Quigley Death Wobble - Update

deserteagle56

Adventurer
About a month ago I received a redesigned track bar and steering dampner from Quigley because my '07, after it had 31,000 miles on it, started having serious death wobble problems. The redesigned track bar looked exactly like the old one - except that instead of having thick rubber bushings in the ends, it looks more like a heim joint with no rubber in it at all. There is a very thin layer of what appears to be some kind of carbon or plastic around the ball in the joint, whether for lubrication or to prevent metal-to-metal contact I don't know. Installation was very straightforward - I put the van up on stands, unbolted the old track bar and bolted in the new one. The other change was the steering dampner. Originally my Quigley came from the factory came with two steering dampners. Per the instructions with the new dampner, I removed the upper dampner altogether, including it's mount to the frame. I replaced the lower dampner with the new one supplied by Quigley. This new dampner, by the way, has a Ford part number stamped on it - 8C34-3E651-DB. The new Quigley track bar has a part number of QTB-E-0702.

When I talked to Quigley about the death wobble problem (and boy, do they get upset when you call it death wobble!) I asked about alignment on the front end. The build sheet on the unit shows alignment was done to meet specs of a 2001-02 F350, which of course is leaf-sprung and not coil. I know that Ford issued a service bulletin (TSB 07-10-10, Steering Wheel Oscillation) to alter alignment specs when they started having death wobble issues on the coil-sprung Superduties and so I thought this might be contributing to the problem. Quigley told me no, just leave the alignment as is.

I just completed an 1800 mile trip into the Utah back country and I have to report that the new track bar and steering dampner worked wonders. Before, on any rough road surface it felt as though wobble was imminent at any time and the steering wheel seemed to move with every road imperfection. No more. It is rock-solid and steady, with no hint of wobble no matter how rough the road. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix but for now I am a happy camper. Can't believe the difference a couple rubber bushings made! No photos - I never even thought about it until the job was done so my apologies for that oversight.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Very interesting. My 08 feels just as you described. You can "feel" every road imperfection.

Look up under your front end and if you've got the setup with the two steering stabilizers you might want to contact Quigley and get the new, updated setup. It sure made a difference in my van.

arz

Adventurer
does this go back to earlier models? I've got an 03 and while I've only had death wobble once, at about 25 mph, I need to go through the front end pretty completely. might as well do it all the right way.

rebar

Adventurer
Is this death wobble typical for quigley's? Certain years?

Im looking at a 2004 E350 wondering if it may need additional work to cure a known potentially dangerous issue.

Or is this death wobble isolated to a small percentage of quigleys/pathfinders/home made's?

Thanks

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
are quigley's cross steer? I know in jeeps that are cross steer, the death wobble has been proven to be caused high road force imbalance in the tires..

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
Having a lot of experience with death wobble, I can tell you that a steering stabilizer will only mask the underlying cause. DW is usually caused by bad trackbar/panhard bushings but I've also seen improperly balanced tires, crappy tie rod ends, or other suspension components. If you are running a solid front axle with any amount of lift, I would recommend aligning the toe just a tad bit inward and rotate the tires a little more liberally.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Just an update. One year and ~ 7000 miles later the new track bar has proven its worth. A lot of those miles have been over dirt roads, pounding the suspension and undercarriage of the van and so far everything is very tight. No wobble nor does it feel as though it might want to start. We'll see what happens as the miles add up.

rebar

Adventurer
Sure would be nice if the Q-folks stepped up with some details.

Yes it sure would. I'm Now looking at a 07 like the OP's and wondering if it has the updated track bar. Guessing not..

This Quigley DW issue and the 6.0 turbo issues are making me reevaluate this van.

Just an update. One year and ~ 7000 miles later the new track bar has proven its worth. A lot of those miles have been over dirt roads, pounding the suspension and undercarriage of the van and so far everything is very tight. No wobble nor does it feel as though it might want to start. We'll see what happens as the miles add up.

Good to hear.. Which engine in yours again?

kcernest

Observer
Anyone know if this is an issue with all Quigleys? Inherent to the design I suppose?

I bought a 93 e350 with just 65k on it and haven't had any issues as described here yet. I'm just worried it's a matter of time and bound to show up at some point.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
It's more of an issue when you start putting bigger lifts on the coil spring front suspension. It's not Quigley specific. Jeeps can get death wobble too when the suspension geometry gets all whacky. Usually, it can be attributed to a poorly installed track bar, but it can also be very hard to diagnose.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Yes it sure would. I'm Now looking at a 07 like the OP's and wondering if it has the updated track bar. Guessing not..

This Quigley DW issue and the 6.0 turbo issues are making me reevaluate this van.

Good to hear.. Which engine in yours again?

V-10; with 4.56 gears and 285/75/17 tires. A sweet machine in every aspect except for fuel mileage!
P10300181024x768_zpsfe1968f8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears