RAM 1500 with the 8 speed tranny?

zuren

Adventurer
I was hoping those who own one of these trucks can chime in with their experience. I'm looking closely at 2014-2015 models.

I'm considering a different vehicle and as I look at lists for 1/2 ton trucks (mostly on Autotrader), I notice there is a subset of these trucks (with the 8 speed tranny) that claim to get 23MPG on the highway. Is this number realistic (running unloaded, maybe just passengers) at a legal and reasonable highway speed (65ish MPH)?

I'm also curious about any maintenance and durability issues? I'm used to a 4 speed 4L60E in my van....8 speeds is a lot to jam in a tranny!

I've been curious about the new 1/2 tons coming out with small diesels, along with the RAM Ecodiesel that has been out since 2014 (??), but I've been spooked by the lawsuit against RAM/Chrysler regarding cheating on emissions and all of the warnings I read about modern diesels with all of the emissions equipment (costs to maintain, reliability issues [Ecodiesels dying], etc.). Maybe it is just the vocal minority that is giving the new diesels a bad name.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
FCA's ecodiesel doesn't have the greatest of reputations, but there are a few on here who drive them (hopefully they can chime in with their experience).

Ford's 3.0l v6 powerstroke just came out, and GM's inline 6 diesel has yet to be released, so there isn't any reliability data on those engines. The 2.8l diesel in the Colorado has been out for a while; it seems to have a decent reputation. Biggest complaint I've heard with regards to that engine is a laggy throttle response, though there is tuning which can address that; some people are satisfied with the stock engine. A lot of the 'complaints' come down to expectation management; most diesels don't have the same pep off the line as do gasoline's, but the diesel's torquey grunt really becomes apparent when you get your foot into the throttle.

Go test drive whatever it is you're considering. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability with most of the current trucks.

Last edited:

Saharafire

The 8spd is an excellent transmission. It’s one of the best in the industry at the moment. Look at a few Ram forums and look at peoples opinions about the 8sp. I have one behind the 5.7 and love to drive it. Always in the right gear and they can get better than 20hwy with the 5.7. The ecodiesels get better than 25 hwy from what I’ve read from others. People either have no complaints about the eco and say it’s the best vehicle they have ever owned or they have had one blow up. You don’t really see anyone in between with that motor.

malibubts

Adventurer
I've been pretty happy with my '15 with the EcoDiesel and the 8 speed. Before a lift and tires I was looking at about 25 MPG average and have dropped that by maybe 2 since. On an all highway trip I could easily hit 27MPG before the lift and tires. So I would say those numbers are pretty in line with what I've seen.

As far as reliability goes on the EcoDiesel there have been a higher than average amount of failures related to low end issues, but we are not talking anywhere near Ford 6.0L level of problems. FCA has played their cards pretty tight to the chest on what the true issue is here, but general concensus is manufacturing/labor issues related to their assembly. There is some theory on oil spec as they did change that along the way, but I don't think moving from Penzoil Euro to Rotella T6 is saving the engines.

To this point the only issue I've had is some rain leakage at the third brake light, which is unfortunately a pretty well known issue in this generation but is easily fixed. I'm at 65K for what it's worth.

Biggest downside to the Ford diesel is you can only get it in the higer trim levels, you are looking at dropping an easy 50K. You can get a Ram diesel in their bottom tier of trucks no problem, I was out the door under 35K new.

The GM 2.8L is actually also a VM Motori design, they make the EcoDieselas an FCA owned subsidiary, but licensed out to GM. They are made in a GM plant, I believe in Thailand, from the VM Motori design. There is a pretty interesting GM / VM Motori / FCA story around ownership and the '08 economic downturn. The EcoDiesel was actually originally designed for the Cadilac CTSV before that all went down and the subsequent ownership shake up. I actually contemplated on wating for this engine to be released, but between being only available on higher trims and having a timing belt I passed.

I wouldn't really be worried about the lawsuit on emissions. This isn't a VW level scandal where they were putting the engine into a derated mode for EPA testing. Before all this went down the manufacturers could self-certify their own engines and programming. Along with this there are provisions for disabling emissions controls to 'save' the engine; ie don't make the engine worry about NOX levels in the winter when it isn't up to temp. The lawsuit here centers around some of these provisions that the EPA doesn't nessecarily agree with. Don't think much, if anything will come of this. Heck even if there would be a buy out I don't it wouldn't work out well for the owners, I have a few friends that owned TDIs and essentially got a free car for a few years.

To the earlier point on pep, I don't think any diesel would be what you are after ig you want great throttle response. There are some tunes out for the EcoDiesel as well. I've heard pretty good things but am holding off until I'm out of warranty at 100K. But if you aren't looking for a speed demon you can hit 700 miles before refueling.

Last edited:

Cyph86

The higher milage of the 5.7 hemi comes from the multi displacement function(under minimal load it only runs 4 cylinders). I know of 2 people close to me that had big problems with the tcm on the 8 speed but both were covered under warranty at the time. Hasnt recurred. As for me personally i just dont like the feel of any more than 6 gears. It seems to shift too much for my liking. I dont have much experience with the ram on this account. Hope this helps. Also stalk forums like a mad man on the model you like. 2015 is old enough for people to talk about major problems if you look for them. Good luck!

Dalko43

Explorer
I've been pretty happy with my '15 with the EcoDiesel and the 8 speed. Before a lift and tires I was looking at about 25 MPG average and have dropped that by maybe 2 since. On an all highway trip I could easily hit 27MPG before the lift and tires. So I would say those numbers are pretty in line with what I've seen.

As far as reliability goes on the EcoDiesel there have been a higher than average amount of failures related to low end issues, but we are not talking anywhere near Ford 6.0L level of problems. FCA has played their cards pretty tight to the chest on what the true issue is here, but general concensus is manufacturing/labor issues related to their assembly. There is some theory on oil spec as they did change that along the way, but I don't think moving from Penzoil Euro to Rotella T6 is saving the engines.

To this point the only issue I've had is some rain leakage at the third brake light, which is unfortunately a pretty well known issue in this generation but is easily fixed. I'm at 65K for what it's worth.

Biggest downside to the Ford diesel is you can only get it in the higer trim levels, you are looking at dropping an easy 50K. You can get a Ram diesel in their bottom tier of trucks no problem, I was out the door under 35K new.

The GM 2.8L is actually also a VM Motori design, they make the EcoDieselas an FCA owned subsidiary, but licensed out to GM. They are made in a GM plant, I believe in Thailand, from the VM Motori design. There is a pretty interesting GM / VM Motori / FCA story around ownership and the '08 economic downturn. The EcoDiesel was actually originally designed for the Cadilac CTSV before that all went down and the subsequent ownership shake up. I actually contemplated on wating for this engine to be released, but between being only available on higher trims and having a timing belt I passed.

I wouldn't really be worried about the lawsuit on emissions. This isn't a VW level scandal where they were putting the engine into a derated mode for EPA testing. Before all this went down the manufacturers could self-certify their own engines and programming. Along with this there are provisions for disabling emissions controls to 'save' the engine; ie don't make the engine worry about NOX levels in the winter when it isn't up to temp. The lawsuit here centers around some of these provisions that the EPA doesn't nessecarily agree with. Don't think much, if anything will come of this. Heck even if there would be a buy out I don't it wouldn't work out well for the owners, I have a few friends that owned TDIs and essentially got a free car for a few years.

To the earlier point on pep, I don't think any diesel would be what you are after ig you want great throttle response. There are some tunes out for the EcoDiesel as well. I've heard pretty good things but am holding off until I'm out of warranty at 100K. But if you aren't looking for a speed demon you can hit 700 miles before refueling.

Awesome feedback! I'm really glad that FCA was the first to bring a 1/2 ton diesel to the market, as it seems that decision has motivated other OEM's to follow suit. I really hope FCA continues to improve upon the 3.0l ecodiesel; even if it has had some problems, it's a promising design that offers a very good compromise between working capability and efficiency.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the 2.8l "Duramax's" true origins as VM Motori design. Not a lot of people know that. And honestly, I don't think there is any reason to be ashamed of that; that 2.8l inline 4 diesel has a pretty extensive service history, in North America and throughout the world.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
FCA's ecodiesel doesn't have the greatest of reputations, but there are a few on here who drive them (hopefully they can chime in with their experience).

Ford's 3.0l v6 powerstroke just came out, and GM's inline 6 diesel has yet to be released, so there isn't any reliability data on those engines. The 2.8l diesel in the Colorado has been out for a while; it seems to have a decent reputation. Biggest complaint I've heard with regards to that engine is a laggy throttle response, though there is tuning which can address that; some people are satisfied with the stock engine. A lot of the 'complaints' come down to expectation management; most diesels don't have the same pep off the line as do gasoline's, but the diesel's torquey grunt really becomes apparent when you get your foot into the throttle.

