Quick double check on new ARB fridge interior wall

pods8

Explorer
Just picked up and unpacked an ARB 50qt fridge. I was a tad surprised at what appears to be a bit larger gap in the mate up of the interior wall that I was expecting. Refer to the pictures below, is this standard or should I bring it to the manufacturer's attention? Just have a slight concern about mess/moisture getting into that gap over time. Suppose I could caulk it up too if needed...

Other than that so far looks pretty nice. I've got it plugged into the wall to play around with it. :coffeedrink:

2011-07-28_17-48-01_881.jpg

2011-07-28_17-51-26_271.jpg

greg mgm

Explorer
Considering the cost of that fridge, I'd shoot them an email and let them know.
If you get the time, I'd love to see more pics.

pods8

Explorer
I shot an email over, we'll see what the story is. I didn't know if I'd get a couple people quickly piping up in here letting me know if that matched their fridges or not.

Edit: Response is that it's normal based on how they stamp the material for the refrigerant flow. Supposedly no issues with moisture/mildew assuming you don't flood the thing completely (which you aren't supposed to do anyways).

Overview pics of the fridge are on the web, are there specific details you'd like some pictures of?

Last edited:

C-Fish

Adventurer
Wil at Sierra Expeditions told me to seal up that area (and any others) with silicone.

I haven't done it yet though...

bat

Explorer
If you do silicone it up use something that has mildew resistant silicone that is made for bathrooms or kitchens.

pods8

Explorer
If you do silicone it up use something that has mildew resistant silicone that is made for bathrooms or kitchens.

That is what I was thinking.

Doing a practical run test with it in my camper currently. Friday after work I put (6) 1/2gal jugs of water in it, set it for 32F and plugged it & my camper into 120V to make sure my batteries were topped off and bring it down to temp on 120V (which is what would likely happen before trips anyways). At 10pm I switched it over to 12V and have been taking fridge & ambient temp readings every so often and checking my battery voltage levels. As of this morning my batteries, (2) 210ah 6V deep cycle agms, were sitting at 12.74V after close to 36hrs. Day temps were in the 80s and nights in the 60s. I'll keep logging numbers for a few days till I run down in the 12.0 range just to see what kind of run time I can get on things (granted it's just the fridge alone drawing currently). But only going down to 12.0V means I'm still in the 40% charge range.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Yup, silicone, I did mine too. You should be SUPER happy with your choice. I've had mine over two years and have had it plugged into some form of power the entire time. It's been banged around plenty and I LOVE IT.. no issues. Best piece of equipment ever.

pods8

Explorer
Yup, silicone, I did mine too. You should be SUPER happy with your choice. I've had mine over two years and have had it plugged into some form of power the entire time. It's been banged around plenty and I LOVE IT.. no issues. Best piece of equipment ever.

I am, I like I like the features/design of this one more than it's same caliber competitors and I felt it a no brainier to pony up the extra money verse the edgestar for a fridge with nicer features/fit finish (in my mind), doesn't commonly have wiring issues the purchaser has to correct, pulls less amps, and has a 3year warranty from the factory. Might as well pay the money for something good once to have confidence/enjoyment from it.

kingpin748

For the amount ARB charges for their fridges I think that pretty shoddy workmanship. The Waeco I got was less expensive and doesn't have big gaps in the lining.

pods8

Explorer
For the amount ARB charges for their fridges I think that pretty shoddy workmanship. The Waeco I got was less expensive and doesn't have big gaps in the lining.

To me shoddy workmanship is inconsistent assembly or designs that don't work. I wouldn't say shoddy workmanship about an intended part of the design based on the refrigerant lines. Personally I think it would have been nice if it was filled in but if the manufacturer isn't having issues with it you can't fault them for not sealing it up either.

I'll say there is some room for improvement there though, just wouldn't say it's shoddy.

As for the cost thing, I paid $699 for a brand new ARB with a 3 year warranty and for a style that I like the best in terms of size/handles/controls/lid/etc. That doesn't see to exorbitant to me when edgestars run $400-500 and routinely have what I'd legitimately call shoddy workmanship (bad wiring connections, etc.) and a 90day labor/1yr parts warranty.

Just my thoughts/preferences.

kingpin748

To me shoddy workmanship is inconsistent assembly or designs that don't work. I wouldn't say shoddy workmanship about an intended part of the design based on the refrigerant lines. Personally I think it would have been nice if it was filled in but if the manufacturer isn't having issues with it you can't fault them for not sealing it up either.

I'll say there is some room for improvement there though, just wouldn't say it's shoddy.

As for the cost thing, I paid $699 for a brand new ARB with a 3 year warranty and for a style that I like the best in terms of size/handles/controls/lid/etc. That doesn't see to exorbitant to me when edgestars run $400-500 and routinely have what I'd legitimately call shoddy workmanship (bad wiring connections, etc.) and a 90day labor/1yr parts warranty.

Just my thoughts/preferences.

I don't have anything like that on my less expensive Waeco and I honestly considered the ARB to be a better fridge. I could drop the shoddy workmanship based on what you say but then I'd have to go with shoddy design.

I'm just surprised I guess.

pods8

Explorer
I don't have anything like that on my less expensive Waeco and I honestly considered the ARB to be a better fridge. I could drop the shoddy workmanship based on what you say but then I'd have to go with shoddy design.

I'm just surprised I guess.

Definitely some room for improvement from a consumer prospective, but in the end if the manufacturer isn't having issues with it then it's hard to complain. Doesn't really bother me now that I've gotten confirmation and a swipe of silicon ends to issue to me completely.

On a positive note, as mentioned the fridge has been running in my camper since Friday at 10pm, 80hrs later my batteries are reading 12.6V. :coffeedrink:

kingpin748

On a positive note, as mentioned the fridge has been running in my camper since Friday at 10pm, 80hrs later my batteries are reading 12.6V. :coffeedrink:

ARB makes some good products. Sorry to thread crap on your new purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears