Rack on a Flippac?

Viggen

Just here...
I picked up a Chevy 1500 the other night. Ive been doing a lot of home reno work and needed something for all the trips to the dreaded Home Depot and the dump. Im going to start pulling together stuff for a SAS and to build it into the truck I want it to be. I would love to do something like a Flippac but I am wondering about long things, like wood. I would ordinarily throw one of those Thule bed racks for long things rather than just have things hanging out of the bed. Can the lid of the Flippac handle any weight? We arent talking 30 2x4's worth of weight but more like a ladder or something like that.

billy bee

Adventurer
If you arent using a rack on the FP lid, most of the weight, I think, would be carried by the edges. I have not done it, but I think you'd be OK.

I have thought about mounting Thule feet to the edge of the lid. That could bear considerable weight as the gutters could be screwed into the lid's steel frame, provided it's not too rusty in there.

Bill

4xdog

Explorer
There was a pretty good discussion on exactly this subject about a year or two ago -- input from a number of people worth hunting down if you can find it.

You might try the search terms in Google forcing the search on this site. Try this:
Flippac "roof rack" site:www/expedition portal.com/forum

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears