Question about CampChef propane fire rind

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hmm, I guess you could put small pieces of wood on it, but then it gets messy as you have to empty the ash out. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps a firelog or such would provide more flame and heat. Either way I think if you're not looking for a bonfire that you'll be satisfied.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
OK - I took this bad boy and a 20lb propane tank to Baja. Freakin' awesome. The simplicity of hooking it up (the tank sits a good 6feet from the pit behind your chair) and ease of use is great. I never had it on full blast and used the valve on the fire ring to control the fire size. When it's dark out, it's plenty of light. Also, the lava rocks get warm and it's a great source of warmth! While it wasn't very cold out, I as well as others had to back up a bit once the rocks were fully heated up!

Over two nights of a fews hours usage each, we maybe used 1/3 of a 20lb propane tank without lugging any wood, getting sap in my van, or smelling smoky. Granted it's missing the "characteristics" of a real fire and I'll use a wood fire if I have one, this is an awesome little propane fire at 1/2 the price of the Campfire in a Can model!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
if you guys are as dry as we are here in texas, it might still be prohibited. I called padre island about using one of these back in may, and they basically said that any open flame not in a grill with a lid being used to cook was a no-no. lake travis near austin went even further and said no solid fuel period, so gas grills/stoves only

I did check with our forest service (AZ), as long as it propane with lava rock it is approved. No different then a propane stove they dont want anything that can produce embers is how it was explained to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12