Rack-based camper for F-150

hodogg

I'd love to build out a camper without spending a fortune (gasp!) or losing utility. I'm considering installing a rack then building panels (solid and/or fabric) that could easily attach to the rack as needed to become a shelter. I feel like driving with it on would be one thing but if just when parked it's no risk. Seems too easy to be true so I must be missing something. Thoughts?

chet6.7

Explorer
A rack with canvas that will be deployed when parked? It seems doable to me, it would be a pain in the wind,rain and when tired, however it is affordable. They make fabric rooms that attach to awnings, like this.
ARB 813208A Awning Room Accesory

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Great simple idea.

My first truck camper was three long pieces of rebar bend into a half hoop and stuffed into the stake holes of my pickup truck bed, then covered once at camp with a very heavy, O.D. waxed cotton tarp bungled to the underside of the truck bed (á la an old Conestoga wagon). Kinda like this guy’s .

IMG_0262.jpeg It actually worked out pretty good.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
fKodiak_Canvas_Truck_Bed_Tent__55_to_68_f_5db98cbbb38cb.jpg

Kodiak Canvas.

escadventure

Adventurer
The Kodiak is a nice tent, but I think the OP is looking for something redneck cheap. Seems like cost vs effort - an Amazon knock off of a Napier SportZ tent will be the answer. They're cheap and perform reasonably well.

RJ Howell

My first build was a foamie! XPS foam board, duck cloth (could have been HF drop cloth) and paint. Amazed me how well it worked.

bYG2CfQm.jpg

It was just a topper..

ENVzfSmm.jpg

Throw some storage in there.

zbrIviem.jpg

then the tent extension

Cqaj2eKm.jpg

Can it be done? Hell ya!

My project changed and the truck became this.

qN51Io9m.jpg

Start small and create! I like working as much as I can with XPS foam. My projects (like my current) have gone again beyond, yet only because of what I've learned.

Enjoy and build! Then enjoy again. Improve, then again... It doesn't end!! Have fun with it.

hodogg

I went dark! Thanks for the ideas. I think the a combo of the XPS/duck and the hoops is the right direction, but will probably start with the harbor freight rack. Will post as it happens.

phsycle

Adventurer
Would that be any cheaper than getting a Softopper? They also make extensions that go over the tailgate for use as a tent.

hodogg

I had softoppers on my last two trucks and really liked them. Not completely weatherproof, but easy on and off, lasted a while, and affordable. I like the rack idea because I need a rack anyway and it would be taller inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears