Question for Pinzgauer owners

STAGE 2

Adventurer
I'm thinking about adding a pinz to the stable, but there are a couple of deal breakers for me and more importantly my better half. What is a realistic crusing speed for the freeway, and how loud is it in the cab at said speed. Also, do you get any engine fumes in the cab? Thanks.

rusttorod

I had one a few years ago. Freeway speed is going to top out around 55 with a breeze at your back. She's wound up pretty high at that speed. It's more comfortable at about 50. At that top speed you're not going to have a casual conversation with your passenger. I always wanted to put some sound deadening material inside the engine cover and maybe the floors. That engine cover does cut the noise in half vs. driving without it installed (like when i was tuning the carb), so I suspect some dynamat would help a lot too.
Here's a video I took when I was getting ready to sell mine. It shows me driving around the neighborhood, both inside and outside the truck. Overall I highly recommend getting one. They are very easy to drive and are a ton of fun. They're easy to work on and every part on it is readily available at a reasonable cost too.
-Shane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koBWJjvrHZ0

karoja

Adventurer
I own a 712 Ambulance, converted to a camper. Just took her in-country for a week. I agree with rusttorod on the cuising speed. Loudness is subjective, in my case I do not plan on using additional sound insulation on the cover. As to fumes in teh cab, non so far with my car and exhaust system in excelent shape. As to driving comfort in 4x4 situations, excelent.

scottsvogel

Average freeway speed is between 50 and 60mph (closer to 50mph in hilly areas). However, the road and drivetrain noise is fairly daunting (get a loud stereo).
I have a 710M (troop carrier) and when the sides/back are open I do encounter fumes, when decelerating. Often times when downshifting or braking, fumes will waft in from the back. However, if the vehicle is sealed-up with the canvas closed/secured, then no fumes.

STAGE 2

Adventurer
Average freeway speed is between 50 and 60mph (closer to 50mph in hilly areas).

This is another thing I'm wondering. I've heard people say, including one member here, that it can cruise at 70 all day on the highway. Others have said that 60 is possible but not recommended. Is this a vehicle specific thing or is there a standard for cruising speed? Are there any gearing changes or tranny upgrades (overdrive) that can help this?

762X39

Explorer
With a Pinz (or any other european military vehicle) the top speed tends to be 90kph or less because that is the legal speed for trucks in europe and you are talking about a surplus military vehicle after all.If you want to go faster, buy a Super Duty instead.You won't be dissappointed and your significant other will be comfy.:coffee:

scottsvogel

I don't believe 70mph is possible (and with the stiff suspension, I don't advise trying). As stated above, at 55mph, you are pushing the vehicle pretty hard. Top speed for my Pinz is slightly above 60mph.

karoja

Adventurer
I just added a 710M to my stable, it is deffinitely more nosy then the ambulance, and you definitely smell like a mechanic after driving one. The rear differential is surprisingly lowd, and the floor acts like a resonance board.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I had a 712M...top speed was 55-60mph. It cruised best at 45-50mph. They are very noisy trucks and without a ton of sound deadening work that won't change. Without a working diesel heater they are also very cold trucks. While mine was a soft top it had a cab back on it. I never got any fumes in the cab.

Mine was most enjoyable to drive on country roads. As far as pavement goes anyways. The noise is less when they are not doing 50+mph. They also handle really well with the independent suspension.

Any long distances and I trailered the truck. I wouldn't want to drive it on the HWY or do road trips on the HWY in a Pinz.

I don't know about parts being cheap....maybe that has changed since I owned mine. A clutch about 6yrs ago ran me over $800 in parts only! It was the easiest clutch I ever changed though...

Hafwit

Adventurer
I would suggest you post your questions to the many Pinzgauer enthusiasts on either the Yahoo Pinzgauer group or the Real4x4 forum.

Cheers,
Greg

Goalsquid

I have a 1973 710M with an aftermarket fiberglass hardtop. I have no problem in 5th gear pinning the speedo. This would be a top speed a little over 60mph. Two wheel drive of course.

The noise level is tolerable. The engine shroud does an amazing job of quieting the cab down.

I have never had any issue with exhaust gas in the cab.

Old_FJ_Guy

Observer
I have worked on a lot of Pnzs and really love them. The 710 and 712 have different transmissions that are geared differently. The 710 will do close to 65 and the 712 will do roughly 55 as others have said. I currently have a 712 with a 710 transmission in it and I think it is the best of both worlds. I think the 712 rides much smoother over a 710 and it is a function of the difference in the rear susupensions. They are great to drive and very easy to work on. Some of the parts are really cheap as some of the parts can be crossed to VW or BMW parts, however, the more unique Pinz stuff can cost you an arm and a leg.

Sound level can be reduced significantly by putting rhino lining throughout the interior to minimize the oil can effect. I put foam type sound batting wherever practical and it makes a big difference. I also trailer it over long distances as the stock seats aren't very supportive and the noise level eventually wears on you.

Swiss Army in AR and Expedition Imports in CA are excellent resources for parts and information. They also sell complete vehicles for your driving pleasure.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
My 710k runs fairly quiet. It was not too bad even before I put the closed cell foam insulation in. The carbs sometimes give a gas smell that can get in the cab but not the exhaust.

Like everyone says, cruise 90 kph - 95 kph top out a whisker over 100 hph

In real terms in Europe you stick with the trucks on the motorway and never had much problem on other roads, in fact I'm always surprised how many caravans and the like I catch up.

Remember asking what's a Pinz like is same as asking what's a Mog like. There were lots of different models and the later ones are diesel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan