question and thoughts about series & pop ups

frans

Adventurer
The new landrover tent thread prompted me to post this

I am presently in the design stage of creating a pop up tent for a series 109 land rover.

This pop up would raise up evenly (not hinged to one side), and have water proof tent material with sewn in windows/covers/no-see-through critter screens. The tent would fold into the vehicle when the pop up is lowered.

Part of my design mandates are:

To be able to open, close, and lock down the pop up from within the vehicle
Weigh less than 100 lbs.
Be completely component design, ie bolt in and out with no major modifications to the body.
Have a cot system similar to the Dormobile
All parts sourced in the u.s.
Be less than 3 grand for the entire unit
Be low profile, not sticking up or changing the overall profile too much

My idea is to share my process of building this publicly, but in the meantime I am wondering about the level of interest in this.

frans

Adventurer
Yes, all four corners go up.
The x-panda is no longer available. It is just this type of pop up which started me thinking there is a need for a pop up which is updated and easily available.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have long wanted to build a hard tonneau cover for the bed of my '84 Toyota truck that would have similar pop-up features. I have given a lot of thought to various mechanisms to achieve this since I can't easily be under the top to lift it. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

frans

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
I have long wanted to build a hard tonneau cover for the bed of my '84 Toyota truck that would have similar pop-up features. I have given a lot of thought to various mechanisms to achieve this since I can't easily be under the top to lift it. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

"Tonneau cover". That was the key word which guided me to finding an already manufactured pop top which would work for the series 109 land rover.

"Doug Richardson built a pop-up top for his 109 back in the early seventies - I think you can see his latest version here:"

www.landrover-motorhome.com/

Hey neat!
I have a couple of thoughts/observations about it which in my mind disqualify it from being a contender:
1. that tent set up is huge and unwieldily. A real wind grabber. Also, like the Dormobile top, it looks very hard to fix or replace the fabric. My idea of the fabric portion is that any competent seamstress/awning fabricator/saddle shop should be able to repair or fabricate a new one.

As for the bumper (off topic) I have no need to carry oil. Store snow chains yes, but oil? I can carry a few cans of oil elsewhere.

2. the top is flat. I imagine parking the rover under trees and having the top get loaded up. Also water would not sheet off easily. Also you would not be able to install a rack if you wanted to carry a kayak or something.

The product which is already in production is from this guy:
http://www.silvershieldsystem.com/index.html

The web site is well, difficult. The pictures are small. The main thing I like about this cover is that Silver Shield will make a cover to any outside dimensions. In talking to him, he professed a willingness to work with me on various changes.

I have yet to figure out how to mate the Silver Shield to the body of the rover. As the rover I will be working with is a 3 door 109, I am thinking I will have to separate the front (over the driver) section of the roof. Then mate that section to a frame which will support the top. I think I have to do this roof separation because I want to avoid building a surface which will mate perfectly with the top of the windshield and the tops of the doors. Too much exacting fabrication.

And for the same reasons as I stated above, the rear flat section of the roof which mates with the top of the rear door will have to be mated to the new roof frame.

I still have to work out details, as you can prob. tell.

The Silver shield is light, strong, and even tho you cannot tell from the little itty bitty pictures on the web site, the legs fold compactly under the top. So they don't take away from precious space in the rover.(I hate banging my head)

I welcome all thoughts on this. I am hoping smarter folks than me can help me with the details...

James86004

Expedition Leader
frans said:
Also, like the Dormobile top, it looks very hard to fix or replace the fabric. My idea of the fabric portion is that any competent seamstress/awning fabricator/saddle shop should be able to repair or fabricate a new one.

The Dormobile top fabric is not that hard to repair or fabricate. Besides, ours is 40 years old and is still decent.

frans said:
This pop up would raise up evenly (not hinged to one side), and have water proof tent material with sewn in windows/covers/no-see-through critter screens. The tent would fold into the vehicle when the pop up is lowered.

This sounds a lot like the tops on Four Wheel Campers They are lifted from inside, and look well thought out. If you go to the Four Wheel Camper section of this site and watch the videos of them putting it up, it looks real easy.

frans

Adventurer
James86004 said:
The Dormobile top fabric is not that hard to repair or fabricate. Besides, ours is 40 years old and is still decent.

As I have not touched or seen one in person I am working in the dark. The main point I am making is that the Dormobile is a special order product. Someone like myself has not the resources to order up the kit. But I am fairly handy at fabricating, and I live in an area with lots of highly skilled welders who normally work with alum. and stainless steel. They work on the intricate winery/bottling systems for the vineyards.

I would also like to avoid fiberglass Because of the weight. In the areas I frequent, the sun is punishing to fiberglass so alum. seems like a good choice.

This sounds a lot like the tops on Four Wheel Campers They are lifted from inside, and look well thought out. If you go to the Four Wheel Camper section of this site and watch the videos of them putting it up, it looks real easy.[/QUOTE]

Boy I love the internet! Maybe I do not have to invent a 'better mousetrap' !! Thanks for the tip! I just knew if I bounced some ideas off of you folks someone would steer me in the right direction.
I will contact them and check it out. Thank you again.

seriessearcher

Adventurer
Solid Design Required

I think with the popularity of the Dormobiles there would be interest in a solid design. I find this thread interesting and will be following it.

I am restoring my Dormobile since i needed more room than my 88 as I have two small kids.

The hardest part will be molding the fiberglass roof. I would borrow from the dormobile design and modify an existing 109 roof not replace it as a whole. That way it can be done as a kit.

The dormobile design is quite slick with the bunks up top and the fold down seats.

Good luck on the project and keep us posted.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
My wife and I actually talk about doing this with out Range Rover, I think it would be a great set up and it aould keep it small so we can get to those remote places!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears