Questions about Four Wheel Finch pop up - Bed

My wife and I have had a 200 Ford Ranger Extracab 4wd truck and a 1991 Jayco Sportster pop up for around 12 years now. We have really enjoyed camping with the rig in out of the way places across the western US and BC, but have probably put the truck and camper both through more abuse than they were meant to take, especially on rough back roads. The truck seems to be hanging in there fine, but with the 3.0 L v-6, it has always been way under-powered with the camper on it. The camper has a variety of issues including a slightly bunged-up roof (from an unfortunate encounter with a low-hanging eave at a drive-through coffee place), a partially failed crank-up lift system (long story there involving a missed roof latch late at night, repair of the system, a second failure, etc.), and areas of rot in the frame. We love the coziness of the camper, especially combined with the more tent-like, connected to outside feel you get with the fabric sides. We aren't up for doing a complete rehab on the Jayco, though, and it wasn't built for the stress and strain of rough roads in the first place. So, we're looking at upgrading.

Right now we're looking at buying a 2009 Tacoma 4wd with a 2011 Finch Four Wheel pop up. From looking at the rig itself and all we have read about both the truck and Four Wheel campers, it seems like a pretty ideal combo for us. It's kind of a stretch for us financially, though, and we want to make sure it's the right choice before we shell out. So we have some questions we'd like to run by folks out there who have experience with the Finch and/or other Four Wheel or similar campers. Rather than putting them all in one post, I think I'll post one at a time, or at least by one general subject area at a time. I'm thinking I'll post them on Wander the West as well, so apologies to those who frequent both sites.

First, questions about the bed, especially for couples who own, have owned, or have used campers such as the Finch with the fore and aft/north-south bed configuration. How has that worked out for you? Not looking for salacious details here (and not that the moderators would allow them anyway), just wondering how you find getting in and out, especially in the middle of the night. Did it take some getting used to? If you have also used campers like our Sportster with an east-west bed configuration, what is your preference?

Another difference between the old Sportster and the Finch is that with the Jayco, we could just leave the bed made up while we were traveling. With the Finch, though, you have to pull out a bunch of the cushions that form the mattress when you slide the platform back in and it doesn't seem like you can leave much of anything (bedding, for example) on top of the remaining cushion when you drop the lid. Not sure about the latter, so there's a question in itself. Beyond that, we're really curious as to what "short cuts" people may have come up with to mitigate the tedious need to make up and unmake the bed every day. Sleeping bags seem like one fairly obvious solution, but they can get kind of hot and sticky in warmish weather. We were thinking we could maybe take a couple of queen-sized top sheets and sew the bottom edges together so we could just spread them out on top of the cushions without having to tuck them in, then, depending on how cold it is at night, chuck a blanket or two and/or a comforter on top of that. Anyway, we're hoping someone has come up with some creative alternatives to making and unmaking these beds and would love to find out what they are.

More questions to come. Thanks in advance for "entertaining" them.

John

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have an Eagle on a Tacoma which I believe has the same size bed as the Finch. My wife and I sleep in it just fine and I do get up at night from time to time. :sombrero: I won't say I don't disturb my wife a bit but it's not too difficult. We leave a double sleeping bag on the bed and sometimes a blanket when we put the top down. You can also leave the bed pulled out when you drive as well.

I have an Eagle on a Tacoma which I believe has the same size bed as the Finch. My wife and I sleep in it just fine and I do get up at night from time to time. :sombrero: I won't say I don't disturb my wife a bit but it's not too difficult. We leave a double sleeping bag on the bed and sometimes a blanket when we put the top down. You can also leave the bed pulled out when you drive as well.

Thanks for the response, Charlie. I love the "feral geezer" description. Wish I'd thought of it first!

So there's enough clearance with the top down to accommodate a sleeping bag on top of the bed when the top is down. Good to know. I'm guessing if we get this rig we'll probably end up going that route as well. Maybe have to make our own custom queen size bag. Yeah, I realize you can travel with the bed pulled out, which would be fine for us as long as we didn't want to make coffee on the stove before heading out in the morning (I'm pretty sure you can't get at the stove and sink when the bed is pulled out in the Finch). That might be a least part of an excuse to go somewhere for breakfast, though.

John

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I have a shell with a couch and usually push the bed in during the day. Those four cushions that make up the second half of the bed just go on the main area unless in transit. When traveling 2 cushions go behind the couch and the other two under the table on the passenger side. You will find that everything has it's spot. Making the bed isn't tedious in the least.

I have a 2008 Finch currently mounted to my 2015 Tacoma. I like the north south bed because my wife and I can each get into or out of bed without having to climb over one or another. We sleep with our heads towards the back of the truck with our feet forward. We sleep in two 33" x 77" Walmart sleeping bags that are zipped together to make one 66" x 77" inch bag. I think they are rated for 40 degrees or there about. Sometimes we put an extra blanket on top if it's a cold night. I usually keep the thermostat around 55 or so.

I think FWC started making the cab over section a little thicker sometime after 2008. In order to allow more room on top of the bed with the roof down (I'm not sure about this). I can not leave my sleeping bag on the bed with the roof down. Not enough room. We roll it up and strap it to the fold over bench seat when we pack up. I do have a layer of reflectix under the cab over section of the mattress which makes everything even more tight when the roof is down.

You just need to be careful not to smash your head on the roof lift bar (not sure what it's called) when you are rolling out the bedding and wiping the condensation off the walls. Also it is a little bit of a climb to get in and out of bed.

5b8ab786-acb7-4a08-9863-2df6bf38b40a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger