Question for Cruiser/LX470 owners

J

JWP58

So with twins on the way Im looking for a larger vehicle, and the land cruiser appeals to me. My previous Toyotas were great (4 tacomas, 1 t100), and the 100 series seems to have enough room. I only do very mild offroading, mainly to go bird hunting in the western us. I just need to be able to haul around both kiddos and dogs (brittanys), and the equator is going to be very tight with car seats.

So my question is how many miles is too many miles? I feel strange looking at vehicles with 100k miles (my equator has 34k), but if these rigs will go 300k + with good maintenance it would make more sense.

oliverlove

Adventurer
My 470 has 129k on it. I paid $10k for it about 6 months ago. Most guys laugh when I tell them the mileage, and say it has MINIMUM 100k more to go.

Klierslc

Explorer
The only mileage consideration south of 200k is whether the timing belt has been done and when it was done in relation to current miles. For example: 180k truck with timing belt just done for the second time is better than a 130k truck that has never had it done. If you can do the work yourself, this is a powerful bargaining chip. In my opinion, the ideal 100 series has 90k-110k with a recent timing belt change.

p nut

butter
I don't know...I'd rather take the 130k truck vs 180k truck. 50k miles is like a 7 years worth of ownership for me (as it would be a 3rd "road trip only" vehicle), so for me, it's not better. But definitely get the timing belt/water pump done. (granted, the OEM timing belts are pretty stout, and when I had mine done, it looked almost new!)

brentbba

Explorer
I know you are specifically asking about the 100 series, but in the heritage line, my 80 and dozens more I know of from IH8MUD are going strong with well over 200K on the clock. I've got 241K on the clock and only major item was a blown head gasket not uncommon in the '94 at 205K. With a new top end and gasket, I figure I've got another 200K in it without anything but good maintenance. Engine is an inline 6, not the V8 in the 100. Solid axle instead of IFS too. I don't think you can go wrong with a well maintained 100 series with 100K miles.

sseaman

Adventurer
The normal thought on these is to buy the lowest mileage, best maintained one you can find for the money you want to spend. There will be some trade offs, I opted for 20-30k more miles because of the service history on mine and it was the color I wanted.

06 flstfise

We got into our 05 for similar reasons. We had two Subies (impreza 5 door and a FXT) and do a lot of traveling with the kids ages 5 and 4. After our trip out to moab last summer we decided we wanted more room and the ability to carry more people, as we tend to meet up with family and friends while on the road and get sick of taking two vehicles for 5-6 people. While I rarely buy and vehicle new, looking at a vehicle with over 100k was new to me. Did lots of research on Ih8Mud and used the SLEE buyers guide to help put my nerves at ease. Over time I started to trade off more miles for better documented history and finally found a great 05 with a pretty darn good paper trail and low miles 105k for an ok price of 18k. We live up in the rust belt and that added to the difficulty of the search. Ended up traveling 6 hours to find the right one but we have loved it for the past 5 months, and surprisingly we have used the third row like once a week. It is a little tougher for our 12 year old lab to get into but nothing a ramp won't fix. I second sseaman advise, although sometimes the color has to somewhat flexible if you are getting into a time crunch. Good luck

JohnnyS

Explorer
Ours has 150K and is like new. If well maintained they will last for a really, really long time.
My father has two that see regular hard duty (he uses them for ranch work...bizarre) both are approaching 300K and have never had any drama with normal PM.

87Warrior

GP'er
Just bought my first 100 series from the original owner. It's a 1999 with 247k miles. Toyota records show timing belt done at 188k. Short of rebuilding some of the front suspension/steering, replacing the heater hose T's, replacing the tires and cleaning the interior it needed nothing. I am taking it on a 12 hour road trip in a week and have no reservations in doing so. The V8 is whisper quiet and has no problem putting the power down, especially when compared to my wife's 2012 Acadia.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
The only mileage consideration south of 200k is whether the timing belt has been done and when it was done in relation to current miles. For example: 180k truck with timing belt just done for the second time is better than a 130k truck that has never had it done. If you can do the work yourself, this is a powerful bargaining chip. In my opinion, the ideal 100 series has 90k-110k with a recent timing belt change.

I completely agree with this. Shop condition more than mileage. I bought my 2000 LX470 with 113k. I am now at 161k and think that maybe I should do some maintenance other than oil changes. LOL! This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and that is saying a lot.

nmatcek

Adventurer
I also felt strange looking at a vehicle with over 100k on it.....until I took a test drive. Bought my 100 with 146k and I'm up to 151k now and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere for any distance. I've spent a fair amount doing some maintenance items and swapping all fluids but it's nothing I wouldn't have done even if I bought a lesser vehicle with only 50k on it. The thing just runs and drives great and feels so solid.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
I bought mine last summer with 230k on it. Steering wheel has a wear hole in the leather cause the former owner never held the wheel anywhere but the one place. Had to replace the front axle shafts. Needs something done to the power steering lines and the heater hose T on the back of the motor, cause those are both leaking. Oh yeah, had to replace the radiator too, only cause we were heading out of state for a funeral and didn't want to possibly have an issue enroute.
Otherwise, very solid shape. Lacks a little power compared to my DMax, but hey, it's not a diesel.
Only complaint? Drivers seat needs more lumbar support, and a fifth gear would be great.
Took it down the devil's staircase in Sedona bone stock, no lift, stock tires. Jeep guys and FJ40 owners said I'd be dragging at best, hanging up at worst. Never even scraped. At all.
As soon as I can, gonna get either a late model 100 or 200 for the wife's DD, then I get to do what I want with the hundy. :safari-rig:

goblue

Agree with everything said, but I'd add that the 5 spd is very nice to have (03+) and the 5spd plus VVTi is very very nice to have (06+).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Mine was purchased at 170,000k. Got it to replace a tarted up '11 Rubicon with 25,000 on it. The Land Cruiser is twice as tight and far more pleasant to drive. My wife dd'd the Rubicon and now does the TLC. She likes a new car, but says the 100 is the nicest car she's owned, including a brand new Tiguan, Rubicon 4 door and Tacoma DC.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw I bought and built my 2000 100 Series (Project Death Star) with ~160k on it and it wasn't terribly well maintained before that. I did some baseline service, brakes, fluids, belts, etc and I've had to replace some stuff along the way but it's been absolutely reliable and I've been all over the Western US and Mexico (BC) with it. It's now at 205k and while the interior and exterior is getting a bit rough, it still cleans up nicely and performs great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78