Put a cork in it.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Aw, sheez. Like there's only one use for cork. I can name another highly profitable use for cork that will never go away: professional baseball bats.

"Put a synthetic wine stopper in it, will ya?"

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Some wineries like to use synthetic corks (not for the green use,) Natural cork can sometimes taint the wine.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
articulate said:
professional baseball bats.

Despite other uses for cork like in rockets and flooring and corkboards, I have an uneducated feeling that the wine industry is the largest user? I should of known you, Mark, would have something to say about that :)

Call me old-school, lame and whatever, but I still don't mind corked wines (those with a touch of TCA). BTW, as I understand it the TCA and tainting of the wines through the cork are due to the cork trees taking up modern industrial pollutants?

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Perceived value of good wine in a bottle is still natural cork - wineries have tried a few different options including unscrew and a cap with a glass rubber seal - still most people associate good high end wine with a natural cork. This will take a bit of time to change at the market.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have a pretty small collection of wines I brought back to the states during the years I lived in France. Some of my very old Bordeaux wines are probably wrapped with real lead! You want to talk about environmental or health related issues!!

Personally, I'm lazy enough to be fond of the screw top. However, having been a resident of Burgundy for several years I would be heart broken to find a nice Puligny Montrachet or a Chateau de Pommard with a screw top. MON DIEU!!!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thank God respectable tequila bottles use screw caps. Untainted throat-burning fun.

Honestly, I like the synthetic "corks" much better - if I must subscribe to an opinion about wine stoppers. To obey my conservationist-anthropomorphic convictions, I'll buy one corked bat a year. How about that?

What they need is just a new marketing approach for cork. Find a new use for it. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Pet Rock. My Corked Bat, maybe?

Halboo

Observer
Cork Boat

http://www.corkboat.com/

CorkBoat05.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle