pure sine inverter recommendations

BigJim

Observer
I own and play with inverters

All the time.
I own Coleman, Xantrex square wave and Pro-Sine and off brands.

Non sine wave inverters will cause motors to run hotter and less efficient.
The Watt ratings on the non sine wave inverters is far from accurate. I have experimented with this and proven it.

The DC current requirements to make the same AC wattage is much higher for non sine wave inverters. Keep this in mind when sizing batteries. Non sine wave inverters sometimes have a hard time starting inductive loads such as motors and will trip off.

And for PC's and other electronic devices there are DC-DC supplies that will take 12 VDC up or down to power your devices. They come with selectable voltages and various plug in connectors.

Try the inverterstore.com out of Reno. They have all kinds of cool stuff.
No affiliation.

theksmith

Explorer
FYI, "Pure Sine wave" means different things to different manufactures, I think what the original poster was looking for was a "True Sine Wave" inverter... for the most part it seems everyone uses that term to mean the same thing... usually "pure" is not "true" and just means a regulated MSW with no spikes, but some manufactures using "pure" and "true" interchangeably... anyway, just make sure you read the details on what you get and not just the headline.

btw, the newer Xantrex ProWatt 600 is by far the cheapest "true" sine wave inverter i've seen, it provides an entry level solution for this niche where you might just have one or 2 pieces of equipment that actually require a "true" sine wave and all the rest of your junk can run on your average MSW type converter.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prowatt-SW600-Watt-Sinewave-Inverter/dp/B002O5P8BA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281643181&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Prowatt SW600 600 Watt True Sinewave Inverter: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I use a cheapo B&D inverter from wally world. 750W, just for misc charging of small 'wart-style' adapters. It's charged camera batteries, AA/AAA, rechargable DVD players, etc.

For my laptop, I use a targus adapter

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=APD80US

For my iPod, phones, etc, I use a cheapo cigarette lighter-USB adapter, it feeds 2x 1A USB ports.

I blew up my craftsman 19.2V charger using my MSW inverter, went and found the cigarette lighter smart charger on sale.

Basically, I'd rather spend my money on a cheapo 1-3 lighter adapter and go that route, than spend mucho bux on a PSW inverter :)

just my 2 cents :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater