QUEST COMPLETED: An eco-overlander is chosen

articulate

Expedition Leader
Roseann, I simply couldn't bear to read your synopsis and skipped straight to the bottom. I'm impressed you found a vehicle so fast.

Now I'm off to be dazzled by your wit in the first post . . . don't let me down. :ylsmoke:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I believe that's a fine choice. I don't think you'll get near your 30 MPG goal but you won't go below 20MPH much either. I've owned a couple dozen 60s over the years, many were parts rigs and all were diesels. My first real wheeling rig was a 1983 BJ60. I'd have a hard look at 12HT engines too while you are looking for a 1HZ. I think it is a much nicer engine right out of the box and likely even more durable. The downside is that while the 1HZ is now in its 17th year of production, the 12HT only ran for four or five. The good news is that it shares a lot of parts with the 2H and is very very durable (I think I said that already) It has gear driven timing vs belt and an inline injector pump that according to Dom in ZA "will pump concrete" .The 12HT was only offered in a 60 so a conversion should be relatively easy.

Either way you'll be happy and congratulations on you choice!

Here's a pic of my rig "weeble" on the Rubicon circa 1997

articulate

Expedition Leader
Okay, I'm back (as if you missed me . . .)

DesertRose said:
So what I found out in my research is that the more modern these "small SUVs" have gotten, the heavier, the more powerful, and the more gas-guzzling they have gotten (though more safe). They're not economical at all.

Additionally, I used a really cool web tool at the EPA website to compare real ecological traits. www.fueleconomy.gov

What really started to clear my dazed mind and make my mission a little easier was to compare both fuel economy with carbon emissions and particulates emissions . . . but a Volvo XC pollutes way more than an H2! (How many Volvo drivers have green-slogan bumper stickers and give Hummer drivers dirty looks, hmm?)
Excellent - as in enlightening - information. I'm laughing, now, at internet questions like, "Which lift should I get?" after browsing your PDF and reading your synopsis. You just blew every conversation about lockerz-n-lifts out of the frickin' water and discussed something extraordinarily worthwhile. Again, I'm impressed.

:beer:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2. I prefer mass and HD bumpers to airbags most of the time :)

I love that you are 'making' another diesel.

expeditionswest said:
Awesome! With a 60 series, the vehicle you hit (or hits you) will be the airbag. Mass wins :)

Robthebrit

Explorer
welcome to the diesel club, you do know there's no going back!

I don't know much about the 1HZ but I assume its a reliable workhorse.

Rob

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Simply phenominal!

What a fantastic choice. It was a 1985 FJ60 my father had when at 16 I laughed at him for buying it because it wasn't a muscle-car. How I did learn. And what that old FJ60 taught me.

60s are so great! And a 1HZ you are the total envy! I have driven an HZJ75 from a bloke who used to live near me in CO and it was heaven, that engine is as good as any 2F and then some! :drool:

Maybe one of our ExPo Trophy awards will be who burns the least amount of fuel throughout the whole trip (hard to measure) and it surely may be you who wins (assuming GJackson doesn't show :violent-smiley-031:).

One more thing:
I know someone quite personally who has a US legal BJ60 for sale in Durango with a bio-burning Toyota 3B and H55f 5-speed transmission and full floating rear axle that would also make a dead perfect swap set into your 60. Just in case the 1HZ gets a little complicated.

KMR

Adventurer
One word, Perfect!

Excellent decision (but I am biased) feel free to post up with the 60 tech questions, I have been dying to help some fellow Expo's out, but everybody want 80 advice. :)
I also may be able to help a tiny bit with 1HZ questions, I have chosen it for my swap, collected lots of info but not lots of money yet.
It will be a great swap, quite easy and wins over the 2H by a tight margin, but for a few good reasons.
(not the least of which is a supercharger available from OZ :REExeSquatsHL1: )

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
DesertDouglas said:
"after all, that's what Jonathan was driving when I met him . . . " Really???

Caught me!:rolleyes:

Okay, CLARIFICATION: It's what he owned when I started dating him. The first time I saw him drive a vehicle it was a Volkswagen Beetle with a big Flower Decal on the back window (which later turned out to be your sister's) - and I still fell madly in love with him, so I wasn't just after the Land Cruiser . . . but of course the clincher was the drive out to the desert in the Land Cruiser at 2 am . . . but that's all I'm telling about THAT!

DesertDouglas said:
Since it has a 40 gallon tank you can go with a dual spare tire carrier (as in Africa)--I'm sure Jake would love to make one. (Or he can put a lift for your bike.)

Already thought of that!

I loved those diesel Toyotas we drove in Tanzania and I get to drive in Kenya now, and those racks make such sense. I've been out twice now where 2 spares were in order.

DesertRose

KMR said:
One word, Perfect!

Excellent decision (but I am biased) feel free to post up with the 60 tech questions, I have been dying to help some fellow Expo's out, but everybody want 80 advice. :)
I also may be able to help a tiny bit with 1HZ questions, I have chosen it for my swap, collected lots of info but not lots of money yet.
It will be a great swap, quite easy and wins over the 2H by a tight margin, but for a few good reasons.
(not the least of which is a supercharger available from OZ :REExeSquatsHL1: )

Hey, that's super! We're in the same boat, too - very limited budget - when the Taco funds are gone, then I'm back to saving pennies to do any modifications.

We'll put the 60s back on the ExPo map!

DesertRose

Forgot to mention one really great thing that was the final nudge toward biodiesel:

There are three excellent income tax credits available for alternative fuel vehicles and fuels.

One is a hefty credit for putting a new alt fuel vehicle in service - I think as much as $4000 credit. I'm not in that capability (buying new), but it's a nice credit nonetheless. You have to make sure your vehicle of choice is on the IRS list.

The other two are for using alternative fuels in a business. One is a credit for fuel-dispensing equipment (storage and delivery, like pumps) and the other is for actual purchase (or sale) of the fuel - up to $1 a gallon credit.

This latter will be great for us - we are self-employed, and end up with 2-3 Schedule Cs, and use our vehicles for our businesses. The 60 will be in service for both our businesses (I am a management and development consultant - fancy word, not the high pay! - for small non-profit conservation organizations and sometimes for-profit businesses for their conservation programs; Jonathan is now the editor of the extremely cool Overland Journal) .

I have contacted a biodiesel wholesaler in Tucson who sources US-crop biodiesel and will deliver bulk fuel (as little as 100 gallons), and sells a nice affordable storage unit that qualifies for the credit, too - so I'll save coming and going.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Awesome Roseann! :bowdown:

I have to admit that I was I was looking forward to the mod thread for the SAS on the Honda Fit that Jonathan joked about. :elkgrin:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
I found this image from 1988, overlanding in Baja with my FJ55 and our first 2 sea kayaks - I was 24 years old! So you can see Land Cruisers really are my first love (after all, that's what Jonathan was driving when I met him . . . ]

RH-FJ55.jpg

Where is the bigger image of this picture!?

Cool vehicle choice. I love the decision process, very scientific. :clapsmile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater