R51 payload drop in 2010+

MFurey

I was considering SUVs for a vehicle I could camp in, and tour around moderate off road trails. The IFS/RFS of the R51 intrigues me for the relatively comfortable drives. I also saw that the 2008 model had a fairly high payload (close to 1500lbs). However, based on what I've been reading, one should go with a 2010+ model for less issues with coolant leaking into the transmission. But, I noticed that starting in 2010 the payload only approaches 1100 lbs. I thought that this was strange since the GVWR-curb weight was still close to 1500. Does anybody have any insight on why the payload decreased? I'm wondering if it was just the springs, and with heavier duty springs, 1500lbs payload would be reasonable.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
No mod will change the payload listed on the doorjamb.
Suspension and tire changes may help it cope with weight better. But it will not change the payload rating.

MFurey

No mod will change the payload listed on the doorjamb.
Suspension and tire changes may help it cope with weight better. But it will not change the payload rating.
Yeah, I understand that. I just think its strange to see the drop to a # that is significantly lower than the difference between the curb weight and the GVWR. It makes me question if one of these numbers were wrong, or if you are still safe to actually be at the GVWR.

llamalander

Assuming the engine is the same as the frontier, (vdq40) the coolant issue can be avoided by either bypassing the transmission fluid loop through the radiator or doing so and adding a transmission cooler. The test to see if the cross-contamination has happened is by checking for hydrocarbons in the coolant, which is not difficult to do pre-purchase. So find a 2008-9, test it & pack it full!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah, I understand that. I just think its strange to see the drop to a # that is significantly lower than the difference between the curb weight and the GVWR. It makes me question if one of these numbers were wrong, or if you are still safe to actually be at the GVWR.
Personally I don't feel safe being loaded right to GVWR in any vehicle. But, that's just me.
Good luck in your search for info. Glad to see you're doing the research. Lots of people just load until it's full then go.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Whenever I try to answer questions like this, I just start browsing through the RockAuto catalog to see what part numbers crossover across the year breaks. Sometimes, the answer becomes evident (IE change in brake caliper/pad/rotor part numbers, CV axle part numbers etc). It's obviously not an exact science, but it might help answer your question about some of the other parts you are concerned about. Of course, the change in rating could even be down to the manufacturer deciding to increase the safety margin. Legally, the liability doesn't change...if you're overloaded you're overloaded. Tires are a great example of this...lots of <8K GVWR vehicles driving around out there with >12K in 'tire capacity' based on the printed rating on the tires...

MFurey

If your budget permits, why not look at the new Pathfinder?
This was for a budget option. But also, the R51 would be better for my intended use. It's 4WD with low range (current generation is AWD). It can be optioned with a full time 4WD (unfortunately only on the LE). It's also reasonably supported by the aftermarket due to it sharing components with the Frontier. For example, you can buy suspension lifts, and bumpers. Also, its base ground clearance, and approach and departure angles are better.

I also agree with not overloading a vehicle if you can, and plan to stay well below on my next build, however I think this class of Nissan is a bit of an exception. Here is my experience coming from an Xterra:

The Xterra shares the same frame with the Titan (although shortened) which has 2klb+ of payload. This is a great start as it means you don't really have to worry about the frame. I (and many people on thenewx) are way over payload and have not had any issues. The only downsides I have noticed are the brakes (absolute crap once loaded heavy, not much you can do about it), and the spring under axle setup (as opposed to spring over). Basically just means you need a really big leaf pack to handle the weight.

They definitely ironed things out by the older years, but I wouldn't worry about the bad years if you are finding them better priced as its easy to identify the coolant issue (to avoid purchasing the vehicle) and really easy to fix it so it doesn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior