Question for the Tundra gurus here

Casper

Adventurer
Hey Guys & Gals,
Got a question for you. I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 V8. This morning it started running terrible, shaking and such with the engine light flashing. My Scangauge was able to pull a code from the computer. A PO306. From what I have found on the net, that code means the computer is detecting a missfire in cylinder 6. I have done a cursery check of all wiring and such and can not find any "obvious" signs of the problem there.

So, my question. Is there anything that is commen on these engines that I should check? Coil?? not sure how to check that, but I would guess I could switch it for one of the others. Anything else??? If not then off to the shop, but I wanted to avoid that if it is easy.

Thanks for the help.
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

01tundra

Explorer
Nothing like that common that I've heard off for the 4.7's.

May want to try over on tundrasolutions to see if anyone over there knows anything.

jim65wagon

Definitely check with Tundrasolutions. If it were mine I'd start with pulling the #6 plug and have a looksee....black, wet, fouled (misfiring) or grey and dry (norm). I've no clue how to test the coil, but I'm sure a net search will let you know....how hard could it be? Keep us informed on your findings. Good luck.

Casper

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I checked TS. Seems like it "might" be a coil gone bad, but I have some testing to do to dettermine that. Looks like the only real way to test a coil (for a Tundra at least) is to pull it out and move it to another cylinder, then see if the OBD code moves with it. At nearly $80 bucks a pop I will try that before just buying one. Truck has 240k on it with the origianal coils so it could be. I will of course check the plugs while I am at it.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos

D

Deleted member 9101

Just swap the coil with another cylinder to see if the problem moves with the coil location.

Casper

Adventurer
Well, thanks again for the advise. Tundra Solutions was a great resource. As I noted in the last post, I had it pretty much down to the coil on # 6 cylinder. On the way home I got to thinking that although I could test the coil by switching it with another one on the engine, I would then have to wait until tomorrow to pick one up. So I decided to go ahead and just get one, and if that wasn't my problem I would at least have a spare. Well, switched it out and vala, problem solved. I went ahead and changed out my plugs as well. She is running like a champ. I am now thinking about picking up one more as a spare, since I have 7 more with over 240k on them. :Wow1:

Thanks again guys,
Josh
&
Porthos

jim65wagon

Glad to hear it's fixed; glad to hear you've gotten 240,000 so far, that's good news for our trucks. Now I can keep those symptoms in the back of my brain for future automotive reference. Thanks for posting this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78