Question about CampChef propane fire rind

Lichen

Explorer
With all of the no-burn regs in AZ, I bought a propane fire pit. Cool, but the instructions say that I have to use a 20# propane tank. I have a 5# and a 13#. Why can't I use one of these? I just don't have the room for a 20# tank.

Lichen

Explorer
I was down at Walgreens this morning and rented one of their 15# tanks. Fired right up. These firepits are well worth the money. It was like $88 from Amazon with free shipping.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have seen them in costco around here also ? had thought of getting one to try out ?

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
I bought one recently to use at the Southeast Overland Rally. I was going to get it from REI, but they were backordered. So I ended up getting it from Amazon.

We used it a few nights for roasting marshmallows. It was great. We used it with a 20# tank, but I'm sure it would have worked fine with our 11# tank too.

STREGA

Explorer
Picked one up at Sportsmans Wharehouse for $70.00 (Cabelas had it on sale for $90.00). It works well, we used up about half a 20lb tank using it 2 nights and 2 mornings-about 5 hours run time. Should be no reason that a smaller tank wouldn't work, I plan on using a 10lb tank for overnite camping trips myself now that I have an idea of how long it will last. Mine came with lava rock instead of the fake logs that were on the picture on the box, I left the rock at home to save weight.

Errant

Explorer
I, too, use one when fire restrictions don't allow for campfires. Works well, the rocks do help put out more heat (but I would imagine you could also go with rocks found around camp). We were able to roast marshmallows and use our cast iron pie-makers, just like a real fire :)

*edit* Oh, and no reason why you would not be able to use a smaller propane tank, so long as it has standard fittings

Lichen

Explorer
Thanks, Phil. So it looks like a 5# tank would only be good for about 2-3 hours. Maybe good enough for one evening if you go to bed early.

STREGA

Explorer
My thoughts are that the rocks heat up and give out more heat.

I should have put more info in my statement, I could not see a good reason to carry the extra weight of the lava rock when most campsites I go to provide usable rock if I need them.

The campchef is actually my 2nd portable campfire I have owned, My 1st one was a little smaller and made of Aluminum with a pair of folding legs. It was adjustable on the flame size where the campchef is not, the campchef quality is a little better and more user friendly IMO. There is no brand name on it but IIRC it was made in Utah, bought it about 7-8 years ago.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
How does this pit compare to the Campfire In A Can brand? The CIAC brand shows comparisons on Youtube of other brands, but not this one. The bigger the flame with more efficiency, the better, right? Curious.

Strizzo

Explorer
if you guys are as dry as we are here in texas, it might still be prohibited. I called padre island about using one of these back in may, and they basically said that any open flame not in a grill with a lid being used to cook was a no-no. lake travis near austin went even further and said no solid fuel period, so gas grills/stoves only

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I bought a camp chef fire ring and tested it out over the weekend. Overall I'm satisfied with it. It was a smaller fire which would be perfect for two or three. Also, there is a turn knob to allow gas from the line into the fire ring and by slowly turning it, the flame is adjustable. Not sure if that's the intended purpose, but I figure restricted propane flow allows for a more efficient fire conserving fuel if I don't want it full blast.

Advantages:
sit 360' around it as there is no smoke or harshness
lava rocks put out decent heat once hot
adequate sized flame for small campfire
small, as heavy as a bundle of wood (lighter than an actionpacker of wood, easier to transport - Easier to pack this and a 20lb tank than a week of wood.
cook over it
inexpensive - This depends on if you purchase wood or gather it. Many places don't allow wood gathering and thus this fire is less expensive to run than purchasing bundles.
Just turn it off and go to bed without worry of sparks or wasting gallons of water to put out wood

Disadvantages:
small campfire (won't have that big group bonfire feel)
carry a 20lb tank for extended use (although still smaller than multiple bundles of wood)
no wood popping or sound (hissing propane)

I could post a few more if I thought about it. I think I'll hold onto it for a little longer to test on an extended stay. If wood is available, why not burn it? Although I guess it's more environmentally friendly?

Last edited:

Strizzo

Explorer
one of the reviews on amazon said they used it to dry out and burn wood that would normally have either not burned or been a pain to get/keep lit to help the size of the fire and conserve propane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12