Purchasing Vehicle Out of State - Registration/Tags/Insurance Issues

dcg1080

Long story short I've been looking for a while (longer than hoped due to a poor estimation of availability of desirable vehicles) for an ambulance to convert to an RV (had some previous discussions over general ideas where this topic was touched on lightly). I think I've finally found one on which I'm ready to take the plunge.

I'm still a bit worried about the insurance, registration, tags, etc. that will be required. I'm in NC so feel free to chime in with personal experiences, but...

Biggest hurdle I'm trying to get my head over right now is purchasing the vehicle from out of state and bringing it back. As one could get shipping is prohibitively expensive (almost as much as the unit). I think I can get insurance on the vehicle, at least long enough to bring it home before a company may take issue with how it's insured. The thing I'm not sure about at all is the tags/registration requirement to actually get it home. Has anyone done anything like this before?

I'm looking at a unit in Maine (of all places), so that would mean crossing something like seven state lines. I can't find any good information on getting temp tags for transport from here in NC before I go (I'm going to try to drop in to the tag office later to ask, but it's the end of the month so I know they'll be swamped). I think Maine issues temp plates for transport, but I can't find out if they do for nonresidents and if so how long I would need to stand in line at their DMV or other offices (which may spiral into a huge headache). I'm highly doubting the seller will let me leave with their plates and while I believe it's legal for me to put my own tags on a new car for just a few days, I think the class difference would negate that.

Anyone done something like this and know the best way to go about it? I know scenarios will be similar from state to state, but a solution may at least be adaptable.

java

Expedition Leader
I don't specifically know about main and NC, but for WA you buy a temp plate and use that to drive vehicle home. It's good for 3 days reg can be expired etc. Must have insurance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

luthj

Engineer In Residence
In a nutshell.

The vehicle must have valid tags (even if just temp ones).
The vehicle must have insurance.

As far as registering the vehicle in NC, the process is pretty straight forward. When you get it converted, you can schedule an inspection by the NC DOT/DMV. They will fill out a checklist form, if you have 4 of the 6 items (toilet, water, etc), then it can be re-titled as a "House car" which is what NC calls an RV.

Some states will let you get a temp/transit tag without having the vehicle present. Some don't offer any type of temp tag at all (Oklahoma for example). In some states the plates go with the vehicle when sold, so there is nothing to transfer.

With regards to the temp tag/plate, I would call the Maine DOT/DMV office you would be visiting. They would likely be able to answer you question quickly. Another option is to see if NC issues temp/transit tags. If they will let you do it without the vehicle present, you could get the tag, and bring it with you.

Do not be tempted to operate without a tag/plate that is valid. Some states have stiff penalties for operating without a valid registration/tag/permit.

dcg1080

I don't specifically know about main and NC, but for WA you buy a temp plate and use that to drive vehicle home. It's good for 3 days reg can be expired etc. Must have insurance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This meaning you would get them in WA before you left to bring it back to WA?

That seems the logical route and I'm hoping it's that easy here. I haven't had a change to talk to any real people yet, but hopefully someone at the DMV or something will know this.

dcg1080

With regards to the temp tag/plate, I would call the Maine DOT/DMV office you would be visiting. They would likely be able to answer you question quickly. Another option is to see if NC issues temp/transit tags. If they will let you do it without the vehicle present, you could get the tag, and bring it with you.

Do not be tempted to operate without a tag/plate that is valid. Some states have stiff penalties for operating without a valid registration/tag/permit.

I'm going to try to get some answers over the phone when I get a chance, I just started seriously looking this weekend.

And you're right about the penalties. I don't mind bending the letter of the law whilst complying with the spirit, but only in cases where I'm fairly confident it won't be an issue. The probability in this case is way too small that it wouldn't.

java

Expedition Leader
This meaning you would get them in WA before you left to bring it back to WA?

That seems the logical route and I'm hoping it's that easy here. I haven't had a change to talk to any real people yet, but hopefully someone at the DMV or something will know this.

