Rack to replace factory on 4runner

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I friend who is a riverguide is looking for a very rugged rack to replace the factory rack on his 4runner, he needs to carry kayaks through Mongolia.

Any great - non-custom - ideas?

Thanks

Mike

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Mike S said:
I friend who is a riverguide is looking for a very rugged rack to replace the factory rack on his 4runner, he needs to carry kayaks through Mongolia.

Any great - non-custom - ideas?

Thanks

Mike

All a matter of MONEY

African Outback through Slee or an ARB

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
depending on how many kayaks a Thule rack should work fine. Plus if he wants to carry a spare tower for just in case times they are small and easy to stow in a parts bag.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
If he removes the roof rack, are there any after-market racks the will fit using the same mounting holes?

Thanks

M

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
If he removes the factory cross bars and just keeps the stringers, runners, sliding mounting spot, whatever its called he can use Yakima or Thule.
I just got some Thule ones that slide right into the rails.
He can get two cross bars with the mounts and towers for under 200.
If its a "huge" load then going with three cross bars as someone mentioned seems like a good way to be safe. :punk03:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hi Mike,

I took off my factory rails and added these ( http://www.prolineracks.com/proline-roof-end-track-slats.html ) in 72-inch length and use Yakima (4 of the pre-Control Towers) per side. I've got the tent mounted, sometimes, and have a 2-foot "basket" up front for extra storage.

Works pretty well. I was concerned about how secure this setup would be, but at the Trophy last year, nothing shifted during the closed course:smiley_drive:

This has given me the whole roof to work with, versus 2/3rds.

Attached is a pic ...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Nice. Thank you all.

Of course I know about the 'usual' options - Thule and Yakima, etc. I was looking for the beefy total replacement package.

I appreciate all your replies.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Jeff,

If you have some spare time this weekend, would you mind taking some more close-up shots of your aftermarket rails, Yakima towers and the rack? That's a nice set-up and may work out for me too. Thanks.

jeffryscott said:
Hi Mike,

I took off my factory rails and added these ( http://www.prolineracks.com/proline-roof-end-track-slats.html ) in 72-inch length and use Yakima (4 of the pre-Control Towers) per side. I've got the tent mounted, sometimes, and have a 2-foot "basket" up front for extra storage.

Works pretty well. I was concerned about how secure this setup would be, but at the Trophy last year, nothing shifted during the closed course:smiley_drive:

This has given me the whole roof to work with, versus 2/3rds.

Attached is a pic ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle