Ram 1500 to get EcoDiesel V6!

I think 30mpg is realistic. I get 25mpg on the open road out of my 2005 GMC Duramax 2500 HD Crew Cab with a 6 speed manual. I think my Duramax could do much better than 25mpg if I added an intake, exhaust and a programmer. This new engine only has 40% of the displacement of my Duramax. It's amazing what they can do these days. A few years ago I was like, they will never meet those CAFE standards, but things are looking up.

haven

Expedition Leader
Today, Ram gave an idea how much the 3.0L diesel will cost. My estimate of the price is $4150. (The 5.7L V8 is a $1300 option, and Ram says the diesel will cost $2850 more than the 5.7L V8.) This makes sense, since diesel is a $4500 option in the Grand Cherokee. It was not clear what trim package (Tradesman, SLT, Laramie, etc) you have to order to get a diesel.

All Ram 1500s get the 8 speed automatic for 2014.

All Ram powertrain options will carry a 5 year, 100,000 mile factory warranty.

Payback

Wannabe
My guess is that if the Hemi is an option, then the diesel will be an option as well. At least I hope that's the case. I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and if I can swing a diesel I'll buy one.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
All Ram 1500s get the 8 speed automatic for 2014.

I don’t believe that is the case Chip. The press release states “TorqueFlite 8, the only eight-speed automatic transmission offered in the half-ton class” meaning GM, Ferd and the other two little guys don’t offer an 8 speed auto in their ½ ton trucks…yet.

The press release goes to say…. “The class-exclusive eight-speed automatic transmission (TorqueFlite 8), standard equipment with 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel and 3.6-liter V-6 Pentastar, doubles the amount of gears compared to the previously available four-speed automatic transmission, which improves drivability and enhances fuel efficiency. The eight-speed also is available with the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8.”

Full press release HERE.

Cute little diesel. Will be interesting to see how it does with reliability and durability. I am anxious to drive one.
2014-Ram-1500+_2_.jpg

I do like the idea RAM is offering a 6’4” bed in the 1500 series crew cab for 2014. It might even look a little better than the stubby short beds.
2014-Ram-1500+_11_.jpg

5’7” bed
2014-Ram-1500+_6_.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
What I really liked about the Ecoboost in the ford was the fact that because of the torque the truck didn't downshift going up hills. I took it up substantial hills and it stayed in 6th gear. If this diesel in the dodge with the 8 speed transmission can do that it may be the way to go.

When I drove the Dodge with the Hemi the other day it was downshifting quite a bit on slight inclines

haven

Expedition Leader
Larry, you're correct. The gas V6 and diesel engines come with the 8 speed automatic standard. The 5.7L gas V8 has the 6 speed automatic standard, 8 speed optional.

huntsonora

Explorer
Just found this...

"The regular 1500's base price with the 3.6-liter V-6 will be $25,295 (including destination); opting for the diesel adds $2850 above the price of a similarly equipped Ram with the 5.7-liter V-8. With the 5.7-liter and the six-speed automatic, the price goes up to $24,605. (Yes, you can get the V-8 for less than the V-6, but without the TorqueFlite automatic.) For the 5.7-liter with the eight-speed, it's $26,945, and the starting price of the diesel is $30,180, but the EcoDiesel isn't offered in short-wheelbase regular cabs. This price is for the regular cab, rear-drive long-wheelbase truck with the eight-foot bed."

Payback

Wannabe
Talked to a dealer today. He wasn't able to nail down any solid numbers since dodge hasn't officially put anything out yet, but it looks like you'd pay 36k - 38k for a barebones tradesman with 4wd. No other options/packages.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Seems like the thing to do is actually wait for the dealers to get them, and then go in and see what sort deal you can make. You may not even like how it drives, so no point worrying about what they " might" cost!

Clutch

<---Pass
Seems like the thing to do is actually wait for the dealers to get them, and then go in and see what sort deal you can make. You may not even like how it drives, so no point worrying about what they " might" cost!

Would at least wait a year, let others do the beta testing... ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
TruckTrend magazine says the cheapest Ram 1500 with Diesel engine will be the regular cab with 8 ft bed, 8 speed auto trans and RWD. Price: $30,180. I'm not sure how much 4x4 adds to the cost just yet.

At least at first, Ram isn't offering the diesel in the reg cab, short bed configuration. That would be a cool alternative to the typical midsize V6 truck and lightweight camper. Let's hope Dodge will offer this configuration in the future.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
No chance at a manual transmission?

Nope, no manual transmission. Heck, the little diesel won't even come with a manual shifted automatic transmission (mechanical shift cable from the shift lever to the transmission selector shaft). The ZF 8-speed is an electric shifted transmission via a rotary dial. This really irks me as, not a single manufacturer can make the electric shifted transfercases to work correctly and reliably and now they are saddling us with electric shift transmissions too :(

Ram-Shifter-2013.jpg

The good news is when the RAM HD trucks get their 8 speed it won't be a ZF. It will be an Aisin shifted via cable :)

huntsonora

Explorer
Nope, no manual transmission. Heck, the little diesel won't even come with a manual shifted automatic transmission (mechanical shift cable from the shift lever to the transmission selector shaft). The ZF 8-speed is an electric shifted transmission via a rotary dial. This really irks me as, not a single manufacturer can make the electric shifted transfercases to work correctly and reliably and now they are saddling us with electric shift transmissions too :(

Ram-Shifter-2013.jpg

The good news is when the RAM HD trucks get their 8 speed it won't be a ZF. It will be an Aisin shifted via cable :)

When I drove that Dodge last week with the 8 speed and the Hemi I HATED that little shifter dial. I like feeling my gears go into place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears