrenches in those sizes might help too. Take a larger Crecesnt too as the driver side has the exhaust gas recirc.

Pro tip: Rip out the rubber wheel well to engine bay flaps for quick access to bolts.

PaydayGabe

Pro tip #2: don't rip those wheel well flaps.
You may be able to use on your rig,, if tattered or missing. They get kinda brittle w/age. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman