Quick question... is this a bad idea?

Basil.

Hey everyone quick question,

I want to carry a few surfboards on my roof rack, only thing is that I already have a RTT up there. I was thinking about getting some long crossbars and offsetting the RTT over one side, probably about a foot, then the surfboards could be over the other side. My roof rack can handle the load fine, flat Baja rack on my FJ cruiser.

The only thing I'm worried about is the roof load being shifted to one side, do you think that would cause anything weird to happen, I just haven't seen anyone do it before.

Heres a photo of the rack,

_DSC3930 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

Yes that is a shooting star, while I kiss my girlfriend, under the stars :)
_DSC4730 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

First off, ************ Fj! My buddy has almost the same setup on his Jk. He has a stand up paddle board, I think that's what it's called. I don't have a picture of his setup but he has brackets like that are in the picture I attached. He has them attached to the roof rack. The way he has it mounted, you can still open the passenger side doors, which is the side the board is mounted to. It's an idea for you to think about too. uploadfromtaptalk1441753044019.jpg

sent from inside my Wj

Basil.

First off, ************ Fj! My buddy has almost the same setup on his Jk. He has a stand up paddle board, I think that's what it's called. I don't have a picture of his setup but he has brackets like that are in the picture I attached. He has them attached to the roof rack. The way he has it mounted, you can still open the passenger side doors, which is the side the board is mounted to. It's an idea for you to think about too. View attachment 302997

sent from inside my Wj

I would have to look online and check how far they hang below the rack, I think I only have 3-4 inches above my doors. Thanks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to look online and check how far they hang below the rack, I think I only have 3-4 inches above my doors. Thanks though!

You might be able to get away with mounting it twards the rear? Might not get the rear door open but still the front. I don't know how long of a board you have either.

sent from inside my Wj

Basil.

You might be able to get away with mounting it twards the rear? Might not get the rear door open but still the front. I don't know how long of a board you have either.

sent from inside my Wj

I've got a 9' 10' and a 5'11", all need to be stacked I'm not sure if all of them would fit.

kevinrx7

Observer
Get 2 "Big Boy " pool noodles, cut both in half. Place 2 on either side of the tent ladder, stack your boards on top and ratchet strap them down. I've carried 2 paddle boards like this dozens of times for hundreds of miles, at speeds up to 75 mph and also rough roads that required 4x4. Cheap solution that has given me zero issues. The foam and tent will both compress some so I will stop and check the strap tension occasionally. That being said I also have my tent mounted more to the passenger side so I can get full use of the annex, doesn't seem to affect the handling.

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

Basil.

Get 2 "Big Boy " pool noodles, cut both in half. Place 2 on either side of the tent ladder, stack your boards on top and ratchet strap them down. I've carried 2 paddle boards like this dozens of times for hundreds of miles, at speeds up to 75 mph and also rough roads that required 4x4. Cheap solution that has given me zero issues. The foam and tent will both compress some so I will stop and check the strap tension occasionally. That being said I also have my tent mounted more to the passenger side so I can get full use of the annex, doesn't seem to affect the handling.

I think I'm going to mount them on the side, having it like that will make me look pretty stupid, I'm also driving across the country back to San Diego, from New York and am bringing my boards with me, I would like it if I dindt have to remove them every night to open the RTT.

On a side note I'm heading up to maine on Monday for a 4 day adventure with my girlfriend, we are going to Acaida and Fundy in Canada, thats about our only destinations so far, if you have and recommendations let me know! we will be camping.

millerfish

Adventurer
I would fab up something that was taller than the RTT, mount front and aft of the RTT and carry them up top. I think that would look less odd than having them on the side. Another option would be raise the RTT 6"-8" on crossbars and slide the board under between the RTT and rack. You would however sacrifice CG with that option.

Off topic but If you're driving through Pennsylvania, you should hit up Rausch Creek off road park. They have some really nice trails.

sent from inside my Wj

kevinrx7

Observer
You could eat up all 4 days just exploring Acadia. Drive the park loop road and make your way to the top of Cadillac mountain. That will take a day of you stop and explore the high lights off the park. Tons of hiking and biking options. Mount Desert campground is the best in the area, just my opinion. Wooded sites with some privacy from each other, most with an ocean view.

Basil.

I would fab up something that was taller than the RTT, mount front and aft of the RTT and carry them up top. I think that would look less odd than having them on the side. Another option would be raise the RTT 6"-8" on crossbars and slide the board under between the RTT and rack. You would however sacrifice CG with that option.

I would go that route, but I don't want to pull them off every night so that I can open up my RTT and sleep.

Off topic but If you're driving through Pennsylvania, you should hit up Rausch Creek off road park. They have some really nice trails.

sent from inside my Wj

Ive been there once, It was really fun, ran rock creek, thats a sweet trail.

You could eat up all 4 days just exploring Acadia. Drive the park loop road and make your way to the top of Cadillac mountain. That will take a day of you stop and explore the high lights off the park. Tons of hiking and biking options. Mount Desert campground is the best in the area, just my opinion. Wooded sites with some privacy from each other, most with an ocean view.

Thanks for the advice! are there any dispersed camping spots around Acaida, hopefully with a ocean view?

kevinrx7

Observer
I don't know of any dispersed camping any where along the coast of Maine. It is all either commercial or private. You have to go to very remote inland areas for that type of camping.

Basil.

All finished... I should be able to fit my kayak up there also.

9ed9e939b4cf0db0f75f77736886eee8.jpg

lugueto

Adventurer
Im sorry, but that definitely looks like a bad idea.

You're not gonna roll over because of it, but that's obviously a weight bias to one side. Also, that overhang probably isnt good for the tent. Does it open to the DS or PS?

I insist, I've seen people strap a ton of things on top of RTT's, from something as simple as a camping chair to downright dangerous items such as an inflatable dinghie. Why not strap just the board(s) to the tent itself?? It can take the weight, those things are lightweight, and can be strapped using the same ratchet straps you're using now....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12