Quigley Ambulance mini-build... Quambulander????

kcernest

Observer
I've been lurking here for a couple years, drooling and waiting for the right vehicle to show up so I could hang out with the cool kids in the woods and at the beach. Finally had the opportunity to purchase what I think should last me a long time and keep me happy.

It's a 1993 E350 lwb Quigley type II ambulance with the 7.3 IDI non turbo. Had only 63,000 on it when I flew down to Texas to buy it and drove it back to NC with no problems.

It was a full AEV build out with everything left on it. I naturally went on a destruction binge to the tune of ripping so much out in a mad fury that the truck then refused to start. Oh well, got some help chasing that down and got her all fixed. The only things I saved were the outside flood lights, shore power connection and high idle controller.

I'll get some pictures up tonight hopefully. I've been putting the insulation in the last couple days and just about have that wrapped up. I'll give some details of the route I went when I post the pics.

Abitibi

Explorer
Welcome, Congrats and great to see another Ambu build!

For sure, pictures is what will get our attention! ;)

Cheers
Mr. D

kcernest

Observer
How did the IDI treat you for fuel economy?

17mpg all highway driving. Hoping fluid and filter changes along with taking off the light bar and new tires may help a little. Already has 3.54s out back so not much else to do about it as far as I know. Taking a trip to Maryland this weekend so I'll report back with some new numbers.

rockbender

Adventurer
17 mpg - nice! I'm sure the 3.54's help quite a bit in that regard. Make sure to check your SCA's (coolant additive to prevent block worm/cavitation) and you'll have a pretty darn bulletproof motor for a long time!

kcernest

Observer
17 mpg - nice! I'm sure the 3.54's help quite a bit in that regard. Make sure to check your SCA's (coolant additive to prevent block worm/cavitation) and you'll have a pretty darn bulletproof motor for a long time!

Ya, I suppose it does well enough, for some reason I just see 20mpg as some magical white buffalo that I must try to ride.
As far as the cavitation issue on these IDIs, getting the coolant flushed was the first thing I did. Also plan on adding a coolant filter so I can have constant additions of sca.

kcernest

Observer
Maryland? I live here and would still drive through!
Safe travels and look forward to pictures.

Hey, I don't want to go either, but my other half insists we go see her family. Hence the offroad escape vehicle in case neccessary.:smiley_drive:

kcernest

Observer
Thanks for the prod, I've done a few things and am going on a tear on this thing this weekend so I'll throw up a bunch of pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears