Quigley Duramax Sportsmobiles

Randall Dee

Huge Member
I've seen a few of these come up for sale recently and have become intrigued with them. There's currently one on the market that looks pretty nice. I've always heard great things about the Duramax. They seem to get good fuel economy and the older ones are pre DEF. With the fuel economy people say that they get, it looks like they would have pretty good range. I seem to recall that they weren't available with the Allison transmission? So I'm wondering if the transmission they get is up to the task of the torque. But I think I'm most curious about the front suspension. I remember in the past that folks never seemed to be too thrilled with the ride of the straight axle Ford Quigleys but that they seemed to be better after the RIP kits were installed. But what about the GM Quigleys with the IFS? Anyone here have any experience or knowledge about them? If you've owned one did you like the ride and performance of the IFS? Any known issues with them?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
No, the Allison was not available in the vans. If I remember correctly, it was just too big to fit. As far as the suspension, everything I've read from people who owned them is that it works very well. Much better than the straight-axle Ford conversions as far as highway driving. Never have to worry about death wobble!

But the GM Quigley conversions don't have anywhere near the ground clearance as the Ford conversions, if that matters to you. It did matter to me, and I still manage to drag the heck out of my rear bumper crossing deep ditches (2007 E350).

Randall Dee

Huge Member
No, the Allison was not available in the vans. If I remember correctly, it was just too big to fit. As far as the suspension, everything I've read from people who owned them is that it works very well. Much better than the straight-axle Ford conversions as far as highway driving. Never have to worry about death wobble!

But the GM Quigley conversions don't have anywhere near the ground clearance as the Ford conversions, if that matters to you. It did matter to me, and I still manage to drag the heck out of my rear bumper crossing deep ditches (2007 E350).
Thanks. I went from an Econoline with a AOR 4x4 conversion to an AWD Transit. So, I'm pretty familiar with poor ground clearance now. I actually prefer a lower ground clearance 4x4, so with regard to that I think I would be okay. I swear I thought I read recently that someone posted that their GM/Duramax van had an Allison tranny. Maybe it was a DIY mod. I did read a comment over on the Sportsmobile forum from a guy who said that he had owned both a 7.3 4x4 Econonline and a Duramax GM Quigley and much preferred to drive the Duramax. I think it had to do with it being a lot quieter plus just driving nicer.

marret

I did read a comment over on the Sportsmobile forum from a guy who said that he had owned both a 7.3 4x4 Econonline and a Duramax GM Quigley and much preferred to drive the Duramax. I think it had to do with it being a lot quieter plus just driving nicer.

paging @whith

I have a GMC Quigley and think it rides well on pavement and not so well off road, need to deflate. Mine is lifted too 4-5” by Weldtec. I will say it is better after the lift. I haven’t owned an Econoline though.

86scotty

Cynic
paging @whith

I have a GMC Quigley and think it rides well on pavement and not so well off road, need to deflate. Mine is lifted too 4-5” by Weldtec. I will say it is better after the lift. I haven’t owned an Econoline though.

You aren't missing anything. Econolines ride much rougher.

Whit has had both and currently drives a Duramax van. He probably has some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whith

GM Duramax vans get the 6L90 transmission, or at least started to once they went away from the 4L80 which was I think around the time they went to the newer LML based LGH engine code. The downside of this is yes, that motor then got more emissions equipment added to it so you could look and see if there was a period of time where you could get the 6L90 and the older engine code without the DPF etc. I have around 135K on my van and often carry loads and do some decent towing at times and the 6l90 has been great. I've flushed it once I think...maybe twice but just for general maintenance but done nothing else to it. I do have a mild tune in my van as well and not always a very light foot...its gets worked and has been flawless.

The Duramax engine is, in my opinion, the best engine you can put in one of these depending of course on how much you're willing to pay for it. At least at this point anyway as the 7.3s are getting pretty old. Its very quiet, like as quiet as you can imagine a large displacement diesel being sat right next to your leg. In fact I'd go so far as to say its more quiet than the gas GM vans I've driven and ridden in. Fuel efficiency is solid and is likely as good as you're going to do in a full sized van particularly if you put bigger tires etc on it. I get around 15 running 70 mph with 33" tires and roof rack. Thats regardless of how much weight I have in it. Driving around town all day it never does worse that 13. You'd got to figure that with the cost of diesel (which is cheaper now at least here than gas) and more expensive oil changes. I'm obviously a fan....if you can square the cost its a fantastic engine.

Ride quality in the IFS is so much better than the solid front ends in all the other conversions I can't even begin to tell you. I daily drive mine and its as smooth as any full size vehicle getting around town and on freeways over joints etc. I've had no issues with mine failing or causing problems. I've had to change the ball joints and the CV axles but only at a rate I consider regular maintence. Yes, the front won't articulate as much as a solid front axle but I'd actually argue there is more ground clearance up front. Driving washboards and forest roads etc. is a much improved experience over a sold axle. Ok...there's my two cents which ended up being more like two dollars...sorry for rambling.

Randall Dee

Huge Member
Yeah, thanks so much Whit for sharing your experience with it. There's been a 2008 listed for sale on here and the main Sportsmobile site for the last month or so that looks like a pretty nice rig and I was curious about it. The fuel economy and the added range is pretty attractive and I'm a fan of IFS.

whith

Of course! RandallDee, my brother in law may be selling his. If you’re looking PM me and I can put you in touch with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears