Ram 2500: FlipPac or A.R.E. DCU 36" for Alaska?

Which of the two is the most useful for an extended trip to Alaska, in your opinion?

• Total voters

alaska

Observer
I checked craigslist for used Callen Campers and I must admit there are some amazing deals around ... it's incredible what a few hundred bucks can get you on the used market. :Wow1:
And these Callen Campers seem built very solid indeed...

chasespeed

Explorer
I run the cummins as well. I had 285s before the current 315s.

My mileage HASN'T really taken a hit(5spd and 3.55s). I do spend time in the woods, from the logging roads, to making roads. I will stay with a little wider tire under this heavy of a truck. If I wasnt working it so much... probably would look into a narrow 35... but.... I do prefer the narrower tires when I can. I dont have any experience in alaska though...

Chase

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Caravan Campers are built in my home town of Reno. You can order them anyway you'd like; Straight sides, window deletes, roof taller than cab etc. the list really goes on.

The Caravans are very popular around here and you can usually find a good deal on a used one using a search engine such as "Allofcraigs." The fact that you can find good used Caravan's are a testament to their construction. NV has a lot of dirt roads that are state routes and county highways.

We had a few (Two) trucks with the A.R.E. shells and they literally fell apart in the northern NV back country. They came apart at the seems. I'll try to find the pictures for you.

I have no experience with the Callen, but I think they are pretty popular with the rodeo circuit and I know those guys aren't gentle on equipment.

I have no experience driving in alaska, but I do have BFG KM2's, 255/85R16's on my F-250. I've also had them on my HJ45 diesel land Cruiser and my father had them on his FJ Cruiser, they're a great tire. I would also look at the Toyo MT's in the same size.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
A.R.E. pics

The shell was less than two years old. Mostly used on Northern NV dirt roads (A lot of which are graded on a regular basis).

The first two pics are of both the driver and passenger side rear, where the camper meets the bed rails of the truck. The truck pictured is a Ford Superduty.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

The third and fourth pictures are from the driver's side looking towards the passenger side. The entire rear wall that houses the doors was completely falling off. If you look closely at the third image, you can see that the aluminum frame for the doors is almost broke completely in two.

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

I'm being very conservative when I say the camper was less than two years old. we had two of them and they both fell apart like the one pictured. They have been replaced with caravans and they have had zero issues. NDOW, fish and game wardens have been using Caravan Campers as well with a sleeping configuration for a long time and those guys see some tough country.

alaska

Observer
When you say that "fish and game wardens have been using Caravan Campers as well with a sleeping configuration," do you mean that they were built with a sleeping configuration by Caravan Campers or that they were later modified that way, after being bought?

In re: BFG KM2's, 255/85R16's, someone pointed out in another thread that, though they are pretty good tires, Alaskan terrain can however be unforgiving and therefore it would be wise to pick a more readily available tire that can be quickly bought locally in case of need. Apparently, some Alaskan roads can chew even pretty strong tires very rapidly. What was suggested as a suitable tire that can be found anywhere is the GY Wrangler MTR+K 285/75R16 (they are slighly shorter but wider than the 255/85's).
For those interested, there is an excellent thread comparing these tires here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61213-Decision-Goodyear-MTRK-or-BFG-MTKM2 Personally, I'd rather go with the BFG KM2's, but must admit that the rationale of choosing a tire that is readily available locally when driving on such harsh soil has plenty of merit.

luchenbach

I also have a caravan camper on my truck, and can attest to its' durability. I have a composite plastic bed on my truck and I had started with a hard tonneau cover on mine, but the frame flex while towing offroad was too much for it. When looking at purchasing new campers, two dealers would only sell campers with the framed windows, and not the cooler frameless tempered windows, because they had too many dissatisfied customers with broken windows due to off roading in Nevada with the campers. I was worried about flex causing problems with a camper shell. A friend also pointed out that the only campers that the Nevada Department of Wildlife uses are caravans, and they have no problems. I bought a used one and have really used it offroad, mostly while pulling trailers. The substantial steel frame of the caravan has kept it straight and I have had no issues at all. I would highly recommend one.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
When you say that "fish and game wardens have been using Caravan Campers as well with a sleeping configuration," do you mean that they were built with a sleeping configuration by Caravan Campers or that they were later modified that way, after being bought?

I don't know if Caravan installed them, but the one I saw had a box spring frame that held a single mattress. It was able to fold up against the wall to keep it out of the way. It looked pretty comfortable.

BillTex

Adventurer
I can comment on the tires; BFG Commercial Traction TA...pretty darn good in New England slop (Maine woods, logging roads) and a heavy Duramax CC... haven't seen winter yet...but expect pretty good performance based on others reviews...

Good luck with your plans...

B

Shardsofanomaly

A traveler.
Food for thought, although the weather can be inconsistent at best having lived in Alaska. Both of these designs are very capable of handling the Alaska way of life. Honestly from hunting in the bush, I never had a problem with the critters roaming around while camping in a tent, just don't pet the animals and you'll be fine. What it really boils down to is what do you want to get out of the equipment? I.e. function, protection, reliability etc.
One thing that I strongly recommend is picking up a copy of "The Milepost" it is a indispensable resource. Legendary Alaska trip planner and Alaska travel guide to the highways, roads, ferries, lodgings, recreation, sightseeing attractions and services along the Alaska Highway to and within Alaska, including Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories and the Yukon. Word of caution having traversed the "Al-Can Hwy" numerous times , the worst part of the drive is that from Whitehorse, YK to the Alaska Border, the frost heaves (road displacement) are deceptive at size and depth, slow and steady wins. Also, extra Jerry Cans are a must, I highly recommend the Justrite AccuFlow™ DOT Approved 5 Gallon Gas & Flammables Type II Red Safety Can with 1" D Hose found at http://www.northernsafety.com. Expensive yes, but well worth the investment, I own four. Recall those nasty frost heaves in the road? I hit one going roughly 75mph, and bottomed out causing my lashing in my thule carrier to snap realizing on of the aforementioned canisters, nothing but dents and scratches and no leaks!
PS. If you're driving up bring a camera, British Columbia is absolutely beautiful.
PPS. Be prepared to be annoyed at large R.v. caravans along the way whom frequently stop.... Hope this helps in your endeavor.

Jason

alaska

Observer
So, here's the decision I've reached....

It will be something like this:

The Callen...
Callen_Camper.jpg

The A.R.E. DCU with vertical sides...
A.R.E._DCU_Vertical_Side.jpg

and am also keeping an eye out for a Caravan Camper, which seems to be, as far as strength/quality of materials, in between the Callen and the A.R.E. DCU... However, though it has been said several times that Caravan Campers will build anything to your specs, I haven't been able to find a single picture of a Caravan Camper with vertical walls, which tells me they are rarely built that way. Also, there are not as many CC's on the used market and unfortunately getting one new would imply traveling to Reno, Nevada. A shame, because they seem to be very fine products and extra strong too which will provide countless years of service even in harsh environments. I wouldn't mind one of those at all...

So my plan now is to begin searching (patiently) the used market for a Callen (my first choice) or an A.R.E. DCU (more difficult to find used than the Callen with the specs I have in mind), and will also be on the look for CC's....you never know what could be found with a bit of luck.

Having plenty of time on my side is certainly a good thing. :)
I plan to begin building the one I will get my hands on early next year. :wings:

alaska

Observer
What it really boils down to is what do you want to get out of the equipment? I.e. function, protection, reliability etc.

Yep, all of that plus the ability of doing mild to medium off-roading without the equipment falling down in pieces.

One thing that I strongly recommend is picking up a copy of "The Milepost" it is a indispensable resource.

I have that, picked up a copy last week. That's excellent advice for one planning a trip to Alaska.....it's a great travel guide.:victory:

Word of caution having traversed the "Al-Can Hwy" numerous times , the worst part of the drive is that from Whitehorse, YK to the Alaska Border, the frost heaves (road displacement) are deceptive at size and depth, slow and steady wins.

What's your advice in re: proper tires for this task?

Hope this helps in your endeavor.

Very much so.... Thanks a lot! :)
By the way, you seem to have a great deal of experience traveling in AK. I have a little thread going on in the AK section, if you feel like checking it out and perhaps contributing your expertise there too: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ar-travel-plans......getting-ready-for-Alaska!
Thanks again!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
IMG_0812.JPG

What about this thing?

I know it has the cloth sides, but still it makes a very nice interior space. It may suit as a compromise.

I dono, I just thought you might like to see it. Sadly I can not recall who makes it, but I believe they are based here in Utah someplace. (I am sure if you want one, someone on here can chime in and tell us the name of it...)

lstzephyr

wanderer
I don't know if its been mentioned but an old school non cabover alaskan might be perfect.

If its down it looks like a truck cap(ok a BIG one, maybe paint it body color or something) and you can still sleep in it, when it's up you get full standing height.

zeke2.0

Adventurer
I couldn't find the weights of either the callen or caravan camper shells, could someone post those, based on the OP's requirements? Wondering if they will work on a late model F150, or does all that steel put them too close to maximum cargo load?

alaska

Observer
If you want to know precisely, it will depend on your chosen configuration. But to give you an idea, for what I want (see my last two pictures at post #40) - and keep in mind that I have a full-size, long-bed truck - I'm looking at approximately 600-700 lbs. for the Callen Campers shell and 400-500 lbs. for the Caravan Campers top. The A.R.E. DCU's are much lighter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears