questions 85 runner w/237,000 miles

colotaco

Adventurer
Hello all,
I need some expert advice on 85 runner's and the venerable 22re engine. With everything else being equal, straight body, new lift, 33's with good tread left, o.k. interior, asking price of $4950? Is that too high? I tried to do KBB and NADA but they only go back as far as 1988. I guess my question is how much do add on's like tires, new lift, shocks add to the price of an older high mileage vehicle? Also I own a 99 tacoma with 125,000 miles and it's still strong, is 237,000 miles too much for a 22re?

Thanks

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
my 2 cents

on 91 PU I had 240K on the 22re and no leaks, didn't burn oil and I would have trusted it to drive across the country.

I think the price is high, but a no rust, rare truck and the body is in great shape AND you love the truck. then it is worth it to you... I learned that on my 40. engine work is cheaper/easier than body work.

hth

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only question would be "what is it worth to you?" I would have a very hard time paying 5 large for a 23 year old vehicle with almost a quarter of a million miles on it - even if the engine is in good condition, what kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? I've seen early 80's (1st gen) Toyota trucks sell in the metro area for around $2k with over 200k on them, and I think that's a little excessive but it seems to be what people can get.

IMO the solid-axle trucks are overrated in the market (especially when you look at equivalent vehicles like the Jeep Cherokee which routinely sell for around $1500 with lower miles than the 4runner you are looking at) but the only opinion that matters is the opinion of the guy with the cash.

Do a quick CL search in your area for vehicles of equivalent mileage and equipment (the Cherokee is a good one because like the 85 it's a solid axle.) Then, decide if it's worth it to pay an extra $XXXX to have a "toyota" emblem on it. To some people it is.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
No way I'd personally pay $5K for a 1985, but that is the magical year that everyone is looking for. Last year of solid axle, EFI, pop-a-top, W56 5-speed, etc. Since you can get the very same truck minus the solid axle for $1,500, I think that's much too much of a premium.

But to your questions, a 22R block that is 200K+ is not a problem as long as the timing has been taken care CORRECTLY. The chain, guides and tensioner on the 22R are supposed to be replaced somewhere around 125K miles and the quick and dirty way that too many people do is to leave the HG in place and use cheap parts. That is recipe for failure. The right way is to pull the head, for one. So if the timing has been done, there is a chance that the HG wasn't replaced and if so I think that 200K+ is borrowed time. Some may go longer, but none will last forever on the original HG. But other than the HG and timing issue, a cared for 22R block will last near 300K. It'll be tired by then, but it won't be in horrible shape.

The rest of the stuff, if it's done well with good parts, lift kit, tires, etc., it should be valued at about 50% or less of the original cost. Rule of thumb, anyway. If you dump $5K into gears, lockers and all that, then expect to add around $2K to the price of a similar stock truck at the most.

So all of that said, if the truck is done well, hasn't been beaten (which is likely if it's built up), it could be worth $5K to be done and ready to drive. The engine will most likely need attention, timing and HG at least if it was mine. I personally would avoid a built-up truck that I did not know the history of first hand (like buying from a fellow club member). It's too likely that it'll be abused.

98dango

Expedition Leader
its worth every pennie if its clean and stright

i have a large amount to yots and thay all have over 200k if its clean and stright worth it

bjowett

Adventurer
Sounds a little high... BUUUUUT, it might be worth it to you if it's close and clean. 237k isn't much for a 22R that has been maintained... but that is the question.

Jeep Cherokee? Nice vehicle, the 4.0L is a sweet engine, IMHO comparing it to an 85 4-Runner is a bit of a stretch.

If you don't mind traveling a bit, look around the south for something clean.

An example - I got lucky with my 85 4-Runner. It came out from San Diego 1 year ago and is EXTREMELY clean inside and out. Over 300k miles and a blown HG = $1200 which I was more than happy to pay for something 45 minutes away from my home here in Massachusetts. Now put it back in San Diego with a blow HG and it might be a little high in price...

madizell

Explorer
colotaco said:
I guess my question is how much do add on's like tires, new lift, shocks add to the price of an older high mileage vehicle?

Not much. The value of modifications is highly negotiable, of course, and if this is something you want, think of it the other way around. How much would it cost you to find a stock, clean version of the same vehicle, then add what has been added, always assuming that the add-on's are things you want. Naturally you will pay more to buy new parts and bolt them on, but even newly added parts lose their value immediately, just like new cars. Just how much is up to you. 25% to 50% of original cost of the modifications added to base value is all you should have to pay if they are fairly new parts. New lift is not attractive in itself. Depends on the brand of lift, and who did the work. Lots of ways to do it wrong, few ways to do it right. You have to decide by looking.

Then, too, why would someone take such a truck, spend the time and money to modify it, then turn around and sell it? Did they do something wrong and selling is just the easiest way of getting out of the problem, or is there a real world reason for the sale?

If you feel comfortable judging the quality of the modifications yourself, take a look, and decide what you want to pay. If you don't have the expertise to spot problems, take someone along who can.

I would not let the mileage in itself be a deterrent, but personally, I think the price is high, even for a clean truck with clear title, modified or not. If the engine has not been overhauled, it is going to be higher maintenance than otherwise. Timing chains, oil pumps, gears, transmission, all things that are expected to wear out eventually. I would look for maintenance history. Crawl under and take a look. Look for signs of leakage and rust, worn U-joints or other signs of drive line neglect. Check the brake shoes and drums. With over a quarter million miles on the clock, something will have to have been maintained or it would not be still running.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
IMO the solid-axle trucks are overrated in the market (especially when you look at equivalent vehicles like the Jeep Cherokee which routinely sell for around $1500 with lower miles than the 4runner you are looking at) but the only opinion that matters is the opinion of the guy with the cash.

5K is a bit steep for that truck, but really, the SFA 1ST Gen 4Runner is one of the coolest and best wheeling 4x4's ever offered in N. America. The really great thing about these trucks though is that with a refreshed suspension, a new motor and some interior refurbishment you basicly have a new truck that'll go another 300K with no complaints.

But, again, I think 5K is too much for any truck that's that old.

Cheers

Dave

colotaco

Adventurer
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Based on the miles and the potential HG issue I decided to pass on this one. Thanks again.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
FWIW, I just ran a CL search for 4Runners in Denver with a max price of $2500. I got 49 hits.

I also did a search for "land cruiser." There are plenty of FJ60's out there for under $2500. Some need work but some don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman