Questions about possible 2001 Pathfinder purchase.

Robert907

Observer
I am considering purchasing a 2001 Pathfinder LE 4x4 that has about 120,000 miles. The original owner seems to have taken good care of it and to have done all required maintenance.

My questions are:

Is this a vehicle that I can expect to last for several years with minimal problems (assuming nothing unusual happens)?

What, if any, fairly simple modifications or improvements can be made to improve the vehicles odds of providing years of reliable service?

I started out looking at four-runners and ended up finding the aforementioned Pathfinder. Am I comparing apples to apples when comparing the Toyota and Nissan?

Thanks to any one who takes the time to help me.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
There will be some others chime in with more detailed information, but I did want to contribute and say that you are comparing apples-to-apples with the 4Runners and Pathfinders.

The construction is slightly different in that the 4Runners are body-on-frame while the Pathfinders are unibody. Depending on your needs, this may or may not be much of an issue. Look at Allof75 and russelh's builds in this section, they have both found ways to maximize their rigs' abilities with minimal effort and expense.

I had a 99 4Runner SR5 and almost sold it to purchase an 02 Pathfinder LE 4x4. The engine in the Pathfinder (3.5L) was way stronger than the 3.4L that was in my 4Runner. I ended up deciding I wanted back in a truck, so I bought an 07 Frontier, or else I would have bought that Pathfinder!

We've mentioned it in other threads lately, but Pathfinders (and Nissan 4x4s in general!) are often underrated. You can't beat them, especially when it comes to value!

stioc

Expedition Leader
duckhunter71 summed it up nicely. I have some background in my build thread that talks about what made me choose a Pathfinder. Reliability wise the engine is bullet proof and is used in many other Nissans including the G35. I do suggest finding a 2002 as some things (ignition coils for example- which aren't interchangable) were upgraded later but a 2001 is just fine too if it's been well maintained. Like most other cars the transmission oil cooler is part of the radiator so if the two mix that's not good but again, nothing in particular on the car that breaks. Oh the rust on the strut towers and fender wells, check that carefully and read this:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/pathfinder-qx4-general-information-and-q-a-t549378.html

Allof75

Pathfinder
My build addresses some of my reason in choosing the Pathfinder, but to also address some of your questions:

If it has been properly maintained, it can easily provide years and years of service from what I've seen. The 3.5 engine (VQ35DE) is shared in a ton of Nissan products, such as the Murano, Altima, Maxima, G35, I35, 350Z, and really anything with the 3.5 liter 6. Even the 4.0 in the current Xterra and Frontier is based on the engine.

Yes, it absolutely is an apples-to-apples comparison with the 4runner. IMO, the Pathy absolutely kills the 4runner in raw power, handling, and on top of that it's cheaper. It does however, give up the silky-smooth ride of the 4runner (It rides real nice once I put in KYB front and Bilstein rear shocks), and also ground clearance, but skidplates, 245 tires, and the lifts available (the springs may be worn out anyway with that mileage) should fix that.

I haven't lifted mine, but in my opinion, it's stupid capable right out of the box. And I say that, having been around and driven lifted TJs, lifted pickups, Broncos, and an Xterra Off Road Edition. I think it's the size and generally good power, plus factory 4.65 gears never hurt.

For more detailed information, you should visit: NPORA and NICO

Hope it works out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998