Qooper's Tundra to Flippac’d Tacoma Build Thread.

qooper

Haven't been getting much traffic on my build thread on Tacomaworld, so I decided to post it up over here in case anyone is interested!

After 2 years of lurking I have decided to start a build thread for my truck. I purchased my 2001 Tundra in February of 2017 with 172k, it sits at 221k as of 12/19. When I picked it up it was stock minus bilstein 5100's. This truck has been through many different phases and I will do my best do document everything I do.

Current Modifications

Suspension
-Bilstein 5100's
-OME 885 Springs
-Freedom Offroad UCA's
-Fox 2.0 Rear's
-Airlift Air Bags

Wheels & Tires
-Method Roost (17x9, 4 BS, +0)
-Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/17

Armor
- Custom built 84' rock sliders
- Coastal Offroad Front Bumper
- High Clearance Rear (Coming Soon...)

Planned Modifications and Maintentance
-TIMING BELT, I dont even want to say how many miles overdue I am haha.
-Coastal Offroad Front Bumper, full hoops. (Ordered 12/1/19)
-SPC UCA's (Ordered Freedom Offroad UCA's 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Change the springs in my 5100's to OME 885 (Ordered 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Fox 2.0's in the rear. (Ordered 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Rebuild my axles with some high angle boots.
-New LCA bushings, I have a pretty bad clunk that needs to be diagnosed.

The evolution of "Tanya"....

When I first bought her (2/17)
IMG_3526.jpg

Shortly after I powdercoated the wheels and built a rack for my Tepui Autana (6/17)
IMG_4935.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg

I was happy with this setup for a while, but found a deal on a flippac that I couldn't pass up. I drove from Bend, OR to San Fran to pick it up. (2/18)
IMG_7452.jpg
IMG_5064.jpg

The flippac was cool and everything, but with the torsion bar issues and the poor quality tent I decided that I was going to sell it and go a different route. I made over a thousand dollars on it so I was pretty stoked haha. I was browsing craigslist and came across this. (3/19)
IMG_6380.jpg

I unfortunately sold the camper as I can't go camping as much as I'd like to since I went back to school. Replaced it with a softopper that I found on craigslist for $150.IMG_7450.jpg

12/1/19-
Ordered:
-OME 885 Coils
-Another set of 5100's for the front as mine are leaking
-Energy Spring Insulators
-Freedom Offroad UCA's
-Fox 2.0's (rear)
-2X New CV axles

Stoked to get everything in next weekend, hoping the truck rides/drives like a new one. I've been going back and forth with the guys at Coastal Offroad, and will be placing my order for their front bumper when their black friday sale starts. (Edit, Ordered bumper, will arrive 12/9/19!)

Traded a TW member for my old wheel/tire setup for his. Now rolling on some 17x8.5 Method Roost's wrapped in 285/75/17 Wildpeaks.
IMG_7546.jpg
IMG_7544.jpg

Just picked the truck up from the alignment shop after getting the new suspension installed and am a little bummed. I figured that on 2nd notch with the OME springs I would be sitting where I was before, but the front end is probably an inch lower.

Now I'm trying to decide what I should do to fix the rake. Bump the 5100's up another notch, Pull my airbags (should lower the rear about an inch), or throw a small spacer on top of the 5100's the bring the front end up without increasing preload. Any recommendations?

Aside from that, the truck rides so much better. The fox's in the rear feel awesome.
IMG_7597 (1).jpg

(12/8/19)- Pulled my struts out and bumped the 5100's up another notch today, sitting a little better but still too much rake imo, I'm looking at options for a different setup in the rear. Considering ditching the airbags & 1 inch block to throw in the wheelers +3 leaf pack. Any advice would be appreciated! I will get some updated pics in ASAP.

01tundraAC

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the coastal offroad bumper. I'm thinking about picking one up as well.

As for the rake on your truck, if you aren't towing or overweight right now I would pull the airbags. The 3 leaf pack should do a pretty good job if you are just loading the bed and going camping. That softopper certainly weighs a lot less than the flippac or the camper.

First Gen Tundra's are the best truck around for the price and what they can do. Our trucks are fairly similar... I like your SR5 without fender flares though. Clean Lines.
B3137D5B-B106-46D1-9FA5-18A6BD96FC05_1_105_c.jpeg

Marine

Adventurer
Haven't been getting much traffic on my build thread on Tacomaworld, so I decided to post it up over here in case anyone is interested!

After 2 years of lurking I have decided to start a build thread for my truck. I purchased my 2001 Tundra in February of 2017 with 172k, it sits at 221k as of 12/19. When I picked it up it was stock minus bilstein 5100's. This truck has been through many different phases and I will do my best do document everything I do.

Current Modifications

Suspension
-Bilstein 5100's
-OME 885 Springs
-Freedom Offroad UCA's
-Fox 2.0 Rear's
-Airlift Air Bags

Wheels & Tires
-Method Roost (17x9, 4 BS, +0)
-Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/17

Armor
- Custom built 84' rock sliders
- Coastal Offroad Front Bumper
- High Clearance Rear (Coming Soon...)

Planned Modifications and Maintentance
-TIMING BELT, I dont even want to say how many miles overdue I am haha.
-Coastal Offroad Front Bumper, full hoops. (Ordered 12/1/19)
-SPC UCA's (Ordered Freedom Offroad UCA's 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Change the springs in my 5100's to OME 885 (Ordered 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Fox 2.0's in the rear. (Ordered 12/1/19, installed 12/5/19)
-Rebuild my axles with some high angle boots.
-New LCA bushings, I have a pretty bad clunk that needs to be diagnosed.

The evolution of "Tanya"....

When I first bought her (2/17)
View attachment 555194

Shortly after I powdercoated the wheels and built a rack for my Tepui Autana (6/17)
View attachment 555195
View attachment 555196

I was happy with this setup for a while, but found a deal on a flippac that I couldn't pass up. I drove from Bend, OR to San Fran to pick it up. (2/18)
View attachment 555197
View attachment 555198

The flippac was cool and everything, but with the torsion bar issues and the poor quality tent I decided that I was going to sell it and go a different route. I made over a thousand dollars on it so I was pretty stoked haha. I was browsing craigslist and came across this. (3/19)
View attachment 555199

I unfortunately sold the camper as I can't go camping as much as I'd like to since I went back to school. Replaced it with a softopper that I found on craigslist for $150.View attachment 555200

12/1/19-
Ordered:
-OME 885 Coils
-Another set of 5100's for the front as mine are leaking
-Energy Spring Insulators
-Freedom Offroad UCA's
-Fox 2.0's (rear)
-2X New CV axles

Stoked to get everything in next weekend, hoping the truck rides/drives like a new one. I've been going back and forth with the guys at Coastal Offroad, and will be placing my order for their front bumper when their black friday sale starts. (Edit, Ordered bumper, will arrive 12/9/19!)

Traded a TW member for my old wheel/tire setup for his. Now rolling on some 17x8.5 Method Roost's wrapped in 285/75/17 Wildpeaks.
View attachment 555201
View attachment 555202

Just picked the truck up from the alignment shop after getting the new suspension installed and am a little bummed. I figured that on 2nd notch with the OME springs I would be sitting where I was before, but the front end is probably an inch lower.

Now I'm trying to decide what I should do to fix the rake. Bump the 5100's up another notch, Pull my airbags (should lower the rear about an inch), or throw a small spacer on top of the 5100's the bring the front end up without increasing preload. Any recommendations?

Aside from that, the truck rides so much better. The fox's in the rear feel awesome.
View attachment 555203

(12/8/19)- Pulled my struts out and bumped the 5100's up another notch today, sitting a little better but still too much rake imo, I'm looking at options for a different setup in the rear. Considering ditching the airbags & 1 inch block to throw in the wheelers +3 leaf pack. Any advice would be appreciated! I will get some updated pics in ASAP.
Will follow along for sure

qooper

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the coastal offroad bumper. I'm thinking about picking one up as well.

As for the rake on your truck, if you aren't towing or overweight right now I would pull the airbags. The 3 leaf pack should do a pretty good job if you are just loading the bed and going camping. That softopper certainly weighs a lot less than the flippac or the camper.

First Gen Tundra's are the best truck around for the price and what they can do. Our trucks are fairly similar... I like your SR5 without fender flares though. Clean Lines.
View attachment 555228
Nice truck man, I really like that canopy. I agree with you about the air bags, I used to like having them with the camper, but now it seems pointless since I don't tow very often

qooper

Something helpful I did while putting my Coastal bumper together was weld on some zip tie tabs. They make cable management for lights and winch much better.
Noted, I don't plan on running a winch at this point, but I may add some as a precaution just in case.

qooper

How do you have your bags setup?

Sean
The airlift bags mount in front of the leaf spring u-bolt. Not a great setup because you could blow one under articulation (happened to my buddy with a first gen tundra). I like the daystar airbag cradles but they only work with firestone airbags.

qooper

Here's what the truck looks like after bumping the 5100's up another notch (3rd notch now), still to low IMO. I think I am going to add a 1/2 inch spacer and call it a day for now, I don't want to add anymore preload to the 5100's. After that I'll pull the airbags and add a leaf pack (once funds allow).IMG_7619.jpg

smokeysevin

Observer
The airlift bags mount in front of the leaf spring u-bolt. Not a great setup because you could blow one under articulation (happened to my buddy with a first gen tundra). I like the daystar airbag cradles but they only work with firestone airbags.
That is incorrect. I am using airlift dominator 2600s on my truck with the daystar cradles.

I have mine mounted inboard of the leaf springs.

Granted, my setup is different since I am not using the shocks in the stock location but the daystar cradles work fine with the airlift bags.

Sean
24859abf76659fd5493b7d56078ec94f.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

qooper

That is incorrect. I am using airlift dominator 2600s on my truck with the daystar cradles.

I have mine mounted inboard of the leaf springs.

Granted, my setup is different since I am not using the shocks in the stock location but the daystar cradles work fine with the airlift bags.

Sean
24859abf76659fd5493b7d56078ec94f.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Nope, I have a different style and I'm 100% sure you can't run the cradles, trust me, I don't like the setup I have.air-lift-air-bag-suspension-kit-customer-1.jpg

Kpack

Adventurer
Ditch the airbags. If you're not going to be towing or consistently hauling heavy loads then they really aren't going to be of use to you. With an AAL you will gain some of that hauling ability back (at least if you do a single AAL and keep the overload spring....can't say for sure on the 3 leaf AAL). The airbags will just get in the way if you are doing any sort of trail that requires articulation. Also get rid of the blocks on the rear axle when you so an AAL. The AAL will raise the rear of truck by itself. When I dropped my 1.5" blocks and put in a single AAL I actually gained a 1/2" of lift in the back.

The front doesn't look too bad. The 1st Gen Tundras don't lift as high as Tacoma's do in the front. Personally I'd avoid spacers because in my experience they drastically decrease the quality of the ride. My truck rode so much better after I got rid of my spacers and went with a real suspension set up.

qooper

Ditch the airbags. If you're not going to be towing or consistently hauling heavy loads then they really aren't going to be of use to you. With an AAL you will gain some of that hauling ability back (at least if you do a single AAL and keep the overload spring....can't say for sure on the 3 leaf AAL). The airbags will just get in the way if you are doing any sort of trail that requires articulation. Also get rid of the blocks on the rear axle when you so an AAL. The AAL will raise the rear of truck by itself. When I dropped my 1.5" blocks and put in a single AAL I actually gained a 1/2" of lift in the back.

The front doesn't look too bad. The 1st Gen Tundras don't lift as high as Tacoma's do in the front. Personally I'd avoid spacers because in my experience they drastically decrease the quality of the ride. My truck rode so much better after I got rid of my spacers and went with a real suspension set up.

I might pull the air bags off after work tomorrow and run stock leafs until I can order a leaf pack. I used to have a Hellwig AAL but wasn't impressed (hence why I ordered airbags) but my needs have changed. My plan is to pull the 1 In. block and add the Wheelers or Icon +3 leaf pack, should net me around 1.5 of lift.

As for the front I really don't like spacers either but I don't want to increase the preload any more. I feel like I should be fine if I only run a 1/2 or 3/4 inch one. What do you think?

trailscape

Explorer
I actually like the look of these trucks with a slight rake..

Also, same airbag setup. But, I have a lot of added weight. Never had any issues, but I don't usually do anything extreme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior