Ram 2500 diesel with FWC - any concerns with payload capacity?

IPA

Observer
So I'm in the market for a new truck, largely to put a FWC (or similar) pop-up on for trips out west. I'm looking at diesel Rams, but the 2500 shortbed Ram with the Cummins only has about a 2400# payload capacity.

A FWC Hawk is 895# base weight; that can easily go up to 1200# just by adding some modest options. Now the available payload of the truck is down to 1200#. A full tank of fuel is over 200# and a full tank of DEF is probably pushing 50#, so now we are down to 950# available. I weigh 260, my wife is 130, my girls are about 120 and 100. The dog is 50. That leaves less than 300# for water, food, tools & recovery gear, clothing, outdoor gear, etc (not to mention if I ever want to install a bumper & winch). That's probably enough weight if we are careful with what we bring.....but I kind of feel like if I'm going to spend all this money on a heavy duty rig and camper, I don't want to have to worry about weight at all, and I want to be able to drive it confidently in some rough places. It's amazing how quickly you get close to capacity, even with a lightweight camper on a heavy-duty truck. Makes me wonder how anyone hauls a big old Lance with a 4000# dry weight.

Now, I have no doubt that a Cummins-powered Ram 2500 can easily handle the weight of a lightweight camper plus my family, even if it does take some minor suspension mods or airbags to handle it really well. I'm more concerned with how keeping it close to or a little over capacity will affect my capability off-road, my warranty, even the unlikely but potentially realistic scenario of being found at fault in an accident because my truck was overloaded.

I'm starting to think it's probably worth spending just a little more on the 1-ton for the extra 1000#+ of payload capacity, and if I get tired of the rough ride when I'm unloaded, just get some softer springs installed. That seems like a better solution than buying the coil-spring 2500 and potentially modding it to handle the weight a little better, but still being really close to capacity on paper.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Wow, doesn't seem like very much capacity in the today's day and age for a "heavy duty" truck. Looking at some of the Power Wagens, they only have ~1400lbs. Shouldn't the rated capacity include a full tank of fuel and DEF? Not much but does give a little more room.

IPA

Observer
Wow, doesn't seem like very much capacity in the today's day and age for a "heavy duty" truck. Looking at some of the Power Wagens, they only have ~1400lbs. Shouldn't the rated capacity include a full tank of fuel and DEF? Not much but does give a little more room.

I know. I originally wanted a Power Wagon because.....well, it's obvious why I wanted one. However, the 1500# payload is just a non-starter all day long.

I could be wrong, but I thought the payload was GVWR minus the DRY vehicle weight. Maybe someone could confirm that? If it includes fuel and other fluids, that would change things a bit.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I have a 2008 Ram with leaf Springs and added leaves. The new Ram with coils and a camper and other heavy accessories like bumpers and winches still need air bags. I recommend going with a 3500 with the leaf sprung suspension.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IPA

Observer
I have a 2008 Ram with leaf Springs and added leaves. The new Ram with coils and a camper and other heavy accessories like bumpers and winches still need air bags. I recommend going with a 3500 with the leaf sprung suspension.

Thats what Im leaning towards. I like the ride of the coil spring 2500, but it seems safer to me to modify a truck with plenty of capacity to be more comfortable when unloaded (if that is even needed), then it does to mod a more comfortable unloaded truck to better handle the loaded weight.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Thats what Im leaning towards. I like the ride of the coil spring 2500, but it seems safer to me to modify a truck with plenty of capacity to be more comfortable when unloaded (if that is even needed), then it does to mod a more comfortable unloaded truck to better handle the loaded weight.
If you go with air bags on the coil truck, use the convoluted bag style and then use the Daystar air bag cradles. This set up will prevent damage to the bags when your axle droops off pavement. I have the same on my leaf sprung truck and we have done the same for other ExPo members

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

coguzzi

Adventurer
i upgraded my truck that carried my fully loaded FWC hawk (1400lbs). truck was an 02 tundra, which actually did a pretty good job of carrying the load, but was concerned i might eventually damage the frame. The tundra is now my daily driver since i love the truck. i lusted after the power wagon like everyone else for the same reasons as everyone else, but finally turned away from it because of the payload. the power wagon laramie i was going after had a posted payload of 1150lbs. SHOCKER. I've owned diesels in the past and am actually not a diesel fan (my opinion only) so went with a '15 2500 CC SB 6.4 hemi laramie. my posted payload is 3150. the diesel robs 500 lbs off payload. anyway, with my 2500 hemi and a loaded HAWK, and we always take WAY to much ****-me, wife, 65lb dog, 5lb dog, tandem inflatable kayak, 2 paddle boards, beer and food for a week, mtn bikes, sometimes a motorbike or even a sidecar rig in tow. Hell, i even tow our jeep rubicon sometimes and towed a land cruiser FJ62 with a motorcycle in boxes inside cross country with the hawk FULLY loaded to the ceiling with stuff from my grandfathers farm we were selling. that was one heavy load. i must say the 2500 hemi handles it just fine. i have not modified the suspension at all-ie-no air bags, did install real E load tires over the joke factory tires--other wise totally stock truck. I still have a 1" rake-higher in the back. i do have plans to give it a slight lift some time, but kind of hesitant since i have modded so many trucks in the past and always sacrificed something. reason i wanted a power wagon in the first place--everything is factory, so im quite happy with the factory set up honestly

That said, 3500 will give you a little bit more piece of mind but a really rough ride unloaded (friend bought one to put FWC in and complained about empty ride). the 2500 rides so damn nice. if you plan on doing a flatbed FWC in the future though, i would go 3500 for sure

IPA

Observer
I know you can keep the 2500 coil spring suspension and solve the payload problem just by getting a gas instead of diesel engine. I've never owned a diesel though, and I've always wanted one, so it's time to scratch that itch, I think. Maybe I'll and up getting rid of it for a gas engine in a few years, we'll see.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
To give you another data point:

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 5.7L gas 4X4 long bed (rear leafs) with a built out Grandby shell. It weighs in at just under 8,000 lbs loaded with 2 weeks supplies, 10 gallons of water, 180 lb me, 30 lb Beagle. Grandby has solar, refrigerator, no water system, no furnace. I think the camper weighs < 1300 lbs wet (haven't weighed truck without camper). The truck sits level loaded with neutral handling. The 2500 rides noticeably rougher than a coil spring 1500 when empty and has lots of oversteer in slippery conditions.

jim

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The 3500's have the simpler rear leafs and I believe no TPMS system so you can run any psi without the stupid light coming on.
A 3500 will easily handle a 2K# popup. Replacing the junk shocks with some 2.0 reservoir ones of your choice will help. Don Thuren's always helpful.
www.thurenfabrication.com He can also recommend which auto to get. I'd get that over the G-56.
I use Carli's inboard mounted LT airbags out back.

ripperj

Explorer
The stupid TPMS is about the only thing I don't like on my '12 Ram 2500.
I don't need a stupid light to tell me what pressure to run.

Sent from my Passport

chet6.7

Explorer
I suggest getting the 3500 and putting up with the empty ride,that can be helped with some weight in the bed. Are you going to run bigger tires? Aftermarket bumpers? Relocate or add additional batteries? Add a larger fuel or water tank? If you get a 3500 and go with the softer rear springs,like the Deavers,you rig may sag in the rear when loaded,you will need air bags,or Tembrens. I am not sure of the numbers,but,as I remember it, you loose 1K lbs. of cargo capacity with the softer rear springs...worth checking that out.

Ronski

Fuel does not take away from Payload so you can add that back in. Most manufacturers state the max possible payload. Everything you add to it as options can significantly decrease payload. The yellow door sticker will state the actual payload for the vehicle.

So I'm in the market for a new truck, largely to put a FWC (or similar) pop-up on for trips out west. I'm looking at diesel Rams, but the 2500 shortbed Ram with the Cummins only has about a 2400# payload capacity.

A FWC Hawk is 895# base weight; that can easily go up to 1200# just by adding some modest options. Now the available payload of the truck is down to 1200#. A full tank of fuel is over 200# and a full tank of DEF is probably pushing 50#, so now we are down to 950# available. I'm weigh 260, my wife is 130, my girls are about 120 and 100. The dog is 50. That leaves less than 300# for water, food, tools & recovery gear, clothing, outdoor gear, etc (not to mention if I ever want to install a bumper & winch). That's probably enough weight if we are careful with what we bring.....but I kind of feel like if I'm going to spend all this money on a heavy duty rig and camper, I don't want to have to worry about weight at all, and I want to be able to drive it confidently in some rough places. It's amazing how quickly you get close to capacity, even with a lightweight camper on a heavy-duty truck. Makes me wonder how anyone hauls a big old Lance with a 4000# dry weight.

Now, I have no doubt that a Cummins-powered Ram 2500 can easily handle the weight of a lightweight camper plus my family, even if it does take some minor suspension mods or airbags to handle it really well. I'm more concerned with how keeping it close to or a little over capacity will affect my capability off-road, my warranty, even the unlikely but potentially realistic scenario of being found at fault in an accident because my truck was overloaded.

I'm starting to think it's probably worth spending just a little more on the 1-ton for the extra 1000#+ of payload capacity, and if I get tired of the rough ride when I'm unloaded, just get some softer springs installed. That seems like a better solution than buying the coil-spring 2500 and potentially modding it to handle the weight a little better, but still being really close to capacity on paper.

Thought?

Hi, I have Dodge 3500 with a Hawk flatbed on it, total weight of truck, camper, full water tank, fuel tank, gear, everything else pluse 2 of us is 10,300 lbs. I have ride rite air bags, icon shocks, and cooper E rated tires. We are living full time in it since the beginning of august and have put about 13000 miles on. Everything has been good so far. You can see pictures of it under my posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger