Rainy days and condensation

draaronr

Adventurer
Do these stay dry when it’s raining? Just zip sides? I had a pop up camper trailer and rain was a pain at the mattress especially And then the humidity and condensation was really bad too I have dodge 3500 Srw for hauling it Looking for feedback or if I should go with a hard side

shade

Keeping a low powered fan going all night can help, as can wiping down the interior, and using anti-condensation mats under mattresses, but it's tough in the wrong conditions.

Cayuse

Observer
We have two people and four dogs in the camper and rarely have issues. One of the fans is a Maxx Air that can run even when closed so that keeps the air moving even if the other fan is just cracked a bit. Also pop up in the driveway when I get home and run the fans and let things air out if I have to drop the top in the rain.

shade

We have two people and four dogs in the camper and rarely have issues. One of the fans is a Maxx Air that can run even when closed so that keeps the air moving even if the other fan is just cracked a bit. Also pop up in the driveway when I get home and run the fans and let things air out if I have to drop the top in the rain.
I think a big factor is the local weather. I've never had a problem keeping condensation and general dampness under control while in the Southwest U.S., but in the Pacific Northwest, the temperature, humidity, and frequent rain make it more of a challenge with any shelter.

john61ct

Adventurer
Effective ventilation is the key.

Not just high CFM in warm ambients, but the ability to regulate it precisely since you have to keep it running in cold ambients, when a heating source is running.

And of course only outside-vented heating sources, burning the fuel inside just adds more moisture, 1.64 pounds of water into the air per gallon of propane used.

Places like the PNW are best just avoided unless you've got a bigger rig and tons of energy available for modern climate control tech.

I haven't had problems in our Hallmark popup, including camping in heavy rain on the Oregon coast in February. I do think inside/outside temp variation has a lot to do with it, similar temps means there's less of a cold surface to condense on. Type of construction has a lot to do with it to (composite vs. alum framed, i.e. thermal bridges) as does the pop up fabric. Of course, not boiling soup for a few hours can make a big difference too. Good ventilation is always key too.

While the PNW is known for it's wet gloomy weather, heavy humidity is not near as much of a problem as it is back east and in the south. Relative humidity is just that, relative. The amount of moisture at 80% rh at 70 degrees is much less than it is at 95 degrees. That warm moist air coming into a cooler space is going to drop that moisture somewhere.

sg1

Adventurer
I had hardside campers with composite foam panels, a pop up camper with uninsulated soft sides and barely insulated aluminum frame (FWC Hawk) and now have a pop up camper with composite foam panels and insulated soft side (Overland Explorer Camp X). We live in Canada and are camping during 3 seasons. We had serious condensation problems in the Hawk because both the soft walls and the panels at the frame (an excellent thermal bridge) were not insulated and cold. Moist air would condense on these cold surfaces. Because of that I sold my Hawk. Insulated camper with foam panels without thermal bridges and insulated soft walls like the Hallmark or my Overland Explorer Camp X (made in Canada for our climate) don´t have that problem. Because of the insulation the walls stay warm and moist air would not cool down and condensate unless you cook spaghetti without ventilation. Condensation issues depend on the quality of the insulation and not on the style of your camper.

Alloy

Do these stay dry when it’s raining? Just zip sides? I had a pop up camper trailer and rain was a pain at the mattress especially And then the humidity and condensation was really bad too I have dodge 3500 Srw for hauling it Looking for feedback or if I should go with a hard side

mkish

Adventurer
It isn't like a popup trailer. Well, the condensation is, but the rain itself isn't a problem. You don't have to try to keep your stuff dry when you pack it up because the tenting is attached, so rain stays outside in the popup TC. We just wipe down the inner walls if necessary. It's not like there is a lot to them.

We also have a popup tent trailer and are familiar with putting it away in the rain without getting the mattresses wet. We have much less condensation in the trailer than in the TC--the Sunbrella tenting breathes more than the vinyl and of course it's at least 3x as large.

(PS: if you're stuck inside due to rain with 4 people and a dog, the XL tent trailer wins. :giggle: But the TC is sure easier for everything else.)

Cayuse

Observer
I think a big factor is the local weather. I've never had a problem keeping condensation and general dampness under control while in the Southwest U.S., but in the Pacific Northwest, the temperature, humidity, and frequent rain make it more of a challenge with any shelter.

I used to live in the PNW (eastern Washington) and even in winter used it for skiing and climbing trips without condensation issues. That was generally 2-3 people no dogs. Now if you get on thee wet side of things it becomes a whole nother bal;l game.

shade

I used to live in the PNW (eastern Washington) and even in winter used it for skiing and climbing trips without condensation issues. That was generally 2-3 people no dogs. Now if you get on thee wet side of things it becomes a whole nother bal;l game.
Sure. I was talking more about the P side of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears