Question for Sprinter owners...or those with insight into these

markley

Observer
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/5957445940.html

I also posted regarding this buried in another thread, but figured I gain more traction with a new thread. Sorry to do thay, but im guessing someone will scoop it up sooner than later and wanted to get yalls insight on whethet it would be worth pursuing. He's not asking for too much, but from what I understand, 2008 was the year they changed the exhaust system. Also, it is to right at the mileage that the issues spring up (from what I've read).

luthj

Engineer In Residence
2008 models were not bluetech, so they have DPF only. These are preferred over later models with SCR/ADBLUE. 120k miles is low, the engine should have plenty of life left. The DPF can be plugged if incorrect oil is used, or the vehicle was abused or run with a problem in LHM for an extended period. This would show up in a prepurchase inspection with a scanner.

The other issue that this engine sometimes has is that swirl valves and intake manifold get coked up or the actuator fails. This is a fairly expensive repair, However GDE offers a tune to eliminate the swirl valves function for around 600$, this includes EGR deactivation. The tune has a good track record, I would recommend it to anyone having issues.

At 120k miles the belt drive and cooling system should be inspected, but everything will likely be in good shape. DPF itself is fairly reliable with the correct oil and can be replaced without spending a fortune.

Might be a good deal. The van itself is probably worth in the mid to high teens . You need to evaluate what the conversion itself is worth. The conversion and solar are pretty basic. The electrical especially the solar seems sketchy.

Last edited:

markley

Observer
Thanks much for your reply! However, I have to admit, not being familiar with Sprinters (or have a lot of knowledge with vehicles in general; especially diesels) I had to look up a lot of the acronyms you mentioned. From what I can gather, a plugged DPF would show up with the check engine light? Sounds like the issue with the swirl valve and intake manifold wouldn't be too big a deal.

So if you were interested in this van, what would you ask the seller? He states that he has all the service records. I'm guessing that would indicate if the correct oil has been used.

Oh and regarding the conversion..yeah, it all seems pretty basic. I'd likely redo all of that. Anything that actually works or could be reused would be a bonus.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is lots of reading over at the sprinter-source.com forums (2007+ models are NCV3 designation).

DPF problems would show as a check engine light. A sprinter compatible scan tool would also allow you the DPFs soot load, and the time since last regeneration of the DPF.

Service records are good. You want to make sure they used low sulphated ash oil. The spec is MB229.51. A number of oils meet this spec, Valvoline Synpower MST, and Mobile 1 European car formula are common ones.

A pre-purchase inspection by a independent or dealer who regularly works on sprinters is advised.

I would check the records for the last transmission fluid change and coolant change. Everything else is the basics for any car. Does it run at a good temperature? Brakes, shocks, any clunks?

Most of the horror stories on these vehicles originate with owner hack jobs, or shops/dealers who simply do not know how to diagnose the sprinter platform. For the non-DIY type, you should see if there is a nearby mercedes dealer who will service the sprinter or a qualified independent shop.

Other less common issues are standard among diesel engines. Oil cooler gaskets, fuel filters, glow plugs, and the occasional injector seal leak.

The most common cause of total engine loss would be from people not maintaining the cooling system and belt drive (owner negelect). After 100-150k miles most cars need a new serp belt and tensioner, and a radiator cleaning. Sprinters cool just fine when everything is working. However, unlike the E series sprinters do not have the extra cooling capacity to handle system degradation. When this happens, and the drive ignores his gauges, bad stuff happens.

markley

Observer
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately the van is 8 hrs away. I'll ask the seller if he is willing to email me the service records. Seems to be very interested in any questions I may have. I'll also have to look into whether or not there is a qualified shop in my area.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately the van is 8 hrs away. I'll ask the seller if he is willing to email me the service records. Seems to be very interested in any questions I may have. I'll also have to look into whether or not there is a qualified shop in my area.
I would call the local fedex, delivery contractor, or otherwise a delivery company in the area that uses sprinter vans and ask who they use for service. There you might find a very qualified person. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179

Members online