quick question (:

StillBlue22

Drummer Extraordinaire
I am buying the parts to do some engine work (upper engine gasket set, water pump, timing belt, plugs, wires, various seals, valve stem seals)

one of my issues is replacing lash adjusters.
i don't really have any ticking noises when she's warm. but i have run low from an engine oil leak quite often.
is this something i should do while i'm in there? its only 30 something bucks for 6 new ones.
seems like it may be a good idea?
suggestions?

Eric M

Adventurer
Where are you finding lash adjusters that cheap? I don't think I would want them. Unless a lash adjuster is physically damaged, I really can't see why you'd replace them.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Running low on engine oil shouldn't have any consequences on your lash adjusters. What will have an impact years of accumulation of particles from the combustion process. They tend to clog the interior of the lash adjusters and eventually make it so they no longer travel and spring back to the closed positions causing the fluid inside to completely leak out. That makes a gap because it is constantly "compressed". That gap is what results in the ticking noise. You could replace them and it may be a good idea to have a couple handy in case you need to replace a few. But servicing them should be more than sufficient. Just make sure they are fully lubed and free of debris. Have you seen my thread on how to service them?

1989 V6 - Servicing your Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

StillBlue22

Drummer Extraordinaire
Jay, man you are such a big help thank you.
I'm edging on 200k i'll just put new ones in and save the old ones in case i have issues in the future.
Do i just lube them up with engine oil?

also i've been wanting to know what kind of socket do i need to get my head bolts off? and are there any tools i can buy that will help with what i am doing i.e. timing belt removal and camshaft seals?

StillBlue22

Drummer Extraordinaire
Where are you finding lash adjusters that cheap? I don't think I would want them. Unless a lash adjuster is physically damaged, I really can't see why you'd replace them.

RockAuto has them and they don't cost much at all, i have a lot of miles and considering i've read about some guys taking their engines apart and having those lash adjusters fall apart i was thinking it might be good preventative maintenance. Guess i'll find out when i get there haha

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Jay, man you are such a big help thank you.
I'm edging on 200k i'll just put new ones in and save the old ones in case i have issues in the future.
Do i just lube them up with engine oil?

Thanks for the compliment Blue, I appreciate it.

Getting new ones is a good idea.

I would suggest filling the new lash adjusters with Kerosene, it's is less viscous and should be easier to fill. But sure, you can use regular engine oil. Just make sure test to see if they compress. The more viscous engine oil may trap air inside but make you "think" it's full.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger