Question on single beam tongues

tag187

Observer
So I am ready to start work on the tongue of trailer but have some questions. It is a single beam and seeing as how it started life as a boat trailer the beam is 9 1/2 ft long. What is a good length to cut the tongue to. The trailer will see a good amount and variety of trail use so I want it to be nimble. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Could you make it so it was extendable, that way you would have the ability to vary the length if needed.

tag187

Observer
That idea never really occured to me but I LIKE IT:smiley_drive:. I don't see why I could not unless there is some law in Texas against it. I would imagine it would be set up just like the extendable arm on a engine hoist. Unless you have a different point of view. If so please let me in on it. Also what would be a good completly closed length?

Last edited:

IggyB

Adventurer
Just make the length of the beam such that if the trailer is jacknifed, the truck bed does not hit the trailer bed. So just a bit longer than half the width of the truck.

tag187

Observer
Thats what I was just reading about (need to use search before I start typing;)) I am just going to need to find a in between point because this trailer will be used with two different vehicles.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
the way mine ended up, the distance from pivot point to rear axle of my truck is about the same as pivot point to trailer axle. makes it pretty much follow the truck anywhere i go. yes, i can jackknife it into the back of my truck, but i try to avoid that.

remember, the shorter the distance from pivot to trailer axle, the harder it is to reverse. even the slightest input in steering can mean the difference between going straight back or jackknifing very quickly

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The advantage of an extendable beam would be that it could be shortened when off road to provide the quickness of movement needed, extended to improve tracking and clearance for tailgates or rear doors. One of the disadvantages is that it may result in a loose contact and increase sway.

tag187

Observer
I am going to put some more thought into the extendable tongue. Right now I have decided on a tongue length of aprox. 35". seeing as how my trailer is 126" without the tongue that gives me a aprox. total of 161". I guess we will see how it works out.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Snowbear utility trailers - the kind that are sold at Home Depot and Costco have extendable tongues.
I bought one a few years back and didn't use that function very much at all - I always kept the tongue short for manuevering it at the dump.
I extended the tongue when I moved out west and mounted a large Rubbermaid bin on there to store some tools and fluids etc.

It was basically a c-channel under the frame, and the tongue slid forward and back in there with a 1/2" pin, maybe 2 pins??? holding it in place. I can't remember exactly as I sold the trailer 2 years ago...
But take a look at one at the store and see how it is setup and then just use the idea on your own trailer. ;)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Varying the tongue length also has an effect on the tongue weight. I posted a thread with links about how to solve for that.

tag187

Observer
Varying the tongue length also has an effect on the tongue weight. I posted a thread with links about how to solve for that.

I read that. Very informative, I have gotten loads of good ideas for what I am going to do with the trailer on here. For now I am gonna stick with a solid single beam I think with either a Max coupler or a lock and roll unsure right now. But I am gonna keep the tongue length between 35" and 40".

D

Deleted member 9101

One cool thing about a single beam tongue is you can jack knife it, then drop the tailgate of your pickup and not have the trailer in the way.

tag187

Observer
The whole jack knife thing is the reason I am sticking with a single beam. Both vehicles that will be using the trailer have tailgates. Although it seems that I will also have enough room between the trailer and the tow rigs to drop the tailgates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman