Question about getting the right 70 series

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Hey all, Ive done some searching around with no luck, so I figured Id come here for some education.

Ill be in the market for a 70 series in the forseeable future, and im trying to determine which of the features i want can be had.

My non negotiable criteria is a turbo diesel motor and a 5 spd. I also really want the cable lockers front/rear.

So the question: if i can get it, id like to have all of that with either a soft top or a removable top. Is that possible? Or would it be possible in the 4door/prado variant? If i find the right truck without the lockers, are there easy options for adding them?

Thanks all

-Kurt

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If you import one it'll have a 5 speed. Guaranteed. A 12ht is easy to find. Just has to be 25 years or older. As far as the factory lockers, that may be a bit harder to find.

Clintnz

Observer
You must have been out of NZ for a while... :)

The thing that would tick most of your boxes would be a BJ74 - 3.4 turbo, removable FRP top, plenty around in 5spd. A few with lockers. Heaps of them in NZ, used imports from Japan. The 4 cyl 3.4 isn't Toyota's most inspiring turbo diesel but they're quite reliable. There are plenty of easy options for aftermarket lockers, ARB is the most popular, just add $$$$.

You do not want the 2.4 turbo diesel Prado motor. The 3.0 1KZ-TE in the 1993+ Prados is not so bad but you can only import 25+ yr old rigs into the States right? Never seen a soft top Prado here but there are a lot of weird 70 variants around the world so they may exist.

Cheers
Clint

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Ok....so what are the reliable motors to get? Im more concerned with getting a 'tank' than i am 'inspiring'...... Although a reliable turbo motor is preferred....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 13BT (the one Clint referred to) is a great motor. I've driven it in a 60 series with a spring-over and 35s. Not really lacking in power, (by yesteryears standards) and very reliable. I'll get a BJ74 some day. There are some nice JDM models here in BC.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
BJ74 - 13B-T good reliable motor, strong internals.
Troop's are of course the desirable body style, hands down. Non removable top though.
But I can't keep up to all the engine designators but I think they come with 1-Hz non-turbo motors.
That motor is not desirable to be turbo'd either from what I understand.
Bj74 is the only removable roof with a turbo that I can think of. I have one, but still in building stage.

One thing I can add, there is only 4" or less of wheel base from a Bj74 compared to a 60 Series wagon, meaning a very good long wheelbase for a 'short'
2 door. About 18" shorter inside. They really do seem to be the perfect compromise between agile off road, and ability to take enough stuff for longer trips.
I have both, and if I can get the BJ74 to where I want it, then the I'll sell my 60. My 60 has a 12H-T which in my opinion is a way better motor, but not available
factory in any 70 series unless I'm mistaken. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.

Clintnz

Observer
Thanks all!

What are things most prone to fail that i should look at replacing/upgrading early on?

Check for rust under the tail lights- standard feature on most 70 series. I actually chopped out most of that section as it made it easier to mount my custom rear bumper. Budget on replacing springs & shocks, it seems to be a bit of a lottery with suspension on some Japanese market 70 series, my old BJ74 as delivered as a used jap import had really saggy soft suspension, road handling was terrible, but I've driven others that arrived pretty nicely suspended.

Cheers
Clint

Arktikos

Explorer
There is a Land Cruiser Forum called IH8MUD with a 70 series sub section that you may want to check out. Neat looking heavy duty vehicles for sure, but I hear they are prone to rust and that parts are difficult to find.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
There are about 3 dozen Series 70 SWB Land Cruisers for sale in Costa Rica right now. All >25 years old, all around $10K and all diesel. In the decade I've been looking and buying trucks down there, I've seen VERY few with factory cable lockers. Mostly on LWB ambulance versions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears