Ram 2500 diesel with FWC - any concerns with payload capacity?

thanks for the comment on my rig, not sure where your located, but i worked with the guys at Mainline Overland in Westchester PA for the hawk and build. Great bunch of guys>

IPA

Observer
I did some reading today and confirmed that payload is calculated by subtracting the GVWR from the curb weight, and that the curb weight includes a full tank of fuel and all the fluids needed for the vehicle to operate. For some reason I thought fuel had to be subtracted from the payload.

So, I guess I can add about 250 pounds (31 gallons of diesel and 5 gallons of DEF) back into my calculation, meaning that with the truck fully loaded with the camper and my whole family, we'd actually have about 550 pounds remaining for gear, food, etc. 550 is better than 300 for sure, but it still doesn't leave a while lot of wiggle room after loading up with food, water, beer, clothing, recovery gear, and outdoors gear.

It's too bad that the 2500 doesn't have just a few hundred pounds more payload capacity, because it's probably less than 10% of the time that the truck will be fully loaded.

Ronski

Did you calculate the payload on your actual vehicle. The manufacturer may state "x" for a particular model but this is often the 2 wheel drive low spec model. Say in a Ford F-150 this might be an XT trim regular cab 4x2. If you order a crew cab king ranch 4x4 with moonroof, bedliner, 20 inch wheels, bed step, motorized step bars, blah blah blah expect to lose many hundreds of lbs payload. Again, the yellow door sticker is the final answer...

djcote

Or get them 6.4 Hemi. Save yourself 6 grand and add about 800lbs of payload back in. That cummins is heavy....

grogie

Like to Camp
Or get them 6.4 Hemi. Save yourself 6 grand and add about 800lbs of payload back in. That cummins is heavy....

That's what I've read on some Ram specific forums.

Also, in regards to the 3500, I don't know about the long term reliability of the optional air suspension, but Alpar.com states that it allows "softer leaf springs.”

At the recent Expo East, I was talking with guys that had Rams, and one noted to me to go with the 3500 in order to just have that added capability, and another guy with a 2500 said he should have gone with the 3500 as well. That then lead me to go do some tire kicking at a local dealer, and they had several dozen 2500s in stock, and only one 3500. I was told that they only sell a few 3500s a month so they mostly special order them, which is probably what I'd want to do anyway.

STREGA

Explorer
If you want the Cummins get it in a 3500 with the Aisin transmission IT IS worth the extra $$. If the nicer ride of the rear coils on the 2500 is more important, get it with a Hemi so the payload # are better. Having had both engines I think you will be happy with either one.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Can't say about the newer trucks but on mine I don't even notice the camper is there. No suspension modifications either. Twelve years and still going strong.

IPA

Observer
If you want the Cummins get it in a 3500 with the Aisin transmission IT IS worth the extra $$. If the nicer ride of the rear coils on the 2500 is more important, get it with a Hemi so the payload # are better. Having had both engines I think you will be happy with either one.

This is exactly what I'm looking for right now. In my area it's very hard to find a SRW 3500 with the Aisin. I also want a Tradesman trim level without all the fanciness. I have several dealerships looking for me and they've all told me that I'll have to order because there are just none in the area.

I'm not worried about the harsher ride. I know that can be improved, if necessary, with some minor suspension upgrades.

If I decide against the diesel then it'll definitely be the 2500 with the 6.4.

coguzzi

Adventurer
one thing to think about, if you order a truck you pay exactly what your build price is online. there is no haggling on price if you order. if you buy off the lot there is a lot of incentives to take advantage of. I was going to order an outdoorsman fairly well outfitted. turns out i got a laramie with everything i wanted and more for $10K off what the outdoorsman order was going to be. i saved $10K and got more stuff im glad i have now. all that stuff does effect payload, but like i said, im still around 3150 with the 6.4

as for the TPMS, it actually is reprogrammable if you find a dealer willing to do it, the procedure is out there to read. its total BS that it wants 80psi in the tires--max pressure for load range E tires. Why on earth they want you running at max pressure all the time is beyond me

chet6.7

Explorer
I follow the TPMS issue on the CF,apparently FCA did a software update that stops dealers from making changes.There are some members that bought the expensive Autel scanner,it can change the settings. I just ignore the dash light,it annoyed me for awhile, but I don't see it any more.I would read up on the air suspension on a forum,Deaver springs and air bags may be a better way to go.
I would have bought a 3500 to get the Aisin trans,but none were available in a SB,and I needed a truck right now. For me a 2500 works OK as far as payload,the ride with the 400lbs or so,I carry around is nice.I suspect a 3500 with some wt. in the bed would be an acceptable ride.
One thing about the diesels,when mine does a regen it stinks inside the cab,my neighbor,an ex-trucker, was complaining about the smell,it's that bad.The dealership is less then helpful in addressing this and a couple of other issues.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
one thing to think about, if you order a truck you pay exactly what your build price is online. there is no haggling on price if you order. if you buy off the lot there is a lot of incentives to take advantage of.

I ordered mine to get the manual transmission and something close to the options I wanted. I still got all the incentives and priced it from several dealers. You need to deal with the fleet or internet sales dept. Best deal I found was at Dennis Dillon Dodge in Caldwell, ID., (Ron Wurtz was the salesman), based on suggestions from others here. Savings was well worth the trip out to pick it up. I was dropping it in Prescott, AZ with AT Overland to add a FWC and dress it up a bit. It was easier than buying it local (Texas) and driving or shipping it out there. It was even cheaper than buying from the dealer in Prescott, with all travel expenses considered.

as for the TPMS, it actually is reprogrammable if you find a dealer willing to do it, the procedure is out there to read. its total BS that it wants 80psi in the tires--max pressure for load range E tires. Why on earth they want you running at max pressure all the time is beyond me

The service writer at my local dealer volunteered to fix mine, but his tech said no go. I live with the lights but it is just plain stupid not to be able to set it to what you are running. At least it shows the pressure in each tire so you can see if you really have a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears