Questions about adding a pop top to my Gen 1

ripperj

Explorer
AC Tig is what you want for aluminum unless it's real thick and you are using 2-3 hundred amps and helium gas

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

zukrider

Explorer
Cool idea! for the SWB, what if you had an extension? say the hinge is at the windshield. at the rear, after the top is lifted, fold out a 12" panel on a piano hinge. have the tent material draw taught from it being opened. can use some simple turnbuckles to suck it down and tighten the fabric. will give you the slight added space you desire, in a simple format. when done, fold the panel back into the truck and lower the top. should be doable.

mr_ed

Toolbag
I may have missed it, but what is your plan to access the pop top? Sunroof, or are you cutting the roof to give yourself a full on room in there?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I may have missed it, but what is your plan to access the pop top? Sunroof, or are you cutting the roof to give yourself a full on room in there?

Cutting the roof for access creates problems of its own and you need to evaluate the several pluses and minuses. I did not cut my roof and after several years with my poptop Im glad I didnt. IMO the only and main reason to cut your roof is if you live in climate areas were you need to place to be out of the elements. It sounds good but if you are able to access your poptop via a sunroof you are ready for cirque du soleil. Cut the whole roof or nothing at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman