Purchasing a van, looking for advice

86scotty

Cynic
Very very few. So few it's barely worth mentioning, and they were only made for a year or two. There was actually one for sale here recently but I don't remember the specifics. I bet it sold quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choff

Adventurer
We have had an 2005 AWD Savana van for 14 years, with 249,000 miles on original engine.
Love it for everything it has to offer.

Scotty D

So if I understand correctly, the Express only made the AWD in the 1500? I was always looking for a 250/2500 or 350/3500. Is it really required for van conversions that aren't going to be a dedicated off-road rig?
If you are not camping off road or on beaches, then for sure dont bother getting awd , it so hard to find one at a reasonable price

Choff

Adventurer
If you are not camping off road or on beaches, then for sure dont bother getting awd , it so hard to find one at a reasonable price
I have seen alot of fully loaded GMC AWD Savana or Chev conversion vans on the net. for some low prices, go for the 2005 era, 5.3 will get you a lot of good miles.
AWD goes through a lot of snow, sand and dirt, a locker rear end is a bonus

lindy74

Now begins the search for the right van to come up for sale. I am really leaning towards the extended Express now. Sadly, its so rare to find one in a 2500/3500 with either the 5.3 or 6.0 in it. Then add on top of that trying to find one with a clean skin. Im trying to stay in a budget of less than 17k for the van. I have found a couple 2003's that fit my requirements, one being a church van (I feel like thats a good thing) that is a 2003 with 97k miles on it for 12k. Its 3 hours away so I'm hoping it will be a fruitful trip =) I would think that besides "new tech" getting an early 2000's van isnt a bad thing if its clean and low mileage correct?

86scotty

Cynic
Correct, the Chevys have barely changed since then. If it's a church van it has sat most of the time and will probably need tires. It'll need more than that but without tires it may not even be safe to drive.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
What mileage is considered too high for a used GM/Chevy van? Like, when one can say ok it's safe and when one can say it's too much.
The Cevys / GM vans are everywhere. I was not paying attention to them at all, but they seem to be in relatively good price range. As mentioned, they have well proven engines and transmissions.

@86scotty
What do you think the Nissan NV? (Yes, they are very ugly).

86scotty

Cynic
What mileage is considered too high for a used GM/Chevy van? Like, when one can say ok it's safe and when one can say it's too much.
The Cevys / GM vans are everywhere. I was not paying attention to them at all, but they seem to be in relatively good price range. As mentioned, they have well proven engines and transmissions.

@86scotty
What do you think the Nissan NV? (Yes, they are very ugly).

GM vans are capable of very high miles. I wouldn't let high miles scare me if it's in good shape. Church vans/Schools/etc. tend to use vans twice a year or so though and it just isn't good for anything on them to sit that much. Belts, seals, tires, anything rubber and all the fluids do better when exercised than not. I know a guy who used to run Chevy vans for delivery/expedite and he swore they were just about bulletproof except for needing oil pumps around 250k miles or so.

I like the NV's, especially the Quigley ones. A friend of mine, another guy in expedite, put over a million miles on an NV3500. I have never driven one or really even been close to one other than his.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Our current van requires serious repair so I'm going to sell it and buy a new one. I've already checked several sources for this purpose and noticed that many people are pleased with a GMC Savana van. I know that I can find a used one in good condition at a reasonable price. So, it is on top of my list. But of course, I'm open to other suggestions. So, thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
One of the best things about GM vans to me is that you can find them with the 6.6 Duramax. More power and torque than a 7.3 Ford and MUCH quieter. Better fuel economy than any full-size gasoline van too.

The biggest downside is that the side walls taper quite a bit above the belt line, so they end up being 3-6” narrower in that area.

86scotty

Cynic
Really? I thought they all come with gas V8.
Is the 6.6 Duramax good engine?
Calling @whith

Yes, it's a very good engine but pretty rare. Certain years are better than others. All diesels have their years to avoid and known problems. I can't tell you specifics but plenty of people here can, like WhitH for instance. All said above is true though.
Conversely you can find GM's with a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 V8. All good engines with varying degrees of power and fuel pump shock.

whith

Sorry, I missed this somehow? Yep you could get the Duramax up until 2016 but they are hard to find. Its an excellent engine that has only needed oil changes in the the 120K miles I've put on it. Oh it did need a fan clutch awhile back. Its very quite, more quite than the gas ones actually, and gets quite a bit better fuel economy of course as well. I drive mine all over the west, up and down mountain passes in the winter and summer and I wouldn't change it for anything. The doghouse does take up some room but I'm 6'3 and it doesn't bother me. I do long days in it pretty often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998