Quick and easy mounting option for roof rack on shell

TJRICE3333

Great looking work! Are those the original rack rails that came on your Leer? I've got a Leer 100XL and would love to "borrow" ideas from your project.

gsanders

Observer
Roof Attics

For those of you looking to add a roof or ceiling attic to the underside of your shell, consider getting some aluminum L or C channel from a big box or hardware store that comes with predrilled holes. My local Home Depot carries it in 8' lengths I believe. If you do a web search for truck canopy storage attic you will see many different versions with nets, screen, p-cord, etc. I am planning something similar for my canopy this spring when I work on it. With the C or L channel, you essentially have a multitude of holes ready to be used as attachment points and it can run the entire length of your roof tracks, essentially adding a stiffening component on the inside of your shell. I am thinking of using screen or possibly FarmTek chicken coop flooring to make an attic like space. Cargo nets or bungees could also be used. Cut the aluminum to your desired length and then use fender washers and your choice of nuts to sandwich the channel between the "ceiling" of your canopy and the nut for the bolt to secure the roof tracks.

Thetacotank

Quick question. How's the gap of the main fore and aft bar support on there. Is it gonna hit and run with any weight? Thanks in advance

dezrioux

Thanks, fourfa! Really glad I found this thread. I finished installing this setup on my truck last week. It looks great, and I was able to attach my awning on the roof basket so that it extends over the back of the truck.
The only concern I had was whether or not I would need to drill/file square holes into the plastic brackets (and possibly into the metal ones) to accomodate the carriage bolt. In the end, it was not necessary. Now, I just need to figure out how to make this theft proof. I will either purchase tamper proof nuts or make a small weld between the bolt and nut.

Cheers,

Attachments

• install4.jpg
    install4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • install3.jpg
    install3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 6
  • install2.jpg
    install2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
  • install1.jpg