Go test drive whatever it is you're considering. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability with most of the current trucks.

the Ford 3.0L Diesel is code named Lion and has been out in production for years now with Land Rover in Europe. Its proven to be extremely reliable

malibubts

Adventurer
Awesome feedback! I'm really glad that FCA was the first to bring a 1/2 ton diesel to the market, as it seems that decision has motivated other OEM's to follow suit. I really hope FCA continues to improve upon the 3.0l ecodiesel; even if it has had some problems, it's a promising design that offers a very good compromise between working capability and efficiency.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the 2.8l "Duramax's" true origins as VM Motori design. Not a lot of people know that. And honestly, I don't think there is any reason to be ashamed of that; that 2.8l inline 4 diesel has a pretty extensive service history, in North America and throughout the world.

the Ford 3.0L Diesel is code named Lion and has been out in production for years now with Land Rover in Europe. Its proven to be extremely reliable

Yeah, none of these engines are new if you look into their history.

The VM Motori have had a ton of marine service and also land service in Europe. Then the GM 2.8L is also the VM Motori design from their times of ownership.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...y-gms-share-of-vm-motori-diesel-joint-venture
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/fiat-chrysler-3-0l-diesel-v6-is-actually-a-gm-engine/
https://idpartsblog.com/2018/06/08/...a-cousin-of-the-jeep-crd-2-8l-from-vm-motori/

As marshal said the Ford is their Lion that has been out for a while.

The Cummins V8 in the Nissan Titan was said to originally be put in the Ram 1500s. But then FCA took full ownership of VM Motori and were able to use the 3.0L, which is arguably a better 1/2 ton engine. Cummins then had an engine sitting on the shelf and needed a buyer.

The only engine which may actually be a new design is the GM I4 that is supposed to be coming out soon, I haven't seen much of anything on this yet.

Hnoroian

Observer
I have a '14 1500 4x4 CC, 5.7, 8speed, 3.21 with towing, 285/70/17 AT. I live in the Southern California valley, Bakersfield to be exact. Mostly flat except when we head out of town it's mostly over a mountain, or up north to Monterey or the Bay Area. Heading north on the 99 or i5 with cruise at 65, I can get 20-22mpg. Heading to the beach, LA or more southern or the desert it drops to 18-20 while Traveling light with the wife and kid. Each 7-10 mph over 65 drops the mpg by an easy 2. In town I get 12-13, 14-15 if I am super light and lucky. Towing 6.5k I average 10mpg. Calculations made by hand not EVIC which shows 1.5 or more mpg, range to empty is petty spot on though. I do absolutely love the truck.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Yeah, none of these engines are new if you look into their history.

The VM Motori have had a ton of marine service and also land service in Europe. Then the GM 2.8L is also the VM Motori design from their times of ownership.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...y-gms-share-of-vm-motori-diesel-joint-venture
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/07/fiat-chrysler-3-0l-diesel-v6-is-actually-a-gm-engine/
https://idpartsblog.com/2018/06/08/...a-cousin-of-the-jeep-crd-2-8l-from-vm-motori/

As marshal said the Ford is their Lion that has been out for a while.

The Cummins V8 in the Nissan Titan was said to originally be put in the Ram 1500s. But then FCA took full ownership of VM Motori and were able to use the 3.0L, which is arguably a better 1/2 ton engine. Cummins then had an engine sitting on the shelf and needed a buyer.

The only engine which may actually be a new design is the GM I4 that is supposed to be coming out soon, I haven't seen much of anything on this yet.

its actually an inline six

Laps

I have a 2017 Ram Rebel that has 3.92 rear and gets 18.5 mixed (city/highway) driving, currently 10,000 miles on it. I spent 2 weeks in Utah this past summer and I had no difficulty going anywhere offroad, and exploring the canyons and mountains. I'm not a rock crawler though. Previously had a 2012 Ram 3500 and a 2001 Ram 2500. While I love the diesels, repairs can be very costly and then there is the fuel cost to consider also.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have the 8 speed ZF in my 2014 Ram 1500 Crew. I have the 5.7L Hemi gasser in my truck, and pared with the 3.92 rear diff it is a stellar combo. At first I was a little unsure of the 8 gears, and it took a few months to get used to the amount of shifting it does. Now, I don't even notice it and I know how to drive it to get the most out of it. On the highway for long trips it gets very good mileage, far better than my 05 Jeep WK with the same motor. Less gears, less HP and 3.73 instead... great combo but still worse mileage.

To date, the transmission has been fantastic, no issues or worries at all. Actually for the most part the whole truck has been great. A couple of little things, but nothing scary. I was looking at the 3.0L Ecodiesel as well, but couldn't justify a new truck and this lightly used one was the right price. I have a friend who has 2 of them. Both are work trucks, and are used a LOT on the highway and for towing a pretty large boat. Both have been perfect and one has almost 100,000 KM (60K) on it of towing and hauling gear.

I think the Eccodiesel is a solid motor, and it should work fantastic mated to that 8 speed with the right gearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears