Questions about national luna dual battery install for lr3

Alex M

Observer
I have an extended family trip coming up at the end of March and have decided it would be best to run a dual battery for the fridge and other unnecessary items that keep the family comfortable and happy. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but have decided to give the install a shot myself as it looks doable.

I've seen most people with lr3's have run the traxide, and have seen the install threads, but I like the national luna kit, and wanted some input on the install:

Primarily I want to know where/how you mounted the solenoid? I was thinking just bolting it to the driver side battery box, but I'm not sure if there is enough room.

Any advice on that, plus any other lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

unseenone

Explorer
Hi Alex

I have installed on in an LR3 for someone else.. IMO it was j u n k. That said, I'm not looking to start a fight, there are plenty of folks that use and love them. So to each his own.

I would advise the Traxide kit.

If you go with the NL kit, You should be able to find a stud/nut to mount it near the front of the battery box or on the front of the air valve system, in the void next to the battery box, etc.

Last edited:

Alex M

Observer
Hi Alex

I have installed on in an LR3 for someone else.. IMO it was j u n k. That said, I'm not looking to start a fight, there are plenty of folks that use and love them. So to each his own.

I would advise the Traxide kit.

If you go with the NL kit, You should be able to find a stud/nut to mount it near the front of the battery box or on the front of the air valve system, in the void next to the battery box, etc.

Not starting a fight at all. I was choosing the NL because I'd always heard they were really good. But if you have some feedback on it I'd love to hear it. I liked the idea of the in cab monitor, and I know that NL in general has a really good reputation and doesn't require the main battery to also be a deep cell. But I'm open to hear other inputs and other reasons to switch to the Traxide other than the wires being precut to work for the LR3, as I'm pretty sure I could handle that part ;)

Thanks for the feedback

iowalr4

Adventurer
I have a Traxide on my LR4 and I also have the dual batt monitor from luna....

IMG_20151226_192344_zpsc4s8at1o.jpg

(Yes the battery tie down bracket is off in this picture)
IMG_20150914_193833_zpsxviypnkb.jpg

Alex M

Observer
Where did you hook the luna remote up to? Is there a spot on the solenoid?

Did you replace your starter battery when you installed the 2nd one?

unseenone

Explorer
There is an extensive NL my battery controller is broken thread the Power Systems section. Like I say, everyone has an opinion. The Traxide pictured above is an SC80, most of the guys are getting the 160 now, it's a bit nicer, and handles more amperage. It is bigger though, so the spot pictured will not work for it. I never had a problem with my 80, it was re-homed and still in service.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/153273-Issues-with-National-Luna-dual-battery-setup

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...onal-Luna-Split-Charge-System-Charging-Issues

This is my setup here.

The Traxide is mounted on the flat section between the red and silver wires in the center lower part. Just under the shiny black wire covering you can just make out. The battery connector switch with the yellow led you can see in the picture. I don't need it in the cab, it's pretty well maintenance free, and if I am winching, I have the hood open.

There are quite a few Traxide install pictures here in this section, just search for Traxide.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Not starting a fight at all. I was choosing the NL because I'd always heard they were really good. But if you have some feedback on it I'd love to hear it. I liked the idea of the in cab monitor, and I know that NL in general has a really good reputation and doesn't require the main battery to also be a deep cell. But I'm open to hear other inputs and other reasons to switch to the Traxide other than the wires being precut to work for the LR3, as I'm pretty sure I could handle that part ;)

Thanks for the feedback

I have the Traxide D3-AU kit AND a NL battery monitor (because I felt the same way you do about wanting that). The Traxide kit is a very convenient zero fuss way to go because it's a bolt on kit, All the wires are pre-cut, and terminated, etc. Highly recommend them and the support is awesome! Oh, and the $AUD to $USD conversion is great right now.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I picked NL because they give you a tremendous length of cable. Not precut and nothing on the ends so I can do my own. If precut doesn't work with your routing you are screwed and have to buy more cable anyway.
Easy to mount the solenoid. Just forward of the secondary battery, bolted or screwed to the sht metal for a secure attachment. Not flat but different length screws with a sleeve does it.
I am in process of installing it and as soon as the battery terminal gets here it will be done. Had to change the neg terminal for winch and NL. Nothing extra can go to the stock LR terminal, the stud is tapered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998