Raise the roof or sell the Van..

Edavies267

Law has been laid down and its time to... 2003 Quigley EB. Either i raise the roof or we sell. The better half can almost stand.. Almost hurts her back. I just scooch. No matter. After contacting CCV, Sportsmobe, Fiberline, blah blah blah.. in my opinion the van is not worth the 7-12k of raising the roof. I've called local junk yards and finding a high top has been a waste of time thus far. So i guess this post is seeking advice. Leaning sell and getting a class b.

WVI

Adventurer
I am looking for a top to transplant.....
Ajnother option I'm thinking about attempting, is to graft a truck camper shell to the top of the van and do some additional fiberglass work to it...

Edavies267

I am looking for a top to transplant.....
Ajnother option I'm thinking about attempting, is to graft a truck camper shell to the top of the van and do some additional fiberglass work to it...
There is a thread in here where a roof top tent was added to an ambo van. Very interesting build and damn fine job.

Edavies267

Given the elevated prices of 4x4 vans, if you're moving to a 2wd class B, then this may be the best time to sell the current rig.
I have 2 more trips in the next 6 months that i have planned and own the right tool for the job... Class B vans have appreciated right along with 4x4 vans. So its a wash... Grrrrrrr.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Financially, it does not make much sense to pay $12k to install a new roof. If it were me, I would try to find an salvaged van with high roof as a donor and then transfer it:

On the other hand, I am pretty sure what your wife wants is a new camper...

iggi

Ian
If the van is otherwise the right rig then I'd go with the raised roof.
Even 10K for a roof is likely less than it you'd lose changing rigs and getting the new one sorted out.
Used ones do come up though.
Don't write off buying a high roof van in rough shape, taking the roof and parting the rest out.
There's at least a couple folks that have gone that route.

I have 2 more trips in the next 6 months that i have planned and own the right tool for the job... Class B vans have appreciated right along with 4x4 vans. So its a wash... Grrrrrrr.

86scotty

Cynic
You can find one a lot closer for a couple hundred bucks, just got to look for them. Salvage yards rarely want anything for these. I have found that most salvage yards with a concentration of shuttle vans will be near a big city that supports.......shuttle vans, like with a decent sized airport, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears