Quaife ATB diff

Snagger

Explorer
Anyone tried one? I'm considering fitting one to the front of my RRC during its restoration - the rear already has ETC which suffices for use on snow and ice, but the front is open and this seems a good option at face value. I suspect it doesn't have some of the undesirable characteristics of the Detroit self lockers, but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be keen to know...

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Quaife makes some excellent products, I haven't personally had one of their diffs, but many of my FWD Volvo friends use them without issue. You could also try a Tru-trac

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Quaife differentials work best at speed. Low speed use in off road situations does not produce the amount of bias you would be looking for. It would work much better in the rear, supplementing the ETC.

Snagger

Explorer
That's great information - thanks! The Ashcroft comments on the link conflicts with what Adam says about not being effective at low speed, which is where I'd want it to be effective, but perhaps Ashcroft's spring loadings make it operate slightly differently to Quaife's. The Ashcroft comments make it sound ideal for my purposes - the rear end copes with slow manouevering on uneven ground with snow and compact ice, but the front doesn't do so well. Handily, Ashcroft's premisis is only a mile or so from where I work.

Do you drive at highway speeds when it's snowy / icy?

That auto locker / lsd in the front makes it, ummm, "interesting".

I've got a Detroit in the rear of my Disco and a Tru-Track (very similar to the Quaife) in the front.

It's a handful at speed in the slick stuff.

Having said that, it's a point and drive off-road :)

Red90

Adventurer
I've got a Detroit in the rear of my Disco and a Tru-Track (very similar to the Quaife) in the front.

It's a handful at speed in the slick stuff.
Really? I live in a very wintery location and drive on ice and snow half the year. I have find no difference on the road with the Detroit or Truetrac from when I had open diffs.

As to the OP, I would put an Ashcroft ATB diff in the rear or in both. They work great with the traction control. Front only may act a little weird. Living right near them, why not pop in and talk with Dave or Ian. They are very helpful and knowledgable.

It is not clear if you were wanting this for on or off road use. On road there is no point. If you want to do better on road, you want better tyres. Off road, the rear ATB will do the most for you especially with the ETC.

Snagger

Explorer
It's for on-road use. I'm not much of a believer in global warming, but the last few winters in the UK have had several snowy periods, which wasn't as regular before, and the councils aren't gritting all the roads (suits me fine - I don't like salt on my chassis). Unfortunately, the crap standard of winter driving in the UK, and the fact that most of the prats with high performance summer tyres don't use winter tyres for the cold season means that as sensibly as you drive on the slippery stuff here, you're going to stop because of other traffic, and getting going again is the trick. I normally use 235/85 BFG AT KOs, which work really well for me, though I recently replaced them with 205/80 Hankook ATs, which also coped admirably with the recent ice (the BFGs wore out and I had the Hankooks laying about spare - I'll go back to the BFGs or maybe General Grabber AT2s when I finish rebuilding the vehicle). From what I have experienced, the ETC does well enough at the back by itself, so I hadn't planned to do anything with the rear, but the front doesn't have ETC and so can't even mount the kerb when it gets really icy. That's why I was contemplating the ATB in the front only.

I have never used any kind of lockable or LS axle diffs, so I'm gratefuul for the feedback of your experiences.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If that is what you are looking for, then the Quaife or Ashcroft would work extremely well in the rear with ETC. They fall short in situations when you have very little to no grip with one tire and significant grip with the other... they just can not bias enough torque to the grippy tire. Left foot braking would help substantially as it evens out the disparity in resistance of each wheel.

In slick on road conditions, each tire is likely going to have similar traction and may just need a little "help". This is where the ATB (torsen style) limited slip such as Quaife or Ashcroft shines.

Red90

Adventurer
If for on road, I would not waste your money. You should not need one and it won't do much anyway if you already have working rear ETC. I would suggest trying Goodyear Duratracs. Quite good on snow and ice and not bad off road. Much better than the BFG ATs for both purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78