"Q" Flight's RB E250 Quigley Build

flightcancled

Explorer
Don't tell me I didn't warn you! It's getting softer on the eyes tough.

Welp. It took me ALL weekend, but here's the C bed. Pops apart and pulls out in 5 minutes. Converts from bench to bed in seconds.

First the floor went in.

c12167355f59ef41fda90a37561808e1.jpg

What took me all Saturday. Kind of worth it. 100% carpeted frame.

fab9b688afadec1f03d30b021a904331.jpg

Notice the bare 2x3. That's the removable brace for the bed conversion.

654cf8b5b82aadb7feb85db8501793d6.jpg

Notice the exposed frame to allow the center piece to slide into. The foam was cut to the end of the frame and has an overhang that the insert mates to.

bd421350b9477a8aace492bb5762d4e4.jpg

4" memory foam mattress from Walmart. Top is memory, bottom is support. Under it is a layer of the foam flooring for a little insurance.

032c78b76496d3f912fbad250cf16802.jpg

e355c382d3b2f712bbfcb37af52fbb38.jpg

Last edited:

klp42

Great build - seems you have done this before!

Regarding the tape covering all the holes inside - why is this done? Is it for sound, thermal, or both? I have seen similar done with CLD tiles too. Do you think there is a higher risk of moisture in there?

flightcancled

Explorer
Thanks!

With the batt style insulation and my plans to be sleeping in here and possibly having wet gear inside I wanted to take any steps possible to keep moisture out of the walls. Hopefully the tape makes a decent seal.

I'm preparing for the wiring phase now. As only the door panels are remaining in my carpet apocalypse. Interior lighting and entertainment are up first.

My new head unit and back up camera arrived:
121cb33c357ceba35417f8ce4dcca329.jpg

flightcancled

Explorer
I've seen that as well. Some great work went into that build, but not really my style though. Im always on the go and therefore I beat the snot out of my gear. An "Instagram" themed build like that wouldn't survive the daily abuse. Some of the minor comfort features may appear in Q though.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Looks good Alex!

Are your cushions covered and sewn or is the material just stapled to the plywood back? You didn't mention sewing anything, so I'm just wondering.

flightcancled

Explorer
Epic amounts of 3M Super 90 Spray Glue were used in the creation of this van.

In areas which were not particularly well ventilated....

I will say the foam was shockingly more firm once carpeted. The distribution of weight translated to not sinking into the mattress in the same way. So test out your mattress accordingly those who follow.

patoz

Expedition Leader
So you glued carpet directly to the foam, and the foam is glued to the plywood back, or are the cushions covered completely in carpet?

What I'm getting at is, can you remove the cushions and still have a flat surface you can haul gear, etc. on?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Following your thread with interest, I'm probably a month or two behind where you are - just pulled out all the contractor bins and flooring, welded up the holes torn in the floor from how the bins were badly installed, and sanded / painted the floor. The stock Ford flooring is not ideal for rust prevention, since it has a sheet of plastic on the bottom. There was no place that it had rusted through, but the paint was bubbling all over the floor. I just primed and painted and put down sound deadening + stall mat.

flightcancled

Explorer
Well I've only had it for 6 weeks! You'll be beating me soon.

I got lucky, my floor really wasn't that bad yet. I was told that the previous owner got it without any floor liner and put the rubber and foam one in. The set I have has closed cell foam on the bottom which is perfect!

I don't know how I feel about the stall mat. I looked at it, but the weight, thickness, off gassing, and difficulty to cut made me a bit leary.

I would strongly suggest leaving your finish floor material out of the van as long as possible. I learned the hard way in my ambulance. The angle grinder kicked on and ran around the floor carving a huge gash the day after installation.

Q got registered and became my daily driver today. I can't believe how much nicer she drives with the added weight in the back!! All those scary vibrations and noises are gone. She handles and sounds like she should now.

Had a minor crisis and was questioning my life choices when the airbag light started flashing this evening. Evidently I never plugged the seats back in and the computer didn't like that much!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Well I've only had it for 6 weeks! You'll be beating me soon.

I got lucky, my floor really wasn't that bad yet. I was told that the previous owner got it without any floor liner and put the rubber and foam one in. The set I have has closed cell foam on the bottom which is perfect!

I don't know how I feel about the stall mat. I looked at it, but the weight, thickness, off gassing, and difficulty to cut made me a bit leary.

I would strongly suggest leaving your finish floor material out of the van as long as possible. I learned the hard way in my ambulance. The angle grinder kicked on and ran around the floor carving a huge gash the day after installation.

Q got registered and became my daily driver today. I can't believe how much nicer she drives with the added weight in the back!! All those scary vibrations and noises are gone. She handles and sounds like she should now.

Had a minor crisis and was questioning my life choices when the airbag light started flashing this evening. Evidently I never plugged the seats back in and the computer didn't like that much!

Yeah, plastic on a van floor is just not a good idea, would probably actually be in better shape if the floor was bare like yours... everything else was in very good shape, just that moisture trapped under the vapor barrier was a problem.

I'm not sure that the stall mat is a long term solution, but it is cheap and easy. I did the straight cuts with a circular saw and the curves around the wheel wells and fuel filler with a jig saw. Part of the issue is I have a fairly good plan for the walls and ceiling, but not so much the floor. So I figure the stall mat can hold me until I figure that out. At least it is protecting the sound deadening for now.

flightcancled

Explorer
One concept that I resisted and didn't understand but now appreciate in this build is how well layering deadens and insulates.

I basically have created 2 shells with are independent of eachother inside the van. A thick insulation shell and another insulated finish surface shell. Because they have some dead space or at minimum are able to shift and minimally move independent from eachother it takes much more energy to transfer heat/cold or noise/vibrations from outside the vehicle to the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan