Question about '85 Ford F250

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm going to look at an F250 4WD, 351 w/5-speed manual gearbox and wondering if there is anything that's a common issue with anything on them that I should look for.
It's main use would just be hauling stuff and towing an 18' flatbed 7,500lb GVW trailer. Not really concerned about overall off-road performance.
Thanks.

Rot Box

Explorer
Is it a 95 with a 5 speed or a 85 with a 4 speed?

Assuming someone swapped in a 5speed to the 85.... They are decent trucks. None of the factory gauges/instruments are worth a darn and the front axle (likely the D44 TTB) eats ball joints and rod ends like candy but for the most part they are good cheap work trucks. I personally would not want to tow a load of that size down the highway with a 351. If it is the heavy 3/4 ton with the full floating axle the truck itself could take the weight but you had better enjoy life in the slow lane :coffeedrink:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback. The guy says '85 with 5-speed. It's definitely not a '95 so maybe a gearbox swap or he made a typo.
Towing that load will be the exception rather than the rule. But I'm used to the slow lane, driving Land Rovers. :)

Revco

Adventurer
Look for rust in the rear cab corners, floor pans, and around the door sill seam, as well as the fenderwell edges, etc. LMC truck sells lots of repro parts for the 80-86 trucks, and lots of 87-96 parts interchange as well. I have an '83 F250 with the 351w & C6, but it's a 2wd. It could pull my 18' flatbed with a truck loaded on it without any issues, but if you plan to tow on any sort of slope or grades, I'd suggest the 460 big block. The 351w is great for short hauls and mild towing, while still maintaining decent fuel mileage, but the 460 is a powerhouse.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Turns out it was a 460 and 4 speed. It's in fairly rough shape but I bought it for $1500 anyway. Overall the rust isn't bad, a couple of small areas on the bed.
The only thing obvious it needs is an exhaust manifold gasket, valve cover gasket and maybe a tie rod end. Possibly a pump in the rear fuel tank assuming they are in tank pumps. It wouldn't start when switched to the rear tank.
What's a good shop manual for it? Haynes or Chilton? I've always had Haynes in the past. I don't really want to spring for the factory manual at $100+
I may be back with more questions. ;)

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
My dad had an '83 F250, 460, 4speed 4x4. It was a great truck (I am not a Ford fan so that is very hard to say). We did swap the big Holly out for a big Edlebrock. It made a huge difference in drivability and even picked the milage up from 8 to 10. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks, seen it a few times on those trucks. It was a great truck that would pull anything we hooked to it.

Rot Box

Explorer
it needs is an exhaust manifold gasket

What 460 doesn't?! LOL :coffeedrink:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it should still have the engine block mounted mechanical fuel pump. If that's the case you likely need a new tank selector valve in order to use that tank. Its not uncommon to hear of these getting gummy and sticking over time.. I recommend Napa's premium line for the tie rod ends they're good stuff. Do you know what front axle is in it yet? If the selectable hubs appear to be huge it is likely the D50 TTB axle which was an option in those years. It is stronger and comes with larger brakes compared to the standard D44 TTB unit.

Also it would be wise to add an aftermarket water temperature gauge right off the bat. The factory piece is unreliable at best and gives you zero indication of what the actual temperature is degree wise lol.

Those trucks have a lot of charm I think you'll really enjoy everything except the fuel mileage once you get everything sorted out :bike_rider:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I need to look for manifold crack. Someone near me has a pair for $30 I think, so I have an option.

I won't have it home until this evening, so not sure about the fuel pump. I was just basing my guess on looking up a replacement fuel pump online. I haven't actually looked for the pump on the vehicle.
I don't know what the front axle is yet. The rear is a C9 according to the door tag which I think is a 3.55 or there abouts (going on memory for the ratio from the owners manual list). Oddly the owners manual didn't provide any info on the front axle.
Do Fords have a line ticket hidden somewhere? IH stuck them on the back of the glovebox.
What did they use for the 4speed gearbox? It looks to have a PTO cover plate on the left side of it.

Revco

Adventurer
Fuel tank selector valve is your issue...very common with these trucks. You can also swap the rear tank out with a Bronco tank for added capacity.

Before you spend $$$ on manifolds or anything, look around for some headers, used or new. Uncorking the exhaust with better flowing headers and a dual exhaust will help bring out more power. That big motor needs to breathe. Swapping to an aftermarket carb like a Holley 750 and bumping up the timing will make it really come alive, and should actually help give you another mpg or so.

Expect single digit mpg's with that T-19 4-spd, you could always swap in a later model "ZF" 5-spd if you really need the overdrive. You'll need the donor vehicle trans crossmember, as well as the, clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing from the ZF donor truck. Stock driveshafts will bolt right back up, so it's a pretty painless swap. It should also help pick up some more fuel mileage.

Someone above mentioned gauges...definetely get some aftermarket gauges, mechanical is fine, Oil Pressure and Water Temperature, even a pair of cheap gauges are far better than the factory gauges.

Post pics when you can, I love these old Fords.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Here's the beast.

1985_F-250.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Hey that's good lookin! From the pic it looks like a Lariat :bike_rider: Much better shape than I was expecting especially for $1500 I think you did great. keep us posted.

Revco

Adventurer
Great looking truck!

I just got home from gutting a 351w & C6 out of a friends '86 F150 donor truck to put into his '62 Fairlane. If you need some spare parts, this truck is in pretty good shape and the parts would be free if you cover the shipping. No bed, no grille/core support, but the interior is pretty nice and it's all complete. Maroon interior with the woodgrain cluster and a checkered stereo cover. Just a heads up if you need any misc interior/door parts before he drops it off at the metal recycler.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Right now all I really need, that I'd want used, is a 16x6 steel 8 lug wheel (I have no spare).
Though I could probably use a working load sensing proportioning valve at the rear axle. And my wife wouldn't mind it if I found a working radio.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've figured out that the door tag is (possibly) wrong, saying it's a C9 rear axle (which I've been told is 8.8"). It's actually a Ford 10.25" full floating limited slip.
The ID tag decodes to that, though for some later years it says for the "C9" to see the same ID number as on my tag.

UHAULER

Explorer
I've figured out that the door tag is (possibly) wrong, saying it's a C9 rear axle (which I've been told is 8.8"). It's actually a Ford 10.25" full floating limited slip.
The ID tag decodes to that, though for some later years it says for the "C9" to see the same ID number as on my tag.

I bought an 83 f250 4x4 back in 1990. It appeared to be an ex government truck. It had a 300 six, 4 speed and an 8.8 semi float rear axle. I had never even thought they would put an 8.8 in an f250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan