Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
What rack and tent are you using?

The rack is sold by Diesel Power Products. It is built by nemesis Ind. for DPP. Mine is a Short Narrow with a passenger side awning mount. The Awning is a Ezi Awn Bat 270. The Tent is a 23 Zero "Byron" model with annex room. I preferred the narrow so I could keep the awning closer to the cab lines.

Ravenmad

Observer
Tires and wheels mounted today, and on the truck. Ummmm, and back off. Spent quite a bit of time today trimming the inner fender wells, cutting the front bumper and modifying the inner fender well braces to make room.... In the end, they clear but need to be balanced badly.

Attachments

• signal-2019-01-21-122251.jpg
    signal-2019-01-21-122251.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 150
  • signal-2019-01-21-123322.jpg
    signal-2019-01-21-123322.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20190121_174248.jpg
    20190121_174248.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 164

GarrickG

Good gracious!

Raven, you definitely have a beautiful set up...

Thank you for (and Phreak) for the info on comms...

Good stuff there man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
Tires and wheels mounted today, and on the truck. Ummmm, and back off. Spent quite a bit of time today trimming the inner fender wells, cutting the front bumper and modifying the inner fender well braces to make room.... In the end, they clear but need to be balanced badly.

More pictures please.

Also, please go into more detail on the trimming needed. I’m actually really surprised any was needed at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
A few more pics. I will take some more detailed photos when I get back to the shop later this week. Basically, AEV indicates that you can run a 41.5" tire on a 17x10" wheel with 4.83" of backspacing. So, after some math I am running a 43x14.5" tire on a 17x8.5" wheel with 4" of backspacing. I had to cut about 3/4" out of the front bumper and move the lower section of the Highmark fender flare forward until it touched the plastic surround for the front driving light. Then I removed the front inner fender well support and "added" some more radius to it so the leading edge of the inner fender liner would line up with the new cut edge on the bumper. After that I had to cut some plastic on the rear of the inner fender well that shields the front lower cab mount. I also replicated the steering stop exstention on the passenger side steering knuckle to the drivers side. With that, the tires do not rub the radius arms and clear everything by about 1/2" under compression. Its close, but it fits. I really wanted a 4.25" backspace wheel, it would have gave me a little more clearance (less scrub radius), but 4" will have to work for now until I can afford some custom backspaced, forged deadlock wheels ;).

Attachments

• 5776_1548131391164.jpeg
    5776_1548131391164.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 5778_1548131387779.jpeg
    5778_1548131387779.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 5786_1548131360150.jpeg
    5786_1548131360150.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 173

ttengineer

Adventurer
Those tires look sooo much better than a 40.

It really fills the wheel well much like a 37 does on a stock fender.

So do you think you would have had to trim on a 4.5”BS wheel?

Have you thought about high clearance radius arms like the ones from Carli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
A few more pics. I will take some more detailed photos when I get back to the shop later this week. Basically, AEV indicates that you can run a 41.5" tire on a 17x10" wheel with 4.83" of backspacing. So, after some math I am running a 43x14.5" tire on a 17x8.5" wheel with 4" of backspacing. I had to cut about 3/4" out of the front bumper and move the lower section of the Highmark fender flare forward until it touched the plastic surround for the front driving light. Then I removed the front inner fender well support and "added" some more radius to it so the leading edge of the inner fender liner would line up with the new cut edge on the bumper. After that I had to cut some plastic on the rear of the inner fender well that shields the front lower cab mount. I also replicated the steering stop exstention on the passenger side steering knuckle to the drivers side. With that, the tires do not rub the radius arms and clear everything by about 1/2" under compression. Its close, but it fits. I really wanted a 4.25" backspace wheel, it would have gave me a little more clearance (less scrub radius), but 4" will have to work for now until I can afford some custom backspaced, forged deadlock wheels ;).

Truck is looking great, what tires are you running?

Ravenmad

Observer
Those tires look sooo much better than a 40.

It really fills the wheel well much like a 37 does on a stock fender.

So do you think you would have had to trim on a 4.5”BS wheel?

Have you thought about high clearance radius arms like the ones from Carli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deff. The front bumper has to be trimmed no matter what and the same with the front inner fender liner support bracket. with 4" of backspacing the tire is very close to the radius arm. Even with the steering stopes from AEV added, a 4.5" backspace with this large of a circumference wheel will rub hard against the radius arm.. I bet its possible to clear though with a set of aftermarket high clearance radius arms....:)

Ravenmad

Observer
Truck is looking great, what tires are you running?

The tires are 42x14.5x17 Maxxis Trepador's. These are just my wheeling tires, still running the Continental MPT 81s on the road, but soon I will have a new set of Maxxis Rzr's in the 40x13.5x20 variety for daily use and the Conti's will be relegated to over landing.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
The tires are 42x14.5x17 Maxxis Trepador's. These are just my wheeling tires, still running the Continental MPT 81s on the road, but soon I will have a new set of Maxxis Rzr's in the 40x13.5x20 variety for daily use and the Conti's will be relegated to over landing.

Nice, let us know how those Maxxis Trepadors do on and off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998