Exactly, you buy the paper tag in WA, take it with you. Fill out the date when your ready to drive on it and get insurance on the car. Its valid for 3 days from the date its started. Logical :)

And the conversion to RV is the same as LuthJ mentioned above, have X number of items on their list and get an inspection. They will then change the reg to RV.

bdog1

Adventurer
You mentioned “dealer”. They should be able to issue a temp tag. You will need proof of Ins. I believe you have 10days to transfer Ins. to a new vehicle.
As a backup plan have a tag and reg with you, but I think that’s winging it. Keep all your transaction paperwork handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

ive driven across country w/no tags and just the bill of sale and title, at least 3 times from buying from individual sellers, DMV's are not known for being open on the weekends.. just about every place should be willing to give you til monday to get some temp tags.

If its not a personal sale, the place you buy it from should provide you with valid tags to get home.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The one time I didn't have tags on a new to me vehicle, I got pulled over in kansas. Even with title and insurance, I got an unclassified misdemeanor ticket. Had to drive back to kansas for court, and just managed to avoid a 500$ fine.

dcg1080

You mentioned “dealer”. They should be able to issue a temp tag. You will need proof of Ins. I believe you have 10days to transfer Ins. to a new vehicle.
As a backup plan have a tag and reg with you, but I think that’s winging it. Keep all your transaction paperwork handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No dealer in this transaction. Otherwise it would be a non issue as any dealer worth doing business with would provide the temp tags.

dcg1080

The one time I didn't have tags on a new to me vehicle, I got pulled over in kansas. Even with title and insurance, I got an unclassified misdemeanor ticket. Had to drive back to kansas for court, and just managed to avoid a 500$ fine.

That's about what I would be expecting, and that would be on the "not so bad all things considered" outcome. Plus not having tags is about a 100% guarantee to get pulled by any cop that sees that, and there's no telling how long that trip would end up being if I got pulled over by every patrolman that noticed.

I know NC does temp tags for transport, but the way that the published information is written it looks like that's a service provided for dealers picking up something out of state and bringing it home to sell. I think I'll have to go wait in a line to talk to someone to find out more. The other thing I'm a bit worried about is that the process of getting temp tags would require me to have already purchased the vehicle.

Maybe some things weren't meant to be, but we will see what I can dig up.

dreadlocks

Figures, I got pulled over 5 times between 11pm and 3am driving across Kansas with a burnt out tail light on my Jeep.. none of em could point me to a place to buy a bulb at that hour in the middle of nowhere.. luckily after the first one none of em gave me anymore fix-it tickets.. think i had to mail the receipt from wall-mart to the court later.

One time I had my battery die on side of road in middle of illinois on my way back w/out plates, HiPo wanted too see the bill of sale (marked that day), proof of insurance (printed beforehand), and title signed to me.. he then gave me a ride to autozone to buy a new battery and took me back to my clunker I was trying to limp home.

Dont give KS cops any reason to pull you over, ever..

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
In TX you can buy a "trip tag" which is good from one point to another, example from CO to San Antonio, and is generally good for 7 days (and you can tell them what day you'd like it to start somewhere in the future). Or you can buy a 30 day temporary tag but that's a lot more expensive. The only requirement is that you show proof of insurance on the vehicle you're transporting. Insurance companies don't really care who owns a vehicle as long as you provide a VIN they'll provide coverage. They do care if you try to pull one over on them such as listing a vehicle over 10k GVW as a passenger vehicle. Most personal auto policies max out at 10k so your auto policy wouldn't transfer to a vehicle bigger than that (such as a huge Uhaul truck).

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’ve bought vehicles out of state in three different states.

In all of three them I was easily able to get from the local DMV office there an affordable “trip transport” or “transportation” paper permit to tape to the back window of the new rig.

These permits were needed because my home state had no provision for issueing me a transport permit before leaving home to go get these vehicles.

With insurance, many policies have a standard provision that automatically covers a new vehicle for a short period of time as soon as you buy it.

Better practice though is giving your insurance agent the VIN of the new rig and telling them the date you’re picking it up, also letting them know how long you expect to be in route home.

Do be aware though as the above poster pointed out (and investigate this before you leave to get this new rig) that many insurance companies may classify this heavy duty vehicle as a “commercial” one and that that can possibly complicate arranging for coverage under your current policy.

rlrenz

Explorer
I bought my medium ambulance from GEV. I made the arrangements to buy it with one inspection trip, lined up insurance, then flew back to pick it up. Their salesman drove me to the area's license plate office, and I got a vehicle in transit paper tag in about 5 minutes. We screwed it on, and I was good to go. I went through three scales on the return trip without any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears