Question for Xterra owners

BWCA_XJ

Hi all. . .

I was originally looking for an FJ Cruiser, but after spending time behind the wheel of an FJ it was not going to work. This led me to my other "top" choice, an 05 or later Xterra. Although I test drove an 05 OR model, which was great, my price point has lead me to one of two - a nice 2007 X with only 28k miles and a 2006 S with 38k miles. The 07 is slightly less money and has much lower miles. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Xterras - is there a big difference between the X and S models other than the alloy wheels and tube side steps? I don't mind steel wheels and the tubes would end up getting ditched for sliders anyway.

Please educate me on the difference between the X and S models.

spencerswahoos

Observer
There is no real significant difference between the X and S models other than what you stated. The only other difference that I can think of is the S model may have a fold flat front seat. The biggest difference on the Xterra is between the OR model and all of the other models. OR model is the only one that comes with a rear locker. Personally if the X model has less miles and is cheaper, I would go with that one.

nbleak21

Adventurer
Another vote for the X. I used to have one. mine came with steps (dealership add on for the previous owner) which I took off, and I replaced the steel wheels with alloys from another xterra when my tires were shot. Cost me $150, and I gained about 10k miles of added tread. Craigslist can get your X to where you want it, without sacrificing!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
In that instance take the lower priced one. I've got an 07OR and everything's running fine - just need to replace the brake pads (50K miles). There are a few things that the OR gets you that are nice (tin can skids, locking rear diff, hill descent control on the autos, clutch override for the sticks) but most of that can be added later.

spencerswahoos

Observer
Umm... Make sure the X has 4WD. I don't recall if it's 2WD or what.

I have a '07 X model, 4wd

I'm pretty sure all models have 4wd as an option. In fact, I'd guess that only the OR has no 2wd option.

IIRC '05 had a 2wd OR model, but no locker

07s are the best years - All of the fixes and none of the downgrades

Agreed, I looked at a '08 X model, no ceiling cargo hooks. My sis-in-law has a '09 X model, no wet box, center rear cargo area is covered by cheap carpet instead of plastic, and no utili-trac in the cargo area (possibly covered by plastic inserts according to some posts on thenewx)

OzX

Adventurer
Agreed, I looked at a '08 X model, no ceiling cargo hooks. My sis-in-law has a '09 X model, no wet box, center rear cargo area is covered by cheap carpet instead of plastic, and no utili-trac in the cargo area (possibly covered by plastic inserts according to some posts on thenewx)

I think they are also missing the engine cover

24602530008_large.jpg

My '08 OR has hooks, utilitrac, plasted rear end, wetbox on top.

'09 is when everything went to ****. I feel the '08 OR was the best OR edition you can get.

spencerswahoos

Observer
My '08 OR has hooks, utilitrac, plasted rear end, wetbox on top.

I was talking about the '08 X model (base) and totally agree with the statement about the '09 models. I actually thought about buying new last year when I totaled my first '07 until I looked at the '09 models. The cloth they used on the seats of my sis-in-law's X is horrible.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Sweet baby jeebus. An Off Road model in 2 @$#%ing wheel drive? What the shiat?

I will say, however, I love my 07. Over 50K miles and not a single problem. The only real maintenance I've got to do is replace the brakes - and even then, that's probably more due to spending a decent amount of time in muddy water and me wanting to replace them prior to things going to crap.

Sweet baby jeebus. An Off Road model in 2 @$#%ing wheel drive? What the shiat?

I will say, however, I love my 07. Over 50K miles and not a single problem. The only real maintenance I've got to do is replace the brakes - and even then, that's probably more due to spending a decent amount of time in muddy water and me wanting to replace them prior to things going to crap.

It's not completely out of the realm of sanity. Plenty of 2WD vehicles out there with rear lockers. Take a look at the Toyota Pre-Runner style. Look at all the vehicles used for pre-running races that are strippy 2WD models w/ lockers that scream through the deserts days before the actual race.

As I recall, the Nismo package on the Frontier was offered in 2WD as well as 4WